TOURSPECGOLF: PRGR vs G-Field vs Tourstage vs Mizuno Challenge!

Hmmm..I can hit the 33's ...I play blades...I love the appearance of these clubs...will await the remaining test with a great deal of anticipation. I really appreciate the effort and time you're putting into this comparison. :tsg_smilie_cool:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as though this comparison of quality irons would each have the same shaft installed. You won't be able to get accurate information if everyone is hitting different shafts combined with different heads.

The best thing to do is get all of these heads fitted with the same shaft. Once a winner emerges, then you take the winning head and try different shafts. That would be the only true way to know what the best combination would be. IMO, of course.

Looking forward to hearing test results from the Mizuno Mp-60 cut muscle and the G-Field NC-1 irons - they are both my favorites, when it comes to looks - although I don't like the sharp toe of the NC-1 iron.

Has anybody played with the G-field NC-1 and the Mizuno Mp-60 and will rate them up against each other :tsg_smilie_confused: :tsg_smilie_rolleyes:

Overall I like the aapearance of the satinised Mizuno Mp-60 iron - but I already own the "retail" Mp-60 in chrome, so what I consider most is the NC-1 iron - love the overall design except the toe :tsg_smilie_sad:

When will the NC-1 be up for testing - scheduled 24. of march, today we have the march 29 :tsg_smilie_rolleyes:

Edited by Claus

I've played both the NC-1's and the Mizuno 60's both with Nippon 1050X shafts and greatly prefer the Gauge offering.

Feel: Mizuno has the classic "mushy" feeling Mizzie is known for. Great feel, but the Gauge has a more solid feeling to it--not harsh, but the kind of feeling that goes all the way up the arms instead of stopping in the hands as the Mizuno does. Off center hits not nearly as harsh with the NC's because they're more CB like than the 60.

Performance: The meaty weight end of the NC seems to send the ball higher but with a very penetrating, boring flight. Very, very easy to work the ball, and the sole camber and width very helpful in stringy lies and in the rough. The Mizuno also performs very well, but doesn't seem as "helpful" to me.

Looks: they're both great looking. Toe of the NC's looks a lot better on the ground behind the ball tan it does in the pictures on the site. Great looking club and provokes a lot of comment from people that see it in the bag. A lot of panache factor. Equal here depending on your own preferences.

Hope this is helpful. When you get two great clubs that perform as well as these do, the "ratings" tend to get quite subjective depending on the idiosyncrasies of the individual player.

I've played both the NC-1's and the Mizuno 60's both with Nippon 1050X shafts and greatly prefer the Gauge offering.

Feel: Mizuno has the classic "mushy" feeling Mizzie is known for. Great feel, but the Gauge has a more solid feeling to it--not harsh, but the kind of feeling that goes all the way up the arms instead of stopping in the hands as the Mizuno does. Off center hits not nearly as harsh with the NC's because they're more CB like than the 60.

Performance: The meaty weight end of the NC seems to send the ball higher but with a very penetrating, boring flight. Very, very easy to work the ball, and the sole camber and width very helpful in stringy lies and in the rough. The Mizuno also performs very well, but doesn't seem as "helpful" to me.

Looks: they're both great looking. Toe of the NC's looks a lot better on the ground behind the ball tan it does in the pictures on the site. Great looking club and provokes a lot of comment from people that see it in the bag. A lot of panache factor. Equal here depending on your own preferences.

Hope this is helpful. When you get two great clubs that perform as well as these do, the "ratings" tend to get quite subjective depending on the idiosyncrasies of the individual player.

Thanks for your review, gth :tsg_smilie_smile:

The way I understand it, you conclude that the NC-1 is a good deal more forgiving on off center hits than the Mp-60 - correct ?

How would you say the durability of the NC-1 compares to the Mp-60.

Does the NC-1 seem more solid and durable than the Mp-60 ?

Does it scratch easily, are marks and dings visible on the forged metal on the Nc-1 iron head ?

Claus, haven't had the NC's too long, but they seem very, very durable. Took them to the range and hit 25 balls with wedge and 7 iron and really can't tell they've been hit. Played two rounds with them in the bag with no headcovers and no bag chatter yet. Truth, I can't find too much about these that I don't like. Makes me want to try the FW woods and driver. I'd bought a set of the GAS wedges from bert-b and absolutely love those. I could be a total Gaugette very easily--strange, I don't have a putter yet :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Claus, haven't had the NC's too long, but they seem very, very durable. Took them to the range and hit 25 balls with wedge and 7 iron and really can't tell they've been hit. Played two rounds with them in the bag with no headcovers and no bag chatter yet. Truth, I can't find too much about these that I don't like. Makes me want to try the FW woods and driver. I'd bought a set of the GAS wedges from bert-b and absolutely love those. I could be a total Gaugette very easily--strange, I don't have a putter yet :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Have you tried the Miura 301s yet?

That seems to be the only set of irons standing in between me and a set of the NC-1s.

All testing is complete, just trying to get some free time to write things in properly. By monday results should be posted.

I knew my winner before the competition started, I just wanted to see what the other players get out of hitting them.

As far as Hiro Irons go I didn't include them because its several years old. killer design, firm not soft feel and very compact shape.

MP60 custom vs MP60 retail: The double Nickel finish makes impact noticeably more pure and rewarding. Other than that they are the same unless you put a grind on them like mine.

NC-1s are for sure more forgiving than MP60, feel is more firm and mis**ts not as harsh.

As for shaft changing, its already done, I have hit all these irons in NS1150's, S200s, and NS950's many many times. I'm not going to reshaft each one for the testers, these guys have never used anything but stock in their life so its a waste of time and money. I will fill you in on shaft differences a bit later as I mentioned my conclusion was settled quite a while ago. :tsg_smilie_whistle:

Have you tried the Miura 301s yet?

That seems to be the only set of irons standing in between me and a set of the NC-1s.

DON'T let them.......i should know i had both sets together and i can confirm the g field nc1s are far far superior. Just cant wait to get back hitting mine......No golf for me for 6 weeks - and with such pretty irons im gonna be tormented!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T let them.......i should know i had both sets together and i can confirm the g field nc1s are far far superior. Just cant wait to get back hitting mine......No golf for me for 6 weeks - and with such pretty irons im gonna be tormented!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would you rate the Mp-60, Cb-301 and the NC-1 upagainst each other (Don't know if had hit the Mp-60's though):

Look-wise ?

Forgiveness-wise ?

Durability-wise ?

Sorry I keep asking these questions - but I'm in the process of buying 2 sets of new irons - one for the sunny dry days when my swing is in ON mode and one set for the days with not so great weather and not such a great swing mode :tsg_smilie_whistle:

I already own too many sets - all retail: Mizuno Mp-60, Mizuno Mp-32 & Ping I5.

I want to get rid of one of my Mizuno sets, maybe both, if TourSpecGolf can sell me a Satin version set of the Mp-60 with double nickel chrom plating. I'll be keeping my Ping I5's - this is a very sturdy, durable and forgiving set of stickZ. I also play during the winter season, mostly in indoor golf simulators and practice on range mats - but also play outside when temps are down to 40° F as long as it doesn't snow. My Ping I5 will be used during this OFF season, because any kind of soft forged iron won't do well in wet rough conditions (forged irons tends to rust and get dinged more easily than a cast set of durable Ping's and forged irons on range mats are a NO NO, because soft forged irons will come out of lie and loft)

So my plan is to have 3 sets of irons:

One for the Off season - here I'm going to stick with my cast durable Ping I5's

One for the spring and fall season - I want a forged 'pretty' forgiving cavity back set here - G-Field NC-1 and Miura Cb-301 is the two I consider getting.

One for the ON season - I may plan to keep my Mizuno Mp-32 for this part of the season or get a satin double chrome plated set of Mp-60 through TourSpecGolf.

PS I only buy 110% unused and brand new irons :tsg_smiley_yes:

Edited by Claus

How would you rate the Mp-60, Cb-301 and the NC-1 upagainst each other (Don't know if had hit the Mp-60's though):

Look-wise ?

Forgiveness-wise ?

Durability-wise ?

Sorry I keep asking these questions - but I'm in the process of buying 2 sets of new irons - one for the sunny dry days when my swing is in ON mode and one set for the days with not so great weather and not such a great swing mode :tsg_smilie_whistle:

I already own too many sets - all retail: Mizuno Mp-60, Mizuno Mp-32 & Ping I5.

I want to get rid of one of my Mizuno sets, maybe both, if TourSpecGolf can sell me a Satin version set of the Mp-60 with double nickel chrom plating. I'll be keeping my Ping I5's - this is a very sturdy, durable and forgiving set of stickZ. I also play during the winter season, mostly in indoor golf simulators and practice on range mats - but also play outside when temps are down to 40° F as long as it doesn't snow. My Ping I5 will be used during this OFF season, because any kind of soft forged iron won't do well in wet rough conditions (forged irons tends to rust and get dinged more easily than a cast set of durable Ping's and forged irons on range mats are a NO NO, because soft forged irons will come out of lie and loft)

So my plan is to have 3 sets of irons:

One for the Off season - here I'm going to stick with my cast durable Ping I5's

One for the spring and fall season - I want a forged 'pretty' forgiving cavity back set here - G-Field NC-1 and Miura Cb-301 is the two I consider getting.

One for the ON season - I may plan to keep my Mizuno Mp-32 for this part of the season or get a satin double chrome plated set of Mp-60 through TourSpecGolf.

PS I only buy 110% unused and brand new irons :tsg_smiley_yes:

Well, you (and Chris) won't want to hear what I've got to say. Save yourself a bundle and get the NC's for spring, fall, and the ON season. They're as good as you are, I promise, and the "advantage" of the more blade like offering just isn't present. Workability, etc. of the Gauge's is every bit as good as the 60's and 32's, both of which I've owned. If you need to buy two sets (and I understand the psychological malfunctions that could cause that), find a set of the Gauge blades (last years'). Awesome blade experience. Good luck, happy shopping, and may the PayPal be with you.

Well, you (and Chris) won't want to hear what I've got to say. Save yourself a bundle and get the NC's for spring, fall, and the ON season. They're as good as you are, I promise, and the "advantage" of the more blade like offering just isn't present. Workability, etc. of the Gauge's is every bit as good as the 60's and 32's, both of which I've owned. If you need to buy two sets (and I understand the psychological malfunctions that could cause that), find a set of the Gauge blades (last years'). Awesome blade experience. Good luck, happy shopping, and may the PayPal be with you.

Uncle! I give.....NC-1s it is. :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Still awaiting the test results :tsg_smilie_cool:

Att: Chris, could you PM me a price on a set of G-Field NC-1 4-PW irons ?

Still awaiting the test results :tsg_smilie_cool:

Att: Chris, could you PM me a price on a set of G-Field NC-1 4-PW irons ?

Wise plan, get as much information as you can. It's almost funny how we club nuts will take a random comment from someone whose game may be very, very different from our own and make purchasing decisions based upon those comments.

Heck, it'd be hard to go wrong with any of the clubs in the "test". Real problem is there are too many choices and not enough time to test before the next latest and greatest emerges. But, that's the fun isn't it?

Wise plan, get as much information as you can. It's almost funny how we club nuts will take a random comment from someone whose game may be very, very different from our own and make purchasing decisions based upon those comments.

Heck, it'd be hard to go wrong with any of the clubs in the "test". Real problem is there are too many choices and not enough time to test before the next latest and greatest emerges. But, that's the fun isn't it?

Yeahh.....but right now I'm going in the direction of a set of Mizuno custom made Mp-60 irons in satin double nickel finish with custom logo and graphics on the iron head. Don't like the shiny chrome and "Cut muscle" on my retail Mp-60 - so a custom made set would be awesome to purchase and play with :tsg_smilie_cool: though expensive :tsg_smilie_money3:

Right now I have to choose between a Miura Cb-301, custom made Mizuno Mp-60 and a G-Field NC-1.

Life is tough....... :tsg_smilie_wink: :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Edited by Claus

Picture_271.sized.jpg

Picture_268.sized.jpg

Picture_270.sized.jpg

Picture_272.sized.jpg

We were lucky to have 4 different participants take part in the Tourstage X-Blade CB2 challenge. This time it was hectic and almost uneventful due to the language barrier. None of these players had any idea what Tourstage was and had no clue Bridgestone even makes golf clubs. I'm not going to waste much time into the itty bitty details of each players shot, i will just say that 3 of 4 testers got along great with these irons. The highest handicap (13) having the most problems, IMO due to ball striking skills.

Distance: 2nd place

Feel: 4th Place

Forgiveness: 2nd place

I am very impressed by the new XCB2, I personally enjoyed everything about these except its feel, it is not the old school Tourstage impact we have grown to love, instead its a more firm forged feel. The setup, and overall ease of use is what I consider its two biggest selling points. The club is just flat out attractive and easy to hit. Mentally because it has a blade like setup it can take some confidence out of you but after you groove into them, they are just as good or better than most other irons on the market. Just as forgiving as the model before it yet with a much more compact profile, based IMO off of the VIQ forged it gets the ball up quite easy and maintains the feel of heavy weight hump or lower COG than it should. The Long Irons were unusually easy to hit. shots hit high on the face feel a bit harsh, but most hit low center, heel, or toe really don't lose much distance and don't vibrate up your arms into your teeth.

Better than the 900MD? IMO yes, It may not feel as pure or have the same level of workability but its forgiveness makes up for it.

I rank this set in 3rd place.

What is the news on the Iron challange between the remaining

Mizuno, Tourstage, & G-Field?

have only the results of PRGR been released as of yet?

The anticipation has been killing me :tsg_smilie_wah:

***Just realized the post on the TS....Only await the GD & Mizzy!

Edited by unclekent

Yeah....I don't see Chris straying too far away from the G-field NC-1's. I personally like the Custom Mizuno's. If only the X CB's were more of a satin finish they would be sweet. The PRGR looks too long heel to toe wise. Maybe that is just because I haven't seen them in person.

Hmmm..I can hit the 33's ...I play blades...I love the appearance of these clubs...will await the remaining test with a great deal of anticipation. I really appreciate the effort and time you're putting into this comparison. :tsg_smilie_cool:

Yep, that's some effort.

March 1 - "Sorry I can't go curtain shopping with you honey but I must continue to test these clubs."

April 1 - "I'd love to visit your mother but I'm down to two sets and it's such a hard choice."

September 1 - "I know we have an appointment with the marriage counselor but Scratch just demanded that I include their irons."

December 1 - "Your golfing honor, before awarding alimony let me ask if you would like to help me test some outstanding clubs for my forum members?" (JUDGE "NC-1s you say? Case dismissed!")