Crazy Epon combo set

Swizbeatz

That would be a nice combo with the 302/P2, personally I would drop the 503 and go with 2 DIs...those things are so versatile.

That would probably leave enough room for 3 wedges.

Combo sets are nice when done right, think the 302/P2 would would be a good transition from 7/8.

• 1 month later...

I personally will never go combo set again unless it's a blended set of the same model, the difference between the models was in feel and distance were bothersom to me...

my second set of JDMs years ago was a 3-5 iron epon technity type s (503) and 6-pw technity type j (302). Didnt like the transition at all in the long term...

Why what's the poiint of it duff soles diff lofts lies launch off sets. Makes no sense to do that. Then try resling them.

Ha!

Jus grab the best set of sticks u can.

I cud see a 2 or 3 iron being of use but 4 down nope.

But if u want it the gang here used to use 302 /AF tours combo. They were popular

Best Combos are by Yoro, we can do a lot to match specs, bounce, grinds, lofts, top line, shape, offset, etc...

outside of that I agree with others that they don't make much sense overall.

I do think #3/4 irons in one type then 5-PW in another is not as bad as three very different types of irons.

I see it the same way Chris does. I have 3h, 4i epon 503 and then 5-w. I don't want my 5i to be different from 6i in character (or 6 from 7, etc)

I've had a 901 22*, 301 5i and AF Tour 6i-PW. Seemed to gel quite well. I say go for it.

I am a fan of combo sets but it seems from your pick that the irons are very different and looking down on them there doesn't appear to be much flow at all. I think they should at least be somewhat similar overall but at the end of the day you gotta play what you like so do some more research/testing and go for it!

Alternatively you can try out the Honma TW727 offerings. You can build a pretty seamless combo there.

I've had a 901 22*, 301 5i and AF Tour 6i-PW. Seemed to gel quite well. I say go for it.

I could see that combo working as my 4i and utility swings are similar and I can hit the rest of those clubs but the plan that started this thread not so much...still, even this combo is not something I would do. A yoro combo set on the other hand, where each club is customized to flow...well, that's a plan I could get on board with...

A set I did combo and worked very well...as to say seamless probably not, the 301s with AF tours. 301s had more bounce in the longer irons and bit more forgiving compared to the laser like accurate butter knife AFs in the short's. Play wise they felt a good set that worked well together and did the job I wanted.

Probably better off as suggested with a set that can be easily mixed without much difference in looks and play. Only down side I had with combos was I never picked up a combo set from purchase, they were always made from full sets leaving the opposite half redundant...so in the end they always ended up back as full sets.

The idea was I like the distance control with blades but need help hitting it higher the longer the club. Take out the 901 because it's really a tee club anyways. I hit my current 302 4 iron a little lower than I'd like hence the idea of a bigger cavity back. Regardless of how it fits in looks wise, if it performs from 210 I can get over changing looks a little and there are similarities being from the company. I'd also dial in carry yardages on Trackman by tweaking loft so that wouldn't be an issue.

Agree with the above about the full set thing, I've got a lot of extra irons sitting around haha. I've been playing a srixon DI 4 iron, 302 5-7, and P2 8-p for about 2 weeks and 8-10 rounds now. Unfortunately I think my lack of height with the irons will need to be addressed with swing changes. 72/72/67 last three rounds with the combo setup.

So you already have that combo set pretty much except the couple long iron changes you were thinking of doing? You got a full set of P2 just to play the 8-PW?!

If those are your scores I really don't see what the problem is...unless you want a different ballflight for whatever reason... consider shaft change?

So you already have that combo set pretty much except the couple long iron changes you were thinking of doing? You got a full set of P2 just to play the 8-PW?!

If those are your scores I really don't see what the problem is...unless you want a different ballflight for whatever reason... consider shaft change?

I have a couple 901 DI but they are either unshafted or wrong shaft so yea, the long iron part is missing. When I made the original post I was staring at P2 heads only but now I've get them shafted up. I'll swap in more or less P2's depending on weather and what I'm playing for, not carrying many of them now with highs of 42* mid round. Mid summer messing around I'll go 5-p blades.

Shooting those scores around my home track which isn't very long, I have issues in tournament golf when the courses get stretched out. I'd like to hit it higher in the long irons for sure, I play a low draw. I kept strokes gained stats this year and from 175-225 I'm brutal, ideally I want to compete in bigger am events. That would be why I'm experimenting in the top end of the bag.