fairway woods ....

supo

what set up do u use?

or  has  the ute versatlity usurped  them?

i still game  2 or 3 everyweek.

10.8/12 

14/15 

17.5/18 

depending  on course length  and  bunkering.

got a few utes  i lilke  by royal coll and driving irons by prgr and  honma   but i much prefer   good old fwds 

still gaming my royal collections, crazy fw , kasco and  solid contacts most  of the time , askin g bec im just  building another batch for people.

and for the reference  is  hard  not  to put the old diamana  kaili  in them.

that thing  is SO  precise and easy to use.

wonderous  shaft with any head

20240126_152504.jpg

20240119_100151.jpg

Edited by supo

For the longest time I had one wood in my bag - driver. But I had a 1-iron and a 2-iron. Then I added a 3 wood, now a 2-wood and recently also a 5-wood. I have many issues, but one of them now is the gaps between clubs. It is all a mess. Hit my 5-iron 155 meters rather than 170 of the past. That leaves 35 meters to the 5-wood or driving iron, whichever I put in the bag. Maybe have to resort to utes, but I dislike them.

35 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

For the longest time I had one wood in my bag - driver. But I had a 1-iron and a 2-iron. Then I added a 3 wood, now a 2-wood and recently also a 5-wood. I have many issues, but one of them now is the gaps between clubs. It is all a mess. Hit my 5-iron 155 meters rather than 170 of the past. That leaves 35 meters to the 5-wood or driving iron, whichever I put in the bag. Maybe have to resort to utes, but I dislike them.

I get that, I'm going back the other way. 4-PW + DI with 2 wedges. Driver 3W & Shorter 5W. Searching for constancy. Hybrid is a good gap filler though so not a bad option if you find the right fit. 

if i play on my  short  par 5 course  ill take  2 utes  instead of  FWD  but on my main  course (7000) yards  ill take  4 woods.
-my2 wood i hit on 3 holes  to make sure i hit the fairway then long iron in
-3 wood on 3 of the  par5s
-theres 4 par  4s that need  driver 3 or 5 wood to get onto   more  oft  than not these days.
utes just wont make it.
-3 of the par  3s are the hardest  on the course  play 190-205 yards and they are 5woods most of the time to stay out of the  water in front. 
u gotta be long.
i look fwd to hitting them. esp off the deck on the par 5s and giving them a good old wallop

my fave  club in the  bag to hit  now.

I have only been using a kamui 3 wood I recently got.

Just took the ut out of the bag for a long 4 iron.

but tried the apex uw from last year today for the first time and loved it. very precise and very long, easier and more comfortable to hit for me. will probably get one just need to decide the loft and shaft

i have   a cpl of those kamuis..... 14.5  17.5     for short  dry grass those are awsome, same as the modarts, 

Just in the process of rebuilding the original Labo 358 3W & Fairway arms 5W of the same vintage. FW80s SX will be going in, these heads are up with the best if they fit your eye. Love the 358 off the deck..... FW80 are one of the best FW shafts ever made IMO. Keen to see how they go against the Baldo Corsas with TRPX. 

Edited by Hutch

Posted (edited)

shaft wise for fairway woods
1-crazy fw80  as a straight up , the fw shaft , esp  for the harder htting  fairway wood lvoing player i dont think anything is at the same level.
2 - diamana  X70s has a feel that is out of this world and performance that matches ,just a bit thinner imapct than the crazy 
3-quadra fire  express  original yellow/orange  fw is  the next best  FW shaft proper after the crazy fw
4-graphite design p-9003x and z-9003s  back in the day when i had some oomph  were brilliant.
5-fujikura waccine shaft was, IS  INSANELY good  for a 2 wood  or short driver at 44inch.

All rounders i dont go for anyhing other  than diamana
blue, ali islei, kaili,  illima  are in 90%+    of my builds i do for folks.

i think the kaili is the best value allrounder there is.  and that blue looks knock out.

my best ever fw builds , not 2 woodsm 14*>    i can  think of 

royal collection 304p-diamana X 70s (gamer now)cant get that out.
syard  xv -qudra fire express   fw 75s
crazy fw -crazy fw80
callaway erc fusion- diamana  ali islei  83 s 
prgr egg spoon original- fire express fw 6 75s 
ryoma d1 f3-GDp9003x
royal colllction bbd s type 2 - diamana  blue 73s
so many others ive dont but id take ANY of these  to the trenches with me and be assured of perfection.

over all the best  all round head  wud be the royal collction jp104

and with the kaili in it ????????????

well ive bullt  10  of these for my buds over last years   to  chants f   ; oh mu god   how goos is this!

gotta say  i have them in oz  for links   play as well and they dont misss  a beat.

dry or short  grass the  ryoma,prgr egg, masda, kamui pro light out

Edited by supo