Epon AF-Tour vs Yamaha Tour

dodo

I started this topic with my Af Tour with KBS tour shaft which have a high ball flight and ask for info about the flight of the Yamaha tour .

I got good feedback and put the SP Blue in to lower the flight.The shaft feel great but I'm shorter then my KBS tour even against the wind and have more back spin on the greens probably i'm hitting down to much on the ball.I also think the SP blue are a little on the heavy and stiff site for me (86 m/h 6 iron) .I'm testing now the C-taper and hitting this with the most distance and best dispersion.In the mean time I got the Yamaha 2012 tour with the Nippon Pro 1050 shaft thinking of replacing them but then i start hitting them and this combo feels fantastic and hit them a full club further then any of the other set-ups (so probably weight).I'm confused now and next week i gonna test all these shaft including Modus3 and Aerotech on a launch monitor.

My only conclusion is that you have to test each shaft before you can judge what is the best fit for your swing until now I have to say that the Japanese shaft feels better then the American but not perform better (i also played the PX and S300)

P.S. all shaft above stiff.

Edited by dodo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why they make different shafts with different profiles because no one shaft is right for everyone. I'm glad there are choices beyond Dynamic Gold, right now I'm getting very good results with C-tapers and Super Peening Orange.

I started this topic with my Af Tour with KBS tour shaft which have a high ball flight and ask for info about the flight of the Yamaha tour .

I got good feedback and put the SP Blue in to lower the flight.The shaft feel great but I'm shorter then my KBS tour even against the wind and have more back spin on the greens probably i'm hitting down to much on the ball.I also think the SP blue are a little on the heavy and stiff site for me (86 m/h 6 iron) .I'm testing now the C-taper and hitting this with the most distance and best dispersion.In the mean time I got the Yamaha 2012 tour with the Nippon Pro 1050 shaft thinking of replacing them but then i start hitting them and this combo feels fantastic and hit them a full club further then any of the other set-ups (so probably weight).I'm confused now and next week i gonna test all these shaft including Modus3 and Aerotech on a launch monitor.

My only conclusion is that you have to test each shaft before you can judge what is the best fit for your swing until now I have to say that the Japanese shaft feels better then the American but not perform better (i also played the PX and S300)

P.S. all shaft above stiff.

Id be interested to know how you get on with the Modus3 shafts....

Cheers

D

Hmmmm.....use nippons and be a girl....hahahahhahaha......im guilty as charged, however i may even be worse, i play sp orange in x flex and sp blues in stiff, however i also game a set of rifle lite 7.0 and a set of mfs115 which feel like 8.0s...It doesnt make any sense but i rotate flexes based on how i feel....In the winter time, all i do is live in the weight room and when i do play, i prefer reg flex because i am stiff from lifting and its cold as heck outside and i need maximum carry when it is 39 deg farenheit !

* On a side note doesnt Ishikawa have a lot of girl fans ???? does that make u a girl as well ??? (Im a big Ishikawa fan myself)

Edited by robbie

Hey dodo,

You should definitely test C taper Reg/ R+ VS ns pro 1050. Another thing to keep in mind is the head you're using. That will have a FAR GREATER effect on launch and spin. KBS tour is a better fit on blades.

It's not about Japan Vs USA ppl. I've used japan driver and fw shafts all my golf life. NO COMPLAINTS!

I've gamed yamaha(08 tours) and miura(mb-5003) irons, tourstage + fourteen everything. I understand the addiction.

Ns Pro 1150 were my gamers before KBS tour came out. Nippon is just too torky and very inconsistent.

KBS is a SOLID brand. Stable, great feel and PERFORMANCE. end of.

Ishikawa is an amazing youngster, awesome putting and short game.

Waiting for the day he is sure of his swing.

I'm also a huge RORSfan.

Hello Fan,

I was doubting the C-taper stiff and R+ (maybe hard stepped) i will give R+ a try to.

I have the KBS tour in the AF tour blade and played very well with I'm just looking for some more penetrating flight as I have all ready with the C-taper I'm stetting now.

After the test i hope to have more info thanks for your advise.

Never really hated 'feel' for any shaft I used in the right flex though I have a preference after getting used to a certain feel. It's more on the result. I found the flight of modus3 similar to KBS tours. KBS c taper flight similar to project x. Feel wise definitely a difference but I could go with any if talking feel & the faithful dgs300 will be up there too. kbS C-tapers is giving me the

Results & feel combo right now but but love to try the SPBlue.

ooooooh now this is a good point robb made

winter golf using lighter of softer flex shafts

this is exactly what im pondering right now.

its 0 to 7* at the moment.

i used my monaccos last weekend and if i didnt absolutely middle it oh gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd did it hurt.

they are well put away for the yr now.

thats a damn good idea.

shimada tours here we come for the winter.

So what we have is a bunch of different companies saying their product is the best, can't blame them for that. Then we have the loyalists and players who actually prefer a particular model or brand of iron shaft over all others, no wrong in that either.

I've played pretty much everything, I'm an average player but I always make sure Tatsuro gives it a try as well as that man really has no bias. I have a harder time looking down on steel shafts than I do graphite. DG, NS, KBS, Shimada all have some great products it's all about what you get along with.

I'm a fan of NS950/1150 in players type irons. I still like DG in more forgiving heads, and KBS I haven't gotten along with but never put enough time into those C-Tapers.