PRGR RS5 woods

nobmontana

Been watching a bunch of YouTube reviews on PRGR RS5 series of woods.   While the slight improvement in initial ball speed with their RS5 drivers is not so surprising... I mean they always have been good since the start of the RS series dating back to the RS Nabla 01,02 ...  but what was eye catching were the RS5 fairway woods...   Carbon Crown,  CNC milled Maraging steel face,  Slot on the sole .... these are all technology pretty much all companies are using these days.    The ball speed of the 3W in 43" length is really getting close to driver speeds like 70m/s.    I really hope they have not created something that goes beyond allowed COR... again 🙂      In any case,  if any of the guys here have tried the RS5 woods already,  I want to hear your impressions.   Now that I have my primary bag sorted out to about 95% ,   I'm starting to put together my backup set.   May do a full PRGR set up this time for real!!   

1 hour ago, Andew said:

I wish they put the lie angles on the spec sheet

They do have lie angles on the spec sheet. 

3 and 5 woods are 57.5* 

7W is 58* 

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/fairwaywood/20-rs-fw.html

here we  go fellas , eigyo   for ya.

5w is closed quite substantially   by the looks of this. .. seems iits aimed at high cappers  id think

shud be a few of these in the town i can see this week. have to go  grab some gear soon so ill take a peek

i ALWAYS   check out PRGR ever year.. new irons didnt do anythign for me this season   very starnge neck line.. kind of a new look  to  the tune line. but  the  neck is ......... ".different"

Closed?   the spec is 6 deg open....   I always questioned how face angle was measured for PRGR. Their RS-F drivers were supposedly 3 to 4 deg open but I only see a pretty square face with mine.    RS is usually their athlete line.... but lately all brands are going less fade bias I think.  "Tsukamari" seems to be what they are going for with everything.  

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i had a good waggle with these  today.,   3 and 5w

two things:

5w  is  not closed  BUT   if its 6* open,  im blind . the  guy  at the  shop said oh its square i said can u measure it  pls its sposed to be  open, no its square his reply....... he wont be there long... ANYWAY. its looks  semi triffico,  i dont think itll suit the super low cappers as much as other  heads wud , i think  its a  little  more for  the   mid cappers than   guys  under 5.  thats just me tho,  id game it but not over  what i have  and the fact it comes with a diamana  50 s shaft.................... well..................... theres info in that!

its  got a larger higher face with a pronounced  rounded triangle  shape that  at address inspires immense confidence. , its a really nice shape , built  from the mold   of the  original   rs tour  for sure but softened  up a smidge . its really does look  like  a super easy club to hit, nice big face. its gotta be a high launcher  id think.   

yep  thinking about i cud  game it.

3w  : Now , i dont know what  they did here but it doesnt work to  my  eye   1 bit significantly thinner longer and way more convex face  that doesnt look like it wud get up at a hookery.......................,

it doesnt look like  its designed for the tee either   as its so sleek, its simply  LOOKS like its  is a missmatch of design for function , im never gonna hit it,  i had it in hand for a grand total of 30seconds and said , oh no  this is a outcast.  doesnt  work at all to the eye so no way it gets to the bag.

the 5 is a gamer, the 3 is a red headed stepchild.

caveat  i LOVE prgr!!!!

Thanks for your feedback!    Good to know that the 5 wood is good.  

I am moving myself away from a true 3 wood (15 deg or less )  and moving towards something in the 16 to 18 deg range with a shorter shaft 42 to 42.5 deg.  i.e. 4 or 5 wood. 

Low loft 3 woods for me just cause more issues during a round than it can resolve!!  

nobs,  im gaming a 17.5 *  4 wood from kamui pro , its  still not  quite perfect  but its so close  im not gonna mess with it.

id prefer to to to 17 *   but  this is  seriously great  so i kep it in the bag.

The  3 wood  is  now a royal coll  15*  with  diamana X ,im strongly considerign gettign another  prgr egg  17* spoon head as well for   all carry and into winter it might make it easier to hit with a 65s shaft. prob a QFE.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, John sears said:

What shaft in 5w

I already have a Loop FW Seven for whatever head I get....  🙂   

On 11/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, supo said:

nobs,  im gaming a 17.5 *  4 wood from kamui pro , its  still not  quite perfect  but its so close  im not gonna mess with it.

id prefer to to to 17 *   but  this is  seriously great  so i kep it in the bag.

The  3 wood  is  now a royal coll  15*  with  diamana X ,im strongly considerign gettign another  prgr egg  17* spoon head as well for   all carry and into winter it might make it easier to hit with a 65s shaft. prob a QFE.

I'll have to check out the Kamui Pro.    I was considering going back to the Modart FW in 16 as well.   They are tiny but somehow so easy to hit.   I think it's the shallow face. 

Most of the RCs ive used in the past were a bit too deep faced for my preference.   The SFW Ti was actually pretty nice except it was a bit too anti-slice. :(  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, nobmontana said:

I'll have to check out the Kamui Pro.    I was considering going back to the Modart FW in 16 as well.   They are tiny but somehow so easy to hit.   I think it's the shallow face. 

Most of the RCs ive used in the past were a bit too deep faced for my preference.   The SFW Ti was actually pretty nice except it was a bit too anti-slice. :(  

Nobs, I have a Modart 16 head only if you want to trade for another fw5 or something.

Thanks,    I've picked up a Labospec R5 and it is working well so far!!