Best JDM Fairway wood?

Norboo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For as much as I don't really care for the Egg's looks or sound, it still is probably my favorite all time club. 3W has been the bane of my existence for a long time. Used to hit a hot low slice off the deck all the time. Now I just bomb it straight. I have an FW80 in mine and it only plays 42.5" so it is deadly accurate, although I don't really think any longer than any other 3Ws I have had recently. I hit it twice yesterday and it was dead quiet/still on the course...I think everyone on the course was trying to figure out what the *#$& the noise was. I have found a little lead tape on the back of the head quiets it down nicely and lowers ball flight a smidge.

The RC and Yamaha are definitely more visually and audibly appealing that's for sure.

As for working the ball with a 3W on a 220 yard approach shot....I will be honest and tell you I am just hoping to hit it straight and at the green, let alone trying to pick a place on the green to land it. I will leave that for the guys getting paid to play. Our greens are small enough around here that it is hard enough to hit & hold them with a 9 iron let alone a 3W!

i have RC Pro TP which is probably what that Sonartec is based on and same story as you, its beaten up but its all cosmetic and i wont trade it for any other 3w out there. was interested in new TR/TX too which seemed like successor of that old line but even tho RC claims custom builds for them they not really custom builds where it matters and hosels on new models are significantly shorter so less room for tweakability so to speak. stick with it or at least keep it as backup if you go for a new one. 3w that just works is so difficult to find.

I have a Sonartec 3 wood that has a long neck that allows for bending to customize face angle, loft etc. Basically its a re-badged RC and has been in my bag dornthe longest time. cannot find anything remotely as good, even the VS Tour pales into insignificance beside it. I even had it refinished as it was a little beaten up, coupled with a Fuji Rombax 7V05 it just gives me the right trajectory and is so easy to shape shots with.... would like to try the new Yammy, maybe Epon but not sure of a titanium fairway head....would also like to try an RC TX ... nommemtion, or reviews anywhere I can find.

I agree with the royal collection sentiments. They always have a great 3 wood in their rotation, but recently I have been playing the Srixon z-tx with weights (JDM release). I got it on a whim about a 1.5 years ago and it has been in play ever since. 3 woods are very personal, and this is a good fit for my eye. It is plenty long, and more solid than a lot of newer tech 3 woods I have played.

post-827-0-96997800-1353373740.jpg

post-827-0-61535500-1353373827.jpg

I haven't found anything yet to kick out my R9 tour 13 with Blueboard 83 yet. Still trying.

As for my 3 wood, I am attached to my 2008 Japan model Taylormade VSteel ( one with the screw on weight on the sole )

I was not excited at first, but after I re-shafted with an ,again older model, Rombax Prototype 80C and installed with an angled ferrule from Golfsmith to make the face be more open. Well, this really changed how it hits. I have tried at least three different newer model 3 woods since then,

( JBeam FX-BM, Adams XTD Ti Super fwy, Tour Edge CB4 Tour ) but none have replaced the Vsteel.

I also know that quite a few JGTO Pros still carry Vsteel .... which is encouraging to know that I am not alone :)

is this the one ???

i dont like it at all.

V steel 5 wood (Asia model with one screw) is stupid easy to hit! They are not the longest but just soo easy to hit...of course the feel can't compare to yammy, epon and RC. Crazy black is another FW worth to check out! I bought a 7 wood from Tae, shaft it up with ozik F7M2, they are really good! Yammy, RC and epon are good too! Oh, the egg is also another good one if you are looking for distance! Make sure u pair up with the right shaft!

is this the one ???

i dont like it at all.

Here's mine.

post-14163-0-85170500-1353432830.jpg

Edited by nobmontana

same here, managed to get bb 103 but rc tp pro is more on a light side (its not light per se its just small volume head hence less weight to begin with) so took quite a bit of tape to make it balance reasonably.

Gotta love the BB... Have one in a Vsteel... awesome

I haven't found anything yet to kick out my R9 tour 13 with Blueboard 83 yet. Still trying.

I agree with the royal collection sentiments. They always have a great 3 wood in their rotation, but recently I have been playing the Srixon z-tx with weights (JDM release). I got it on a whim about a 1.5 years ago and it has been in play ever since. 3 woods are very personal, and this is a good fit for my eye. It is plenty long, and more solid than a lot of newer tech 3 woods I have played.

Man, that Srixon looks good!

Here's mine.

post-14163-0-85170500-1353432830.jpg

Oh, boy all the wood from back in time. Makes me want to look the other way in the fairway woods time line to decide on what to play next. :)

Am i the only one who liked the epon 202ht?

reason why i was so happy is i specified specs. epon was spot on. stock weight is @ 211grams i specified for something + 10 grams.

tolerances are sick! i got the exact weight! 1* open

221grams!! like magic

custom weight + 10grams

4615114400_3a5bef9ab0_b.jpg

stock weight 211 +/- 3

4614495245_4b57e68995_b.jpg

Not sure about the HT but Epon fairways are (to me at least) notoriously difficult to hit. On the other hand, older Yamaha FWs are very easy to hit.

Not sure about the HT but Epon fairways are (to me at least) notoriously difficult to hit. On the other hand, older Yamaha FWs are very easy to hit.

thats why they came out with HT, shallower and easier to elevate.

weird i didnt like the epon fw at all. i cant put a finger on why.. but it ddint do anyhting for me.

i tred the yamaha pretty close after that and instantly fell in love will always have a yamma close bye

I found the AF202 very easy to Hit!

It was my go to club of I needed to Dial my swing or find the bottom of my swing path!!

The balance and feel we're second to none!!

Never hit the HT

202HT is severely underrated. Get the HT. The normal model is a pain unless off of the tee.

But still for me the latest Gen Egg is still my favorite by a wide margin of course attached with a Crazy FW-80.

I'm getting my Egg HD this week with a Fubuki then putting the FW-80 in it. Expecting that one to be a monster!

Love my Egg/FW80 combo. Feels like every single bit of energy is being transmitted to the ball on impact. I just got done playing 9 with a buddy and my next to last shot was a career 3W into par 5 green from 230 or so to 5-6 feet from pin. That shot won me some bills. :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Had a FW80 in my Egg (original) spoon and it was the best FW I'D played until......

New Egg HD Spoon w-Fire Express.

Monster

Edited by idrive

Royal Collection, especially the older models were and are the best. I'm very partial to the VS Tour in my bag and don't see that being replaced for some time. Its perfectly setup with the GD P9003x.

I had the Epon and I believe still have a 5 wood but RC still won out.

Had a FW80 in my Egg (original) spoon and it was the best FW I'D played until......

New Egg HD Spoon w-Fire Express.

Monster

Sounds like a great combo

What's the face angle like on the HDs? Can they be ordered to custom?

Thanks

Well I just bought a Crazy FW80 shaft from Tario in anticipation of putting it in a 3 wood. I have not chosen the 3 wood head to pair with it. I like small heads that I can hit off the deck. Was planning to put it in a Ping i20 as the club head suits my eye. All this JDM talk has made me wonder if that is a waste of a great shaft. Any suggestions? Oh and by the way, I am LEFT-HANDED, so that limits my choices immensely.