Epon AF-Tour vs Yamaha Tour

dodo

2 years ago I walked into a golf store to test the Epon 301 thinking the AF-Tour was too hard to play. I tried many clubs Epon 501, Miura, Fourteen, Mizuno etc. but I fell in love with the feel of the AF-Tour. On the Trackman my dispersion was the same as the Epon 501 while the Miura and Epon 301 where much harder to play.

I still love the clubs I play them with KBS tour stiff shaft .The only thing is that the ball flight is very high. (but not ballooning)

I don’t see a lot off talk about the AF tour on this form but a lot about the Yamaha Tour do I miss something and when the new Yamaha Tour 2012 comes out should I be on the list? (Supo67?)

If somebody played them both what is the difference feel, forgiveness. flight etc.

Thanks Dodo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had them with a higher launch shaft in them, and they're still excellent, but putting SP Blues in them makes em perfect, it's the only iron setup I have that I'll never screw around with...

J.

One thing to keep in mind is that the AF-Tours have weaker lofts compared to the Yamaha Tours. That coupled with the KBS would give you the higher ball flight. If you would like a lower flight, you could check out the Blues as J suggested.

Ya, def something to keep in mind, AF Tour lofts are super traditional and Epon keeps there short and mid iron lofts pretty constant at 4 degree intervals between clubs, alot of other manufacturers will use 3, 4, and 5 degree intervals throughout a set, I ordered all lofts 1 degree strong and that has worked out quite well for me.

J.

Thanks I will look into the SP blue maybe I will try and put it in one club first. Is the stiff feel of the SP the same as the KBS stiff?

I was also wondering what the difference is between the Yamaha feel and forgiveness.

Dodo

Edited by dodo

the sp blue will be much smoother but kickpoint is different, more towards the butt.

so will play differently.

i miss my aftours so much, gaming the 302s and couldnt be happier.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my 2 all time favs irons.

the aftours should only be allowed to be sold with NS sp blue in them. IMO

i had them with the kbs tours

monster high balls i discoverd . great feel, but oh so high.

i had them with soft stepped x orange i nthe lower lofted irons and soft stpped blues i nthe scoreres , which was a great idea for my mate, he loved t at idea so much he did it wit hhis miuraisms and thast where hes eneded his hoing days but for me.., agn i got them going just a bit too high.

ah if only id gone x flex to start!!

as per my discussion this morn. these af tours sit dead smack i n the middle of blade and cavity

if iwas to have ONLY ONE SET of irons it would be these ,they play like blades if u need them, and soft cavs if uwantthose.

they are the perfect sinlge set of irons IMO

however........................,

being the dirty rotten hoooooooooooo that i am one set isnt enough , so i found these sitting idle for abso0lutely no reason what so ever.

they are great. but the super blades of miura and kyoei got all the game time

then i found yammy tours thnks to bdog.

these do a similar job, to the af tours but on the cavity style look, rather than the blade stlye look.

neither of these irons are my most accurate or honed in, but for getting on the short green stuff i found both incredible

they are both endo forged so u know they are mustard .

if u like cavity muscles style best then go the yammy tours hands down(over the epon 302, just)

if u like the blade style then the af tours, simplicity exemplified.

It really cannot have been said any better, seriously verbatim the conversation I had with Stew a bit ago.... I cannot imagine the amount of metaphors, analogies, and crazy adjectives that I have used to describe the AF Tours since I got them, but it just comes down to one thing.... They work... They do what you need them to do... And theyre one of the few sets of irons that can adapt to do what you want them to do... Weather it's perform like a blade, or give you the smooth playability of a cavity, they just excel, not in a flashy way that stands out in any one specific area(although they do have the butter Endo feel which in my opinion stands out as being the most rewarding in golf), but in kinda a quiet way that makes you consider gaming them no matter which type of course your playing that day, or what type of conditions your playing in.... The same can be said about the Yam Tours, I have only had 2 rounds with the 2011 Yammy Tours so far, but it's very clear that they have the same type of versatile performance that I have come to love so much from the AF Tours...

J.

So I ordered the SP Blues to put in the AF tours but it was kind of difficult because all the club fitters in NY try to confins me that the KBS C is a much better shaft and they never sell the SP (they call it even crab) blues and nobody is playing it on the PGA .I trust the experience of this forum more.

I can't wait I will have them next week so it will give me some time before the new Yamaha's comes out.............

Edited by dodo

So I ordered the SP Blues to put in the AF tours but it was kind of difficult because all the club fitters in NY try to confins me that the KBS C is a much better shaft and they never sell the SP (they call it even crab) blues and nobody is playing it on the PGA .I trust the experience of this forum more.

I can't wait I will have them next week so it will give me some time before the new Yamaha's comes out.............

Nippon NS are not easy to get in the US and dealers dont stock or have much experience with them.

If someone wants to play the most popular shaft on the pga tour then they should go for DG.

Where in NY are you dodo? You could order the SP Blues from T and just have any fitter install them, tell me where you are and I can hook you up with some solid builders...

J.

thats just crab!! :) seriously they say that because they dont know any better. nippons are

not the most readily available shaft. i can tell you though that they are superior to dgs, kbs imho.

i think most will recommend the blues over the c tapers anyday of the week. go tours and blues you

cannot go wrong with them

Where in NY are you dodo? You could order the SP Blues from T and just have any fitter install them, tell me where you are and I can hook you up with some solid builders...

J.

Manhatten, but I found a club builder on Long Island they also can Pured the shaft for me I was only surprised by the negative Nippon comments when I was calling around.

Thanks for the offer.

NS Pros are also gonna be more expensive in the US, I bought the set of SP Blues I have in the AF Tours from my builder and paid quite a bit more than Tario charged me...

Regarding the C-Tapers vs Blues thing.... For me personally, the Blues are the better shaft, more direct, smoother, and gives me more consistent results... They have been around a while and just seem more refined, again, just my opinion... I hit the C tapers, def not a bad shaft, I prefer it alot over the original KBS Tour, does what it's meant to do, low launch, low spin without a doubt, continues the KBS tradition of being the longest shafts around, I just personally prefer the Blues and think they feel much nicer and do a better job of accomplishing the same things the C Tapers accomplish... Alot of guys love the C Tapers and prefer them to all other shafts, everyone is different, and likes different things... One thing I do know beyond any doubt though is that the Blues are heaven in the AF Tours, all shaft comparisons aside, this combo just flat out performs, feels great, and I def think you'll love it... I have NEVER heard a bad thing from anyone who has hit this combo...

I agree 100 percent with the Jamnguy1, DG is by miles and miles the most gamed shaft on tour, if anyone wants to play the most used shaft on tour(any tour), than that's what they should be playing, and in my opinion it's quite silly for anyone to judge any piece of equipment based on tour usage alone... The same people saying that are the guys who get all wobbly kneed when I bring my Miura Baby Blades or AF Tours into there shops and just can't wait to ask if they can hit them, and there isn't one tour player anywhere using either of those sets of sticks...

J.

Pete's Golf shop right? Assuming I'm right because he's really the only big SST pure guy around LI, Make sure you get a chance to actually speak with Pete, he's a really good guy and will make sure everything goes well, and your happy with all the work done, I would be very surprised if he gives you any greif about the NS Pros as he was the first to ever suggest I try em even before I found JDM clubs...

J.

Thanks TSG for all the info yes it is Pete's in LI they didn't make any comment about it I had to call around before I could find somebody who can get them fast and a few of them where commenting about it.

I could not find the shaft on the Goltoimpress site and and Pete (not him self) gave me deal on the PURING of the shaft. If I had to bring them in to Pete's they would have charged me much more for PURING and swapping the shaft around.

I see a lot off positive feed back on the SP shaft on this Forum so I ordered them. I love every club in my bag that I bought after reading this forum from Supo,Tario and spoon. Every time they come with new clubs I have to stop my self not to click the BUY button for the ONOFF's or YAMAHA's and a CRAZY driver I think we all want to have Supo's life.

Edited by dodo

Thanks TSG for all the info yes it is Pete's in LI they didn't make any comment about it I had to call around before I could find somebody who can get them fast and a few of them where commenting about it.

I could not find the shaft on the Goltoimpress site and and Pete (not him self) gave me deal on the PURING of the shaft. If I had to bring them in to Pete's they would have charged me much more for PURING and swapping the shaft around.

I see a lot off positive feed back on the SP shaft on this Forum so I ordered them. I love every club in my bag that I bought after reading this forum from Supo,Tario and spoon. Every time they come with new clubs I have to stop my self not to click the BUY button for the ONOFF's or YAMAHA's and a CRAZY driver I think we all want to have Supo's live.

i think once you have and hit your clubs you will feel releived. good choice there and wise decision.

youl be extremely happy thats for sure. actually you could not have gone wrong with both your

choices and either or would have been great. it all boils down to personal preference and what catches

your eye.

good luck

did i just read that right?

someone said Sp were pants?

im speechless. that guy shouldnt be allowed to sell clubs, what a moron.

im just putting my spare set of sst pured ones in a set of new irons , that were made for eachother.

cant wait. maybe ill send moron guy the 7 iron to try out.

Here is part of a comments one claims to be a PGA tour fitter for Mizuno years ago.

"just find hard to believe

knowing the rest of the nippon line.

the peening is certainly the best

of them where the 850 950 1050gh

is a piece of junk."

"no i dont carry nippon product

as i feel they are well inferior

of kb."

"its nothing special

5 year old design

ctaper much better"

Here is part of a comments one claims to be a PGA tour fitter for Mizuno years ago.

"just find hard to believe

knowing the rest of the nippon line.

the peening is certainly the best

of them where the 850 950 1050gh

is a piece of junk."

"no i dont carry nippon product

as i feel they are well inferior

of kb."

"its nothing special

5 year old design

ctaper much better"

hes a very closed minded chap

i bet hes a kbs tour rep and not an nspro one. most

will usually bash products they do not carry. you run into

a lot of them in all fields:)

and honestly i would choose nspro and its many variants anyday

to the kbs. its a feel thing. many like the kbs feel, im one of those

who like the nippons smooth punchy feel. you cant please everyone

That's kinda disturbing that any professional fitter would make comments like that... I'll even go so far as to say they really shouldn't be fitting people for clubs if they are willing to tell someone what is "better" without knowing anything about that person's game or exactly what they need from a piece of equipment... If everyone here on this forum can understand that "better" is a subjective term in regards to golf gear, than any professional fitter should have more than a passing acquaintance with the concept....

J.

I just received my clubs back from Pete's what I noticed is that after they PURE the shafts that the NSPRO logo's are all on the same spot while I assume the logo's where there from the factory.

This means the shaft left the factory all ready Pure or spined did somebody else PURE there NSPRO superpeening and noticed the same? (or they never saw the PURE machine)

Dodo

hmmmmm he musythave re done the stickers, bec the chances of that happening are remote to say the least.

even the best made shafts wont be perfectly spined on release fro what im told

I just received my clubs back from Pete's what I noticed is that after they PURE the shafts that the NSPRO logo's are all on the same spot while I assume the logo's where there from the factory.

This means the shaft left the factory all ready Pure or spined did somebody else PURE there NSPRO superpeening and noticed the same? (or they never saw the PURE machine)

Dodo

funny youd ask, my shafts were spined and they lined up exactly where the logos are centered.

coincidence? maybe. but i have built several sets and most were the same, especially in the modus

and the peenings.

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

spining is time consuming, and a company like nspro cant possibly spine every single shaft

that comes out of the factory. theyr tolerances are pretty good though i must say