Official TRPX Drivers and Shafts Review Thread

wmclarenf1

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just had a round with this driver S model with X line shaft in X flex. Built at D2 swing weight. DAT55 or not, this driver felt and perform much better than 435ii and George Spirits mono driver. Super forgiving and user friendly. I didn't miss any of the fairways and scored 75 even haven't play golf for 2 months!! Very long carry distance, sound crisp, feel sensation to hit just like t388. The only negative I find in this Driver is the lack of ROLL. The Maxima Type V roll more but harder to get straight shots with when compare to TRPX. Overall, this S model TRPX replaces every other driver I possess!! Love it.

Finally have enough rounds and range time with the S-013 10* and Messenger 1st shaft to post a proper opinion of this combo.

Today despite a double bogey and double par on Par 3 (yeah! go figure!!!!), came in with an 83. Used the driver on 11 holes and hit 6 fairways... BUT....only 1 was really bad with a OB left and this natural fader trying to draw a ball on a long dog leg right Par 4 (this hole was the Double Bogey hole)... ended up pulling it OB. Apart from this, the 5 misses were 4 first cut and very very playable (2 pars and a birdie from these 4 holes) and the other in a fairway bunker.

I am finding this to be a very good all round driver BUT not spectacular in any one department apart from the area which 2 or 3 have said they have none of... ROLL. For me, tis thing seems to roll the most of all my combos, Maxima and 435 included. That said, distance wise, its not short, keeps up I think with the AVG 435 distance but I have not had any 250-260 meter bombs yet like I have had with the 435 or the Maxima. Again, its not shorter on an average and consistent basis than the Maxima or 435, just that no "damn! That's a bomb" drives yet. Hopefully when I get more used to it, that will come.

Forgiveness wise, I still rate the original D1 as THE fairway finder but compared to the 435, its forgiveness central. More forgiving I think than the Maxima as well but only just. I wasn;t swinging my best for the last 18 but stiil had the results detailed above. I think that's good for me.

Ability to shape shots? No comment.. driving is the worst part of my game, I just try to hit it straight. Misses as with my other combos are high push fades with the very occasional pull.

Looks wise, I'm not too hot with the sparkly stuff and would have preferred an all black head but I'm looking at the ball anyways at address so no buggy.

Messenger 1st SR flex shaft I find is, again, a nice all rounder. Tight enough dispersion wise, long enough and feels good enough but to me, still not as smooth as the WBQ. Feel as we all know is subjective so take what you may from this. I also find it to be more of a swinger type shaft and does not seem to take best to step on aggressive swings.

I also played around with weights at the range. Mine came a 196.1 gram head with 4gram heel and back and 2 gram toe. Tried 4 gram heel, 6 gram back and 2 gram toe and found ball flight was just a tad higher and roll not as much. Tried 4 gram heel and back and 3 gram toe. No big shakes. Am back to original 4 gramd heel and back and 2 gram toe and will leave it at that.

So to conclude, the XXX and I'm gonna call her Debbie (the 60's born will maybe recall what was deemed a classic then :-), is a very nice all round performer...just not special in any one particular area except roll. Just waiting to go deep with her and hopefully that will be soon and frequent ;-)

For reference, I've a 92-95mph swing speed, avg drive of 220-225 meters (approx. 241 to 247 yards), have hit the VERY OCCASIONAL (read as far and few in between) bombs (my definition) of 250-260 meters (approx. 274 - 285 yards) and driving is the worst part of my game. Swing flaws also make me a higher spinning player. Play off an 8 as of 1st Oct.

I wasn't able to shape shots with this driver. It super forgiving and go very straight. The most easy to hit driver I have ever play. It doubted me how a crazy shaft and head are not as user friendly as TRPX although it has the same maker and designer. Distance average is as good as t388 and maxima type V, but no bombs like those 2 either. But who need a bomb if all the drive are in 290ish yards and all in the fairway. I really love this driver and will game from now on. Can't wait for a FW version to come out.

I just had a round with this driver S model with X line shaft in X flex. Built at D2 swing weight. DAT55 or not, this driver felt and perform much better than 435ii and George Spirits mono driver. Super forgiving and user friendly. I didn't miss any of the fairways and scored 75 even haven't play golf for 2 months!! Very long carry distance, sound crisp, feel sensation to hit just like t388. The only negative I find in this Driver is the lack of ROLL. The Maxima Type V roll more but harder to get straight shots with when compare to TRPX. Overall, this S model TRPX replaces every other driver I possess!! Love it.

Awesome T!

Super forgiving and user friendly is what counts, surprised on the roll though as I do get a lot as do most others... A few out there are not getting as much roll like yourself but all straight is good!!

Finally have enough rounds and range time with the S-013 10* and Messenger 1st shaft to post a proper opinion of this combo.

Today despite a double bogey and double par on Par 3 (yeah! go figure!!!!), came in with an 83. Used the driver on 11 holes and hit 6 fairways... BUT....only 1 was really bad with a OB left and this natural fader trying to draw a ball on a long dog leg right Par 4 (this hole was the Double Bogey hole)... ended up pulling it OB. Apart from this, the 5 misses were 4 first cut and very very playable (2 pars and a birdie from these 4 holes) and the other in a fairway bunker.

I am finding this to be a very good all round driver BUT not spectacular in any one department apart from the area which 2 or 3 have said they have none of... ROLL. For me, tis thing seems to roll the most of all my combos, Maxima and 435 included. That said, distance wise, its not short, keeps up I think with the AVG 435 distance but I have not had any 250-260 meter bombs yet like I have had with the 435 or the Maxima. Again, its not shorter on an average and consistent basis than the Maxima or 435, just that no "damn! That's a bomb" drives yet. Hopefully when I get more used to it, that will come.

Forgiveness wise, I still rate the original D1 as THE fairway finder but compared to the 435, its forgiveness central. More forgiving I think than the Maxima as well but only just. I wasn;t swinging my best for the last 18 but stiil had the results detailed above. I think that's good for me.

Ability to shape shots? No comment.. driving is the worst part of my game, I just try to hit it straight. Misses as with my other combos are high push fades with the very occasional pull.

Looks wise, I'm not too hot with the sparkly stuff and would have preferred an all black head but I'm looking at the ball anyways at address so no buggy.

Messenger 1st SR flex shaft I find is, again, a nice all rounder. Tight enough dispersion wise, long enough and feels good enough but to me, still not as smooth as the WBQ. Feel as we all know is subjective so take what you may from this. I also find it to be more of a swinger type shaft and does not seem to take best to step on aggressive swings.

I also played around with weights at the range. Mine came a 196.1 gram head with 4gram heel and back and 2 gram toe. Tried 4 gram heel, 6 gram back and 2 gram toe and found ball flight was just a tad higher and roll not as much. Tried 4 gram heel and back and 3 gram toe. No big shakes. Am back to original 4 gramd heel and back and 2 gram toe and will leave it at that.

So to conclude, the XXX and I'm gonna call her Debbie (the 60's born will maybe recall what was deemed a classic then :-), is a very nice all round performer...just not special in any one particular area except roll. Just waiting to go deep with her and hopefully that will be soon and frequent ;-)

For reference, I've a 92-95mph swing speed, avg drive of 220-225 meters (approx. 241 to 247 yards), have hit the VERY OCCASIONAL (read as far and few in between) bombs (my definition) of 250-260 meters (approx. 274 - 285 yards) and driving is the worst part of my game. Swing flaws also make me a higher spinning player. Play off an 8 as of 1st Oct.

If driving is not the best part of your game Art, then an all around performer is what you need. Overall consistency and playable second shots beat long bombs into the woods and out of play.

The TRPX's all around consistency and ability to stay straight will save a lot of people especially when they aren't driving their best. The truth is some of the monster bombers come at the sacrifice of control and stability and consistency. There isn't a single one of us that does not get excited over the occasional monster drive but in the end 'll be much happier with all my drives in the fairway and an overall lower score. (^_^)

I wasn't able to shape shots with this driver. It super forgiving and go very straight. The most easy to hit driver I have ever play. It doubted me how a crazy shaft and head are not as user friendly as TRPX although it has the same maker and designer. Distance average is as good as t388 and maxima type V, but no bombs like those 2 either. But who need a bomb if all the drive are in 290ish yards and all in the fairway. I really love this driver and will game from now on. Can't wait for a FW version to come out.

I am not one who is able to shape shots so I am more than happy with very straight.

This TRPX driver design is an all original and a new design thanks to Nakayama-san at TRPX who oversaw JBeam's manufacturing of this head. In the past, Crazy just used J-Beams own in house designs. Moving forward, JBeam will be working together with TRPX in many ways so they have told us to look out for cool stuff from both TRPX and JBeam.

As for the shafts, ABEX thinks TRPX is even better than Crazy (but of course he would say this. (^_^))

Wel then....it seems ive found my antidote for this head

The shaft is spot on init its so rediculously forgiving its quite special

The thing is when u hot any driver out of the screws its gling to be senational

It is however a better judge when one doesnt get themiddle everytime which is what us mortals have to put up withAnd this driver i gotta say is magnificent. Iahd it on range with 2ryomas and a kamui pro all with the same shaft and the trpx was just sensational.

The misses just kind of wander left or right

Its so confidence inspiring to really have a go at bec the misses are great

I re did the weight config once more

4/4/4... 202 gram head makes it distictly heavier swing weightand the flight is now mid

And a really tame driver .

The dead centered shots were going miles but so does everything like i said

Its when its not quite on that this thing shines In my.book

Finally got the right weightings for this head at44.875 inch.

Dude - I have been waiting for this.....

So I gonna order one but what's your opinion.... currently I am gaming Ryoma 10.5 with Crazy 8.2 LS Noir - 44.5inches, swing weight D2; for some reason this combo works well and feels great and its accurate but for some reason I have lost a bit of distance...... but have been thinking about trying the TRPX driver and shaft and your comments above got me to commit.

Advice appreciated and then I can open dialogue with Sensai Tario!

I normally have problems with all the Crazy shafts. None seem to fit me (CB46, TJ80, LY01 Hot, 80LS nior), but the Boron seems to fit me most. Still I find it's still demanding (IMO, all Crazy shafts are too demanding). This X Line really surprised me. It not only has the stability of Crazy Black line up, it's super forgiving. I hit Absolutely zero hook with this shaft and the S model head. For me, I have find my Holy Grail. It just knocked Maxima Type V and t388 out of my bag.

... As for the shafts, ABEX thinks TRPX is even better than Crazy (but of course he would say this. (^_^))

Indeed :-) For ME, I;m still not sure yet. I still think the Crazy TJ46 is one of the best shafts for ME. Only way is to have a another S-013 10* and hit side by side. Hopefully within a fortnight, this discussion for me will be resolved.

Had another 9 and was driving like crap the first 3 holes and then on the 6th hole, teed off. Direction was good, saw it carry the huge right bunker. Started walking to my normal landing area given that the drive was straightish. Arrived at the normal landing area. No ball.. look around the rough thinking it may have plugged (rained massive yesterday). Nothing.. looked in the bunker.. maybe it didn't carry.. nothing... then looked up ahead and went "holy crap"... my ball was about 23 (paced it) yards ahead of my normal landing area. Took out my GPS and ranged the tree beside the tee box.. 257 meters or approx 282 yards... first time going deep with Debbie (ok.. my definition of long. I know some of you guys hit 280 yards on average but for this 245+ yard average driver of the ball, this is long). Have never driven this long on this hole. No wind assistance as well. Took out a PW and 2 putted for par.

Needless to say, the remaining 2 driving holes, nowhere close to 280 yards and was back to my average 245+ yard drives. Ah well... at least its happened once and hopefully, several more once in a while to come.

Had another 9 and was driving like crap the first 3 holes and then on the 6th hole, teed off. Direction was good, saw it carry the huge right bunker. Started walking to my normal landing area given that the drive was straightish. Arrived at the normal landing area. No ball.. look around the rough thinking it may have plugged (rained massive yesterday). Nothing.. looked in the bunker.. maybe it didn't carry.. nothing... then looked up ahead and went "holy crap"... my ball was about 23 (paced it) yards ahead of my normal landing area. Took out my GPS and ranged the tree beside the tee box.. 257 meters or approx 282 yards... first time going deep with Debbie (ok.. my definition of long. I know some of you guys hit 280 yards on average but for this 245+ yard average driver of the ball, this is long). Have never driven this long on this hole. No wind assistance as well. Took out a PW and 2 putted for par.

Needless to say, the remaining 2 driving holes, nowhere close to 280 yards and was back to my average 245+ yard drives. Ah well... at least its happened once and hopefully, several more once in a while to come.

Well there you go, Debbie is capable of a surprise bomb! (^_^)

A, I figure you might call your driver, Linda instead of Debbie since its deep. ^_^

I am using Quadra WBQ 55 SR in my old driver and love it. Is this shaft with the S 013 a good combination, as I notice in this forum that some head requires different shaft characteristic like the Ryoma maxima needed a stiff tip?

OK, so I don't normally post about something I've just barely tried but this changes here and now. I bought a XXX D 10* with Messenger shaft off BST and this is the longest driver I've ever hit. I was carrying it over a green at my course's range which is exactly 265 to the middle. About 5-8 MPH wind behind, but I've never hit so many balls in one session over this green, usually it's just maybe one fluke. Some were rolling out up this little hill which stops at about 295. I've rarely hit anything up this hill, especially since it was kinda cool, about 63*. Sometimes in the summer it'll be 100* and still I rarely get a ball up this hill. I don't know if it's the shaft or the head, but dayum, this thing is long for my swing. Even my 1 in 5 high blocks were still getting decent distance, about 250 or so, and not as far offline as normal.

OK, so I don't normally post about something I've just barely tried but this changes here and now. I bought a XXX D 10* with Messenger shaft off BST and this is the longest driver I've ever hit. I was carrying it over a green at my course's range which is exactly 265 to the middle. About 5-8 MPH wind behind, but I've never hit so many balls in one session over this green, usually it's just maybe one fluke. Some were rolling out up this little hill which stops at about 295. I've rarely hit anything up this hill, especially since it was kinda cool, about 63*. Sometimes in the summer it'll be 100* and still I rarely get a ball up this hill. I don't know if it's the shaft or the head, but dayum, this thing is long for my swing. Even my 1 in 5 high blocks were still getting decent distance, about 250 or so, and not as far offline as normal.

This is why its the most popular selling driver for us in the last 2 months or so since its launch. Its not even in the pro shop yet and we have already moved more than 60+ drivers. That is like Ryoma at its peak or better. Thing is just long and forgiving especially when paired with a TRPX shaft.