Titleist 591 protos

Hutch

Well its that time of year again soon so early xmas greetings all.

Only tonight the wifey and my 2 girls asked me what I would like santa to bring for Chrisy.

My reply was well if I could choose...before I could say another word they all said golf clubs in harmony like three little birds lol.

So that brings me to the heading.

Have had a set of Titleist 591s sitting here for what seems an eternity, probably one of the only constants in the collection along with the flat stick.

Think these are Miura forged and they do feel good.

Thinking of having these plated at clubworks, any suggestions or experience with different finishes would be great. Feel is a big factor for me but I do like them to look perdy at the same time.

Thanks chaps :tsg_smiley_santa:

post-16237-0-31967000-1447342836_thumb.j

Edited by hutchy

Blast from the past. I haven't seen a set of those in 10-12 years.

My answer to all questions regarding finish is "copper"

A darker or black finish.

I rmbr those irons and they did have a presence on the jpga, if you look up the old japanese magazines that used to show the with for the masters, these irons will show up ! They were a coveted set at one time and demanded a premium.

Nostalgic and rare for sure, not Miura nor highly coveted though Robbie. They are recognized by titleist but I also remember titleist not endorsing them which is weird.

But they are Titleist right? But not miura forged...Was told at time of purchase but hey ho they must be forged somewhere Japan I am guessing?

Any idea of the origins...forged by...

They feel nice and look great.

A darker or black finish.

Yep I hear you Ian, I was thinking gunmetal grey with darker cavity...Not unlike the 551 with yellow paint fill. But I am still not sure.

Any Pics of other finishes in the portfolio Chris?

Nostalgic and rare for sure, not Miura nor highly coveted though Robbie. They are recognized by titleist but I also remember titleist not endorsing them which is weird.

ayes, they were forged by Miura and yes they were coveted about 15 years ago....certainly not now, but i have been hoing long enough to know that these brought in good money back then. Im not inferring that they were a holy grail but there were a number of guys looking for that club, this is during the time when the tour stage x5000 was on my wish list and the TN87 were the holy grail

DCI Tour Blades

Material: carbon steel / cast

Year: 1997-1999 (steel shaft from 1998)

Graphite shaft - 10 irons set: 3-9, P, W, S option #2

Steel shaft - 10 iron set: 3-9, P, W, S option #2

Finish was different for graphite shaft and steel shaft.

Graphite= Gold pearl, Steel= Nickel chrome mirror

Titleist 591 irons

Vendor: Miura

Material carbon steel / forged

Year: 1999-2001

Graphite shaft - 8 iron set: 3-9, P option #2, W, SW

Rifle Steel shaft - 8 iron set: 3-9, P, option #2, W, SW

Dynamic Gold Steel shaft - 8 iron set: 3-9, P, option #2, W, SW

Finish was different for graphite shaft and steel shaft.

Graphite= Nickel Chrome Satin, Steel= Double Nickel Satin

DCI Tour Forged

Vendor: Miura

Material: carbon steel / forged

Year: 1996-1998

10 irons set: 3-9. P, W, S

*Graphite shaft only

Edited by robbie

Thanks for the research and clarification Robbie. These will be a V nice set re finished I think..

And the Miura forged carbon steel does explain the nice dense feel.

Now for the finish, just need to see some examples of what can be done ;)

What does Titleist "not endorsing" these acually mean? They made them but don't want to recognise they did? Odd

This is not a Titleist USA design, it is a japanese design that has the Titleist stamp because they paid a licensing fee to Titleist ( Accushnet ).

Aha, ok thanks

Im still going to disagree here based on personal experience, perhaps I was wrong about Miura Forged but I remember these very well, In 2002 while living in Japan I was buying bulk used sets of MR-23 CB's many 591's were on the used list as well at approx 22k - 40k yen per set ( in 2002 ) When the yen was 136 per dollar!

On top of that the entire Achushnet Japan used to be handled by a husband and wife team and that is where I heard about these not being good and something about it being due where or how (i forget) they were being made.

Anyway I care not but just letting you guys know what I ran into in the era when these are available.

So these are no good Chris or are they forged by Miura, those two don't marry up in my mind.

Miura forged rubbish? Titleist but not Titleist because Miura made them badly so Titleist didn't recognise them?

I am confused.

there has been lots of back and forth on these many years ago when they started popping up here and there, again I do not want to rain on anybody's parade, but as I mentioned earlier as well, to echo Chris' statement, there is something fishy about these and the whole origin behind them. I am more than confident they were blanks stamped titleist and not of the highest quality...again just long standing speak that i have read/heard about them

Since i didn't live in Japan, i don't know the price of these clubs in Japan, but in the USA, they were charging quite a bit for these irons.....im not sure if they were any good but they were rare in the USA and some JDM collectors wanted them.

i owned many many sets of MR23s myself during that era.....i guess i was competing with Chris to scoop up the limited MR23 CB sets, i had 57 sets at one point, glad i sold most of them off....

And just because they are not in demand in japan and not selling on the forum doesn't mean that they are any good. Take Modart irons, the company is sound and the product is excellent but if you unwrap them, its a 70% loss

Edited by robbie

If you intend on keeping them I say go for it.

I do like the look Ian and they do feel good even with the rifle 6.5 Cs

Nice finish and set of shimada tours I had in mind, I tend not to sell modified gear but the rest does the world tour.

Gunmetal 551ish finish is what I would like. If doable.

i would shaft them up with the Shimadas and game them for awhile, if they are your perfect clubs, then refinish them...