The All New 2009 Epon AF-Tour Blade w/ PiCS!

TourSpecGolfer

The New AF-Tour Iron from Epon is Super Precision Forged of Soft Iron Bar 1020 Steel.

After several years of research the Endo factory decided on the Uber soft hardness rating of HRB80 for performance and feel.

The Finish is a Nickel Chrome Plating and the design is geared toward the professional player yet contains forgiveness for the low mid handicap player.

By changing the thickness or volume on the upper and lower areas the center of gravity is located at the 100% apt point. This is what makes this muscle black the most well balanced blade every released in the history of golf club design.

The width and depth of the groove on its back face is designed to support weight balance unlike any blade on the market. This is a vast improvement over other brand's cut away or muscle groove technology.

Lofts are as follows:

#3 = 22

#4 = 25

#5 = 28

#6 = 32

#7 =36

#8 = 40

#9 = 44

#PW = 48

We Just Recieved our test set's and will be taking in hand images shortly.

aftourback.jpg

aftourface.jpg

aftourset.jpg

aftourtop.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the lofts are exactly how I would have them.

Makes playing 52-56-60* wedges, which I prefer to play, a perfect fit.

Do you anticipate different finishes to be available anytime soon?

I think we are all suckers for blade irons.

I just know if the swing was on song the results with these would be spectacular.

....truly beautiful

What an beautiful iron!!

I can only admire it from afar as I know I am not good or young enough to play these beauties. :tsg_smiley_heart:

much better pictures than the spy shots. these look really nice.

from these pics, it looks like the sole has a different finish. any further details on that? is it some sort of tungsten weight?

it's interesting it's design to be forgiving enough for a low-mid cap.

would be a tough choice between these and the 901's.

really looking forward to some comparisons and more interested in performance.

Epon Press Release:

Epon Golf is scheduled to release its new 2009 model AF-Tour Muscle Back Iron this November 20th worldwide.

The New AF-Tour Iron is forged by Endo of soft 1020 Japan Industry Standard Grade Steel and features a revolutionary new design to further improve upon forgiveness when compared to traditional muscle back designs of the past.

A special die was created to form a slight cavity which lowers the center of gravity and shifts weight from the heel area to the toe producing a center of the face sweet spot instead of traditional blade designs sweet spot located closer to the heel.

We are very excited to release Epon's first Muscle back We have worked long and hard to make this new product the Ultimate Blade for the low to mid handicap player.

I can only admire it from afar as I know I am not good or young enough to play these beauties. :tsg_smiley_heart:

For sure I can't play them but they look so good and if they feel as good as they should I'm tempted to make a combo set with my AF-701! :atsg_smilie_roll:

give it a shot, you never know.

i'm playing the miura TE's once again after going through many cavity backs. finally settled on the TypeS but I don't score any different with a blade and now it's hard going back to a cavity back. the feedback that you get is so addicting. you don't even have to look after you tee off. perhaps you can get a split set and practice with a blade.

i definitely find a blade easier out of the rough..i spend a lot of time there because i can't find a driver that will work for my crappy driver swing, not even the EMB!

For sure I can't play them but they look so good and if they feel as good as they should I'm tempted to make a combo set with my AF-701! :tsg_smiley_heart:

AF-701 5-6-7 IRONS

AF Tours 7-8-9-PW

To make the lofts work you would have 2- 7 irons in the bag!!! (or 2-8 irons)

What shaft is everybody thinking?? I know I'm going with the KBS Tours.

The list of OEM'S that now offer these shafts grows almost daily. Off the top of my head,

Miura, Scratch, Ping, Epon, Cleveland....

Edited by idrive

AF Tour irons do not have any tungsten or titanium inserts. The swoosh is sand blasted to dull finish only. I am really undecided between TS-901 and this. I have seen the actual AF Tour, but never TS-901. The custom options of EPON make AF Tour very tempting. The TS-901 has an advance design, but very limited shaft options, and it may or may not be available in my country. How much will it cost from TSG? I am reconsidering the AF Tour with Super Peening Blue, but I would have to negotiate price with my good local distributor first. :tsg_smiley_heart:

Any testing done against MB-5003? Any reviews from Japan, Gocchin? Anyway, IMHO, I do not think that mixing it with something like AF701 would be a good idea. With AF301, perhaps.

Edited by 88 ROUNDS PER YEAR

AF-701 5-6-7 IRONS

AF Tours 7-8-9-PW

To make the lofts work you would have 2- 7 irons in the bag!!! (or 2-8 irons)

What shaft is everybody thinking?? I know I'm going with the KBS Tours.

The list of OEM'S that now offer these shafts grows almost daily. Off the top of my head,

Miura, Scratch, Ping, Epon, Cleveland....

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!! My combo is a set of 6-pw with my long irons being the 701 and gfield hbrids. have already shafted the aftour with kbtours:)

AF Tour irons do not have any tungsten or titanium inserts. The swoosh is sand blasted to dull finish only. I am really undecided between TS-901 and this. I have seen the actual AF Tour, but never TS-901. The custom options of EPON make AF Tour very tempting. The TS-901 has an advance design, but very limited shaft options, and it may or may not be available in my country. How much will it cost from TSG? I am reconsidering the AF Tour with Super Peening Blue, but I would have to negotiate price with my good local distributor first. :tsg_smiley_heart:

Any testing done against MB-5003? Any reviews from Japan, Gocchin? Anyway, IMHO, I do not think that mixing it with something like AF701 would be a good idea. With AF301, perhaps.

Both Miura and Epon do not get much press in Japan when it comes to publications and reviews and the thing is they prefer it that way. They have more of an underground following. So the only time I read about feedback on clubs from Epon is on personal blogs and from independent reviewers. The AF-TOUR is too new for any feedback yet. The MB-5003 was glowing with positive reviews from many blogs and indie reviewers. The TS 901 is more mainstream but has also gotten very good reviews but has been knocked for not being so forgiving (yes yes I know most blades aren't so an if a person is looking for forgiveness they shouldn't look at a blade) in other words, for the really really good ball striker. Strongest points touted in reviews for the 901 are soft feel and control.

The AF-Tour may lack some high tech feature like tungsten or infused titanium, but that doesn't mean it won't feel good or perform well. Epon's careful research and design goes into this head plus its premium forging process which definitely makes it worth a try. (^_^)

PS. I'm kidding about the combo set, and as idrive said the lofts would be way off with the AF-701 and they are just far too different... but hey if Spoon will do it... maybe in my dreams. (^_^)

Hmmm, looking at the lofts with the 301's could go

301's 4 @ 23 deg

5 @ 27 (bent 1 weaker)

6 @ 31 (bent 1 weaker)

7 @ 35 (bent 1 weaker)

then Tour blades

8 @ 40

9 @ 44

PW @ 48

only leaves one 5 degree gap between the 7 and 8.....hmmmmm

Coops

If the 901 has been knocked for it's forgiveness, how did they come to that conclusion and what did they compared that to? forgiveness is just so subjective and is a term that's been used so loosely. there are so many factors that provide forgiveness and the lack thereof, it would also depends on who's reviewing it, etc.. Unless it's done by robot testing, I just wouldn't take anyone's review on forgiveness as fact, although it can be useful as one data point.

Is the forgiveness because the club is not balanced for you and you can't hit the sweetspot causing distance loss? you can't hit the sweetspot because the swing weight is not for you, the shaft is too light and you have lack of control, you don't like the grip, the leading edge doesn't suit your angle of attack or turf condition, too long a shaft, the feedback isn't there, address position doesn't provide confidence? there are so many factors....hope i'm not just spouting off....i'll stop, it's just difficult to make an assessment when the term and information is so vague. it's like your employee coming to you saying that he has difficulty doing something because it's not working...you ask yourself..wtf..what's not working?

Jack

Edited by jacksonlui

If the 901 has been knocked for it's forgiveness, how did they come to that conclusion and what did they compared that to? forgiveness is just so subjective and is a term that's been used so loosely. there are so many factors that provide forgiveness and the lack thereof, it would also depends on who's reviewing it, etc.. Unless it's done by robot testing, I just wouldn't take anyone's review on forgiveness as fact, although it can be useful as one data point.

Is the forgiveness because the club is not balanced for you and you can't hit the sweetspot causing distance loss? you can't hit the sweetspot because the swing weight is not for you, the shaft is too light and you have lack of control, you don't like the grip, the leading edge doesn't suit your angle of attack or turf condition, too long a shaft, the feedback isn't there, address position doesn't provide confidence? there are so many factors....hope i'm not just spouting off....i'll stop, it's just difficult to make an assessment when the term and information is so vague. it's like your employee coming to you saying that he has difficulty doing something because it's not working...you ask yourself..wtf..what's not working?

Jack

Totally agree Jack, forgiveness is definitely subjective as is feel. It is definitely being used as only a data point and the complete review is not based on forgiveness. Most of the testers are pro players and reviewing for the sake of the consumer and of course their opinion is not written in stone, it's a very general guide to help buyers make good choices and that includes telling the mid handicapper they can't hit that iron.

In most cases the tests measure off center hits and distance loss + ease of use. The review I happened to be looking at compared athlete golfer irons ie the 901, zr-800, zr-30, VR forged Blade, VR cavity back MP-62, X-Blade 701 etc... The 901 had terrific feel and control but was on the higher difficulty scale and that totally makes sense especially when there are larger CB's in the tests. And you're right there are a million factors involved for any iron and any test... but if we're going to knock every review or any feedback for consistency, then magazines, user feedback on this forum or in any medium may as well be called useless since we all swing different, play different setups, different courses etc. But it's not useless because it gives us all a general idea about a product. (^_^)

The new Epon AF Tours are absolutely stunning. I will need a set of these down the road but right now I'll be busy with the TourStage 901's. I'll have them back this week with the KBS (and a tune-up!. Thanks Goodsie) and you can best believe I'll be hitting them a lot and providing feedback for you all.

One thing about the 901's. Having hit them a limited time before I sent them off, I believe them to be a better iron than the old X-blade 2's. While they are the same length, the 901's are taller and have a much better "feel". Its my early prediction that if one could hit the old 2's the 901's will be even easier.

It is my opinion that any blade released now, is of superior technology than those of previous years just because the knock on blades for so long has been they are unhittable. However, when you've designers such as the ones at Epon with all their CAD design and testing, I don't think one could go wrong. Even the Miura 5003's which could look very intimidating to some have been touted here as being very easy to hit.

I'm sure its only a matter of time before the AF-Tours are released with finish options as well as lie options and it will be just another stellar product from Epon.