TOURSPECGOLF: PRGR vs G-Field vs Tourstage vs Mizuno Challenge!

Yep, that's some effort.

March 1 - "Sorry I can't go curtain shopping with you honey but I must continue to test these clubs."

April 1 - "I'd love to visit your mother but I'm down to two sets and it's such a hard choice."

September 1 - "I know we have an appointment with the marriage counselor but Scratch just demanded that I include their irons."

December 1 - "Your golfing honor, before awarding alimony let me ask if you would like to help me test some outstanding clubs for my forum members?" (JUDGE "NC-1s you say? Case dismissed!")

Not such a bad idea to put the winner up against the AR-1s in my view.

A man's work is a man's work, however I think Tour Spec Girl has just as much fun testing them!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not such a bad idea to put the winner up against the AR-1s in my view.

A man's work is a man's work, however I think Tour Spec Girl has just as much fun testing them!!

The AR-1 is a 2005 model, this test is for the latest 2006 OEM gear.

I would however love to have a shootout between Blade Golf, Traditional Golf, and Scratch Golf as battle of the custom club makers!

Custom Grind Mizunos vs G-Field NC-1 coming soon...

The AR-1 is a 2005 model, this test is for the latest 2006 OEM gear.

I would however love to have a shootout between Blade Golf, Traditional Golf, and Scratch Golf as battle of the custom club makers!

Custom Grind Mizunos vs G-Field NC-1 coming soon...

Ditto sf!!

Should be very interesting to see these boys trot out their custom options!!

Sorry for the delay guys but I extended testing by 4 full rounds of golf with Tourspecgirl. I just had to give the two top contenders a good testing to come to my conclusions. All 4 sets were solid overall If I wasn't in this business I would have chosen any set on any given day but me being who I am ( one critical SOB ) and fortunate enough to have these clubs in hand I just had to select the one that improved my score, felt the best, looked attractive to my eye, and put my mind at ease.

Picture_1287.sized.jpg

The G-Field NC-1 was the winner for 3 of 4 testers, well guys that wont cut it because I was not confident with the participants in the first place so i'm gonna play the wild card and trump them to announce the Custom Grind Mizuno Combo's as the winner. Yes its unfair but these guys had no sensitivity when it comes to feel and to be honest had no preference when it comes to shape of the face, top line size and offset. i'm talkin low single digit players with oversized cast irons.

I boiled it down with my own extensive testing, the G-Field NC-1s have had over 25 rounds of play while the custom grind mizunos 5-7 less...

The G-Field NC-1 vs Custom Grind Mizuno Show Down:

The NC-1s are definitely a more forgiving club from long iron to short in comparison to the MP60/32 grind combo. Off center shots went longer straighter with a less harsh vibration. One of the exercises they decided to do as a group was hit one handed iron shots with the 9 iron to test poor impact as well as good. Hands down the NC-1s performed best of all irons tested. I would actually rate the XCB2 more forgiving than the 60/32 combo. I don't look for distance when it comes to irons, I desire accuracy, feel, and setup more than anything so if your a certified yardage freak these observations may not help.

The Custom Grind Mizunos have slightly more offset than the G-Fields, a smaller top line and sole. Like I mentioned before because of the standard forged head shape of the 60 vs 32 the set doesn't appear to be a true matching combo from face angle. The 60s have a more shallow face and pointy toe while the 32s are taller rounder and just overall more attractive in my opinion. From a profile point of view the MP32 short irons are the most beautiful scoring clubs I have EVER seen and this was my biggest determining factor, yes i would have chosen the G-Fields in a second if they were put up against a full set of MP60s but the 32s stole my heart and mind just making approach shots more accurate and rewarding. It may be my personal preference for a more compact short iron but from the tee, grass, rough, sand and dirt they were a dream come true. I have owned retail MP32s and they in terms of soft impact and pure feel they don't even compare, the double nickel brushed satin finish is the key here where I remember the chrome feeling just good not spectacular. The soft feel, pin point accuracy, and MP32 profile from above and face view sealed the deal for me and one of the testing participants.

This entire experience has taught me loads about iron selection for me as a player. I had good and bad days with all four sets in rain and sun at multiple courses, a total of 6 people contributed and gave decent feedback but nothing a TSG'er would be satisfied with. I cant say that what we selected would be the better iron for you but I am comfortable saying I have successfully and extensively tested some of Japans best Irons. 3 of the 4 irons come from the same manufacture can you guess which three? Being made at the same place means nothing, materials and manufacturing differs between companies and specifics are kept secret.

The determining factor for victory " MP32 PW "

Picture_065.sized.jpg

Picture_061.sized.jpg

Picture_059.sized.jpg

Here are my brutally honest suggestions and observations when selecting irons for your own.

- don't believe the Hype! Companies use words like ______ technology, and put a whole mess of fancy descriptions to convince you that what they did is revolutionary in the golf industry. Keep in mind they pay writers to spruce basic concepts into advanced concepts when its all design variables and attributes to those differences. Lets take a look at rac technology in Taylormades Irons they use a two-step process called coin-forging. The first step forms the rough shape of the head while the second creates the intricate details. It is simply about controlling the vibration in a club head. G-Field has the same concept in the NC-1 milling on the back face to dampen vibration except theirs is done with a CNC machine. Try to follow basic and sound design concepts with brands you know put extreme effort into quality and design. Unfortunatly those are usually the most expensive.

- Where is it forged? Its not the OEMS fault you guys get a kick out of comparing foundrys. Fact of the matter is that internet golf forums have been comparing the wrong foundries for years. Its actually quite embarrassing for all of us. Let me give you this example Endo is a manufacturer for Mizuno, Bridgestone, Yamaha, PRGR, S-Yard, Titleist, Callaway, Ben Hogan. 55% of the worlds most famous brands are made by Endo. Now all these guys on the forums are trying to compare apples to oranges or... how about apples to apples? Not really because each brand has different materials, specifications and price points they need to reach and not all clubs forged at the same place feel the same. Throw Miuras foundry in taiwan into this mix and that changes everything you thought you knew about who makes what and why it feels good. Fact is Finish plays the single biggest role on feel with carbon grade being a close second. The higher priced companies use daishin in china while the more economically priced clubs are done usually near or at the foundry.

- Custom Grind makes little difference in Irons! This is my ninth set of custom grind mizuos not to mention I have owned each model in its retail form. They way Irons are designed now days are completely neutral and beneficial to all course conditions, The Oems wouldn't design clubs any other way. Keep in mind irons are designed with specific CG locations in a certain location on each club consistently and in some cases with progression. When you get drastic and start making adjustments that location will not only move the sweet spot it will make you compensate for your swing faults where you should be correcting them.

Thanks for all the time put into this and info. Chris. I'm personally psyched you went with the Mizzies, that makes me feel even better about my set. I agree also about the custom finish option. I've played retail MP33's for several years and not only do my satin finish look awesome, I do think they feel softer. Thanks again :atsg_smilie_mizuno: !

Picture_1287.sized.jpg

Those NC-1s are driving me crazy with their good looks (for that matter so are the GAS milled wedges). My problem - I'm a high single digit handicapper and unsure of just how demanding they are. Next time out consider selecting testers who reflect a broader handicap spectrum so that 8 to 14 handicappers have a clue; statistically there's more of us and we need great clubs also.

Great reports Chris. Very detailed and gives everyone a great idea of how these irons play.

I disagree. The informational content was not all it could be. While learning that versus the custom Miz, the NC-1s have less vibration and offset, a larger top line and sole and are more forgiving, left unexplored are items like comparative trajectory, distance, and accuracy vs his standard set of clubs. Also Chris gives no indication of his game so there is no basis for judging how suitable a fit these clubs might be for anyone else whereas including his handicap, swing speed and 5 iron distance would be a logical first step in providing a bridge between his needs and others.

While the contest was framed as what's going into his bag, it was an opportunity for others who may not share his tastes or abilities to vicariously demo all the clubs under consideration. Were shot selections compromised in a particuler brand, did one set feel head heavy or light, was distance control the same for all sets, were mis**ts severely punished?

As a narrative, it was fun to read. As an aid in purchasing one of these sets it was frustrating.

I disagree. The informational content was not all it could be. While learning that versus the custom Miz, the NC-1s have less vibration and offset, a larger top line and sole and are more forgiving, left unexplored are items like comparative trajectory, distance, and accuracy vs his standard set of clubs. Also Chris gives no indication of his game so there is no basis for judging how suitable a fit these clubs might be for anyone else whereas including his handicap, swing speed and 5 iron distance would be a logical first step in providing a bridge between his needs and others.

While the contest was framed as what's going into his bag, it was an opportunity for others who may not share his tastes or abilities to vicariously demo all the clubs under consideration. Were shot selections compromised in a particuler brand, did one set feel head heavy or light, was distance control the same for all sets, were mis**ts severely punished?

As a narrative, it was fun to read. As an aid in purchasing one of these sets it was frustrating.

Demo Dazed?

Here's a thought, Chris - Round up two 6 irons from each willing company, 1 shafted regular and the other stiff. Offer a demo package of 4 or 5 for $100 (applied to purchase) plus shipping and handling and appropriate security deposit. If it wotks out, you could expand it to woods, wedges and putters.

Fair enough 8H,

My DSS is 108mph, i can crank it to 116 but my feet slide out from over swinging the club. I am for sure a hitter not a swinger with an aggressive start down from the top. I haven't had my 6 iron speed tested for quite some time now. I'm an Irons player with better than average ball striking skills, my 6 iron doesn't shoot so long only 165yds give or take 5 at any given moment. Handicap is at a firm 3 down from a 7 due to lessons, a video called the swing machine, and the addition of the GFT 4 wood. I can shoot even - 2 under 3 rounds straight then chump out a 80+ every 5-7 rounds.

comparative trajectory: With different shafts and different players testing I cant speak for the others but in my personal opinion the PRGRs had the lowest trajectory then the G-Field, Custom Mizzys and highest the XCB2. That doesn't mean these suckers fly high, I mean the CG location is anywhere from 17.5 to 19mm on all of these sets so floaty shots are not an issue of the head but more so of the shaft.

Distance & Accuracy: Anything shifted with the NS1150 goes longer for me with a better zooming upward lift to it landing softer with less roll than say an S300 etc Again the shaft differences didn't make this to easy and my goal was more selfish than anything else, what will end up in MY bag and secondary piece of mind from the results of the testing participants which honestly didn't help much at all. As far as noticeable distance gains the G-Field w/PX shafts take the lead, i was hitting my 6 iron 165-176 so just a bit further than the other clubs. I really have no standard clubs I guess with all my changing the irons I have played the most would be the NC-1. I have been playing gauge irons frequently since the original MB. So I sum it up as Distance depends more on shaft than anything, trajectory as well. If I try to take shafts out of the picture I say the custom mizunos are the most accurate, its visual and mental for me second would be the PRGRs if you connect with the ball on the proper plane they work out very pure and accurate. IMO forgiveness and accuracy work together in some ways, I mean naturally if your hitting a more forgiving club chances are it will fly straighter on a higher % of the shots, straighter and online will equal closer to the hole IMO. As far as working the ball left to right and vice versa the PRGRs take the cake! Just a slight adjustment really gives you the desired play. The G-Field long irons are extremely workable as well, in fact its the only set i can hit a low 4 iron draw from a tight lie after a pulled drive to get me back in play on the par 5's. The MP60s were the least workable.

With all these sets being players CBs they carry virtually the same attributes the difference is obviously in setup, feel, and design. I mean we are really splitting hairs when it comes to distance and accuracy but as far as feel, forgiveness, and trajectory go there are noticeably differences.

I hope this helps, If 8H or anyone else has specific question let me have um.

In regards to your demo plan 8H, we are simply not ready to handle that. We actually have a more simplified plan created but it wont be implemented until mid 2007 realistically.

Thanks for keeping me on the ball :tsg_smilie_smile:

Chris,

Good review. Very stimulating reading for sure. I own retail mp32s and MP60s with DG S300 and couldn't agree more about the PW, 9 and 8 on the mp32 set, they are scoring machines and absolutely incredible feel. For some reason I abosolutely love the PW on the 32 set, its so solid. I love the 60s as well.

Funny thing, when I finally get my new irons, I may keep my current Mizuno PW in the bag. Same deal, it may be a feel thing however with a good swing I'm disappointed not to stiff it.

Good information Chris and a good test. I'm delighted to know you have the same DSS as me!! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Edited by Jack lives here

Some kinda fun that test must've been. Heads are all the rage and shaft is king! Long live the king! Wonderful information for me to take and worry on like a dog with a fresh knuckle bone. I also appreciate everyone else's perspective on this subject. Something to ponder between shots on the course today!