TOURSPECGOLF: PRGR vs G-Field vs Tourstage vs Mizuno Challenge!

Picture_213.sized.jpg

4 Irons, Only one will make it into my bag as the gamers. The other 3 will go on for sale, We have 4 group testers who were kind enough to participate and write their comments down for us. Each golfer will spend 20 min with each iron at a grass range, then play 9 holes return to the range hit the same clubs for another 15 minutes with a swing coach then off to another 9 holes before they write their review and comments.

PRGR 4-PW M46 Steel Spec shafts ( similar to 1050 )

G-Field NC-1 4-PW Project X HL Stiff

Tourstage XCB2 NS M266V Stiff

Custom Grind Mizuno NS1150 Stiff

PRGR 900MD: Group Testing Tuesday March 21st

Picture_166.sized.jpg

Picture_245.sized.jpg

Picture_162.sized.jpg

Picture_157.sized.jpg

G-Field NC-1: Group Testing Friday March 24th

Picture_103.sized.jpg

Picture_093.sized.jpg

Picture_100.sized.jpg

Picture_096.sized.jpg

Tourstage X-CB2: Group Testing Monday March 27th

Picture_143.sized.jpg

Picture_190.sized.jpg

Picture_130.sized.jpg

Picture_137.sized.jpg

Custom Grind Mizunos: Group Testing Friday March 31st.

Picture_110.sized.jpg

Picture_105.sized.jpg

Picture_113.sized.jpg

Picture_118.sized.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea chris, can wait to hear the results.....i cant imagine anything being easier to hit than the g field, however i will be interested to hear how the prgr perform.....these would be the only set i would even contemplate changing to!

Yeah I'd have to say that the set-up view of the x-blades really caught my eye!! I think they look great and from the looks of it have the least offset of any of those sticks.

PS THANK YOU for not testing a bunch of drivers!! It's nice to see some iron testing for a change.

I just love to see comparison pics. Especially when the pics are of the 4 giants in Japan!! Sweet stuff......GO TOURSTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is more exciting than Wrestlemania!!! Tourstage is my pick!

I really like the look of the PRGR irons at address, fantastic!

:tsg_smilie_wah: Chris my invitation to be a tester must have been lost in the mail.

This is a very hard job. What a day the testers will have, testing the irons on the range, 9 holes, a lesson on the range and another 9 holes.

I guess the shafts in the clubs have been matched to the heads :tsg_smilie_confused: although I thought that perhaps using the same shaft in all irons may have removed a variable.

As far as the heads are concerned....sigh....so many great irons....so little time.

I can't split the Mizunos and the G-Field, although they are very different in my view.

Great idea Chris, wish I was with you and the boys on test day.

I makes me want to root for the PRGR's to lose so I can buy them! I love the look of that iron. But then it would be even nicer to know they tested out as Best of the Best as it were. Such a dilemma...how shall I sleep but on pins and needles awaiting the outcome of this contest.... :tsg_smilie_cool: :tsg_smilie_sad:

Of course the wind chill here today was only 28* so I can't play unless I desire to snap body parts off due to the cold.

Another vote for PRGR... but I'm hoping it'll be up for sale too~~ :tsg_smiley_embarrassed:

but man.. what a test... good job Chris!! :tsg_smiley_yes:

Picture_171.sized.jpg

Test dates have been switched around due to poor weather.

The 900MDs were tested on tuesday with only two participants.

Tester #1

Name: Giovanni

Handicap: 4

Swing Speed: 112mph tested on the Accuvector

Good Shot: Straight Shot

Bad Shot: Duck Hook

Current Setup:

Titleist 983K w/UST pro force X

Taylormade V-Steel w/UST pro force X

Mizuno MP33 w/X100

Mizuno MP wedges with S200

Taylormade ASGI Corza putter

We had the player hit balls with the PRGR Irons for 10 min before his first 9 holes. The conditions were wet and soggy, yet Giovanni made great contact. Gio felt he was getting a much higher ball flight with a full club up on distance. Some of his bad shots were hit fat IMO due to damp turf. Warmed up I followed them as they went off the front. I recall Gio hitting almost a dozen solid iron shots long, Great shots just needs to be dailed in, he was getting excited I could tell. can we attribute that to his MP33 lofts being worn and old? I dont know, but he still insisted that his MP33s felt softer, which makes sense because the more meat you have down at the muscle area the more pure the vibration will zing through the head up the shaft and into your hands. I asked his thoughts on forgiveness and he said "molto benne" very good! Not the best tester as far as club ho's go but none the less an expeienced player who sets the bar high with Mizunos and is liking the Endo forged PRGRs. After the turn he recieved a few swing tips from his boss and teaching pro, they worked at keeping the lower body more quiet during the takeaway and head placement at impact, Gio started hitting the ball more consistantly as we went off the back 9. He was already getting groved into them and eventually ended up asking how much he can get a set for even before he tested the other 3 irons in coming weeks. :tsg_smilie_money3:

Tester #2

Name: Franchesco

Handicap: 11

Swing Speed: 97mph on the Accuvector

Good Shot: Power Fade

Bad Shot: Slice and Pull

Current Setup:

Cleveland Launcher 460 w/stock stiff

Callaway VFT w/stock stiff

Adams GT w/stock stiff

Cleveland TA7 Tour w/ S200

Titleist Vokey Wedges

Scotty Cameron putter

I felt sorry for Francesco, he just couldnt hit these irons, at the range and during the entire 18 holes he played it was a nightmare, he has a sweeper slider swing and barely makes a divot yet it either wasnt his day or those irons didnt agree with him. Hitting many shots thin and all over the face of course his comments were they felt harsh at impact and not forgiving at all. If I didnt know the guy I would have figured him as a 20hcp. On a scale of 1-10 he said he would give them a 2....maybe.

(My Take)

I have hit these irons many times over the last 2 months in different shaft configurations in hard conditions and soft. Are they for me......nope, unfortunatly not. The feel was pure and old tourstage soft when hit square, but I must complain that when hit out closer to the toe, the feel was indeed harsh. The 900MD reminds me of the Mizuno MP30 in regards to performance. Nothing forgiving and nothing as rewarding as a blade, so its stuck in limbo between the two. But I must add that when I was testing in the firm turf condition courses in Japan, these irons perfectly clipped the ball off the ground. They would be optimal for blade players.

NC1 - Mizuno - PRGR - Tourstage

Picture_188.sized.jpg

Picture_187.sized.jpg

GREAT reviews... :atsg_logo_anim:

I guess thew 900MD isn't as forgiving as I first thought :tsg_smilie_sad:

Now the question is: Which iron will win this challenge??? :tsg_smilie_confused: