Fairway Wood: EGG Spoon vs. Fourteen SF-612???

Dakara

Been searching for an easy 3(4) wood (16 deg.)

anyone experience and able to compare those 2 clubs???

Thanks in advance

Epon 202HT should be added to the mix as well.

They are claimed 15deg loft but they launch very high thanks to the shallow design.

Has to be one of the easiest 3 wood ever produced.

It launches so high I have been able to stop the ball on the green from 250 yrds out on rare but multiple occasions.

Off the tee, you do need to make sure you tee it up low so you donl't go under:)

Feel is a bit firm probably because of the shallow face and use of Titanium. Sound is as solid as it gets.

Highly recommended.

Maruman Shuttle & Ryoma FW are the two most forgiving I know of.

Maruman Shuttle is surprisingly easy to get up and hit very long.

Yes, the Maruman looks very forgiving indeed.

Edited by nobmontana

I have the original Egg in 9w and I've tried the 2nd generation Egg in 4w. Prefer everything about the original, even the sound! Never tried the Fourteen unfortunately.

I can recommend the Kamui Works Ray FW. I have an 18* 5w that is great from the tee and fairway. Very forgiving, just like the driver.

Edited by Ian-500

Thanks for your fast input.

Even though with your nice suggestions you made my quest even tougher ... :)

Will have some sleepless nights ahead

Interesting though that Fourteen has a rather low profile in this forum

Interesting though that Fourteen has a rather low profile in this forum

When brands become available to the US market, they become less "JDM" ..... i am guessing?

I think they make fabulous products but they feel semi mainstream at this point to me.

I think you hit the nail on the head, nob-san. to top it off too, buying fourteen from a retailer here is really expensive, as if they were boutique JDM, and now that we are behind the velvet ropes, it's easy to see there are a lot more offerings in all price points.

Yes, the Maruman looks very forgiving indeed.

On a similar note, can anyone offer clarification on the Shuttle Models?

I'm finding several models and its a bit confusing:-

1. Shuttle i4000AR

2. Shuttle i4000AR II

3. Shuttle i4000x

4. Shuttle M-Sole

and lastly the model on TSG Store now would assume to be the latest model..

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/maruman-shuttle-fairway-wood

Much appreciated as I'm also in the market for a 3FW, same as Dakara. The New egg sppon is not agreeing with me. (But the Egg i+ UT is awesome!)

Didn't know that Fourteen has such an image/distribution channel in US.

In Japan it seems to me it has a mixed image - you see it often covered / mentioned in Golf magazines but less so in Golf shops (beside the wedges of course).

Back to the topic:

@Daveraul - may I ask what is your problem with the egg spoon?

I currently use the egg 5 wood and I'm quite happy with it but would like to get more distance.

So the obvious choice would be the egg spoon in 16.5. That said I like the design of the Fourteen much better.

Didn't know that Fourteen has such an image/distribution channel in US.

In Japan it seems to me it has a mixed image - you see it often covered / mentioned in Golf magazines but less so in Golf shops (beside the wedges of course).

Back to the topic:

@Daveraul - may I ask what is your problem with the egg spoon?

I currently use the egg 5 wood and I'm quite happy with it but would like to get more distance.

So the obvious choice would be the egg spoon in 16.5. That said I like the design of the Fourteen much better.

@ Dakara - I tend to top it quite easily but when I do catch it well, it flies like a missile and goes really long..

I have read in the forums that the older models appear to be more forgiving/easier to hit though..

So I'm exploring my options for 15* - 17* woods and several options are being considered:-

1. S-Yard XV 3W

2. Ryoma F3

3. Jbeam Glorious 3W

4. and now Maruman Shuttle 3W (Just need clarification on which model would be easier to hit)

I'm not considering the shorter woods at the moment as I'm using the Egg i+ UT5 23* and it's as easy as it gets and sufficient for now.

Will consider the slot between 3W and 5UT at a later stage once I have decided on the 3W. Might put in a 5W with about 18* loft, depending the distance gap I have between the afore-mentioned clubs.

Edited by Vegaman

I've only hit the i4000X but can say that the shuttle clubs in general have a reputation for supreme forgivness and easy high launch. I tried the shuttle witht the rather soft (and light) original shaft and even though way too soft for me, the club was just super easy to hit. Went very high and very long. Good feel of the face too. I consider Maruman as being pioneers when it comes to "pancake" large FWs with super shallow faces. They were doing them years before everyone else I think.

@ Dakara - I tend to top it quite easily but when I do catch it well, it flies like a missile and goes really long..

I have read in the forums that the older models appear to be more forgiving/easier to hit though..

So I'm exploring my options for 15* - 17* woods and several options are being considered:-

1. S-Yard XV 3W

2. Ryoma F3

3. Jbeam Glorious 3W

4. and now Maruman Shuttle 3W (Just need clarification on which model would be easier to hit)

I'm not considering the shorter woods at the moment as I'm using the Egg i+ UT5 23* and it's as easy as it gets and sufficient for now.

Will consider the slot between 3W and 5UT at a later stage once I have decided on the 3W. Might put in a 5W with about 18* loft, depending the distance gap I have between the afore-mentioned clubs.

I have the exact same problem (topping) with my Egg Spoon. I read that on other forums also, esp. with the stock PRGR shaft. I'm not sure why that is. I have the HD version (heavier & deeper). During my last round (after topping it again on #17), I decided on the 18th hole to try it again. If I topped it again, it was going to BST. Sure enough, I pured it & it went far & straight! Like a stubborn child... !!

I have the exact same problem (topping) with my Egg Spoon. I read that on other forums also, esp. with the stock PRGR shaft. I'm not sure why that is. I have the HD version (heavier & deeper). During my last round (after topping it again on #17), I decided on the 18th hole to try it again. If I topped it again, it was going to BST. Sure enough, I pured it & it went far & straight! Like a stubborn child... !!

Unfortunately same case for me, which is why it's still in the bag.. But that might change soon.. Planning to get a few to do a showdown and see which gets the spot in the bag..

For me the top 4 #3FW to date are..

Ryoma F3

Egg spoon (original)

S yard XV

Crazy Crz

In that order I would say, have all four and it is very hard to choose between them.

Egg is the most versatile

F3 the easiest

Crazy best feel

S yard most accurate and bullet like trajectory.

Alot comes down to the shaft choice also, for example I have tried a few good shafts in the F3 but crazy shafts just work in that head.

Jbeam Glorious has sparked my attention for sure.

Edited by hutchy

"I tend to top it quite easily but when I do catch it well, it flies like a missile and goes really long.."

Daveraul - It seems with that sentence you summed up this clup very close.

Thank you for this input

"I tend to top it quite easily but when I do catch it well, it flies like a missile and goes really long.."

Daveraul - It seems with that sentence you summed up this clup very close.

Thank you for this input

No probs, mate..

Good luck with your (our) hunt.. Would love to hear your feedback as it seems like we have similar predicament..

Will revert on my progress in about 2-3 weeks when I'm able to really do a like-for-like comparison..

I topped my HD on every shot for a whole round when I first got it. Was very depressing. But then the next time out I couldn't miss with it, and it was so long I didn't hit driver ones the entire round. Then my buddy, who always really struggled with woods, tried it and hit shot after shot better than ever..He begged me and I went soft because I know how much he struggles with woods, so sold it to him. Cheaply too! ? It was the one with the Fubuki 75AX upgrade shaft too, a really good fit with the Spoon HD btw. Edited by Vegaman