Anti left shaft for Ryoma 10.5

I´m a 95 mph swinger / slow hitter, sometimes with more agressive transition.

I played the last days the new Ryoma D1 ST 10.5 with Crazy LY01 R2 (313g, 226 cpm, D0.5, 45.25``).

Normally I play Kamui 456 with Crazy LY01 Nero R (314g, 44,5``, D1, 240 cpm). Cpm measured with 5´´ clamp.

My normal trajectory is straight / slight fade.

With the Ryoma D1 ST / Crazy LY01 R2 I got big high hooks. Only when I baby the shaft, I got sometimes very good results.

I´m looking for a lower, more piercing trajectory. Which anti-left shaft to try in the Ryoma ST??

Edited by sundowner

contrary to a popular belief there are no anti left or anti right shafts because such a shaft would not be legal as far as USGA/R&A equipment regulations go. maybe some manufacturers make non conforming asymmetrical shafts designed to do just that but if you are looking for conforming solution look for a stiffer and less torque shaft and that should also help with your desired trajectory.

A stiffer shaft maybe to fix the hook.

Definitely stiffer shaft or could be something as simple as a grip change or for me it was grip pressure.

I thought my grip pressure was fine...this week my pro conducted a test of my grip in terms of 1-10, 10 means gripping like a gorilla and 1 with hands barely on the grip. Ideal is probably a 4 or so. I was shocked to find out I was gripping more like a 7-8 after the test. Simply starting easing up on grip and voila, no more hooking!

Actually when i grip tight, my hands do not turn over resulting in big blocks, but when the hands are loose i get a nice draw !

So I am right in thinking then, say if I grip it like I've got my hands round the ex mother in laws throat I'll pull the ball Left??

Hmmmm could explain a lot!!

I was gripping the other days on drives like I was barely hanging onto the club almost to the point where I thought I'd lose the club...must have gained 7-10 yards and straight as heck. I've also gotten into a bad habit with my driver complements of trying to saw off my iron shots which is to stop the swing just after impact. That coupled with the first 3 holes at my club being OB left and fearing the left side of the course. Doing my best now to let the shaft whack my left shoulder on the followthrough.

if your hands are really tight, it is harder to release the club properly, but of course if u pivot back and pull it, it will go left...haha unless u have a xxflex then it will be a pull /slice, which actually works out ok

I think if you can just "be the ball" and forget about all that technical stuff it all works out better

fix target - routine - trigger - go!

Def a stiffer shaft will work. but playing around the grip size also helps in the overall experience, I am experimenting on that atm.

contrary to a popular belief there are no anti left or anti right shafts because such a shaft would not be legal as far as USGA/R&A equipment regulations go. maybe some manufacturers make non conforming asymmetrical shafts designed to do just that but if you are looking for conforming solution look for a stiffer and less torque shaft and that should also help with your desired trajectory.

I fully agree here Ant. Never got the "this shaft guarantees left side out of play" talk. I can pull any shaft left LOL.

To the TS, I think for 95mph, and LY01 R2 flex is way too soft which may contribute to hooks. I say contribute for obvious reasons. I think a normal R or maybe even and SR is better suited to you?

Thank you for the comments.

I will pullout the stiffer Crazy LY01 Nero R of the Kamui 456 and install it without changing the grip in the Ryoma.

Both heads are 0.5 closed, so I hope I get the same straight flight and tight dispersion as with the Kamui 456.

On perfect hits the Ryoma is def. longer...-)

With the softer Crazy LY01 R2 flex I tried a new grip. Maybe this is also a problem...

Edited by sundowner

At 95mph you should have an SR flex

I already ordered the Royal Deco SR after reading the very good posts "Ryoma+Crazy RD" at the forum..-)

The flex of the Crazy Deco SR should similiar to the Crazy LY01 Nero R. A lot of people describe the RD half a flex softer (?).

At 44,5 - 45,0 inch the Crazy LY01 R plays like a lot of stiffer profiles at 45,5++ inch.

I let measured the cpm depending on shaft/club length. For 1 inch decrease in club length I got +8-9 cpm.

I already ordered the Royal Deco SR after reading the very good posts "Ryoma+Crazy RD" at the forum..-)

The flex of the Crazy Deco SR should similiar to the Crazy LY01 Nero R. A lot of people describe the RD half a flex softer (?).

At 44,5 - 45,0 inch the Crazy LY01 R plays like a lot of stiffer profiles at 45,5++ inch.

I let measured the cpm depending on shaft/club length. For 1 inch decrease in club length I got +8-9 cpm.

Yes I read the RD plays half to a full flex softer.

As for your CPM coment, correct in general and in theory. You CPM measurement is butt only I presume? If yes, I donlt think you are going to have a real effect in real flex for 0.5 to 1 inch. It will bounce or CPM higher no doubt.

I play the Ryoma with RD SR flex. I would say it is true to flex I am in the 90 to 100 MPH range. I get a straight to slight fade ball flight with this combo. The only time I get a left is when I make a snatch it from the top swing and that gives me the pull hook.

I play the Ryoma with RD SR flex. I would say it is true to flex I am in the 90 to 100 MPH range. I get a straight to slight fade ball flight with this combo. The only time I get a left is when I make a snatch it from the top swing and that gives me the pull hook.

This is me...... my experience as well.

Send T. a PM. Thanks!

I played today the Ryoma D1 10.5 now with the stiffer Crazy LY01 R.

With the 0.5 closed 11,5* Kamui 456 head I got a straight flight (or as I like a draw/fade). Tight dispersion.

With the 0.5 closed 10,5* Ryoma D1 head I got a much more left biased flight / big hooks to adjust. Trajectory seems higher compared to the 11,5* Kamui.

Edited by sundowner