Forged Cavity Back Iron Suggestions from the forum

PGAPro

guys,

been a member for a while now and bought some JDM stuff here and there but never a set of irons, here is what I'm looking for in an iron, I would like the help of those who are "in the know" about the equipment

price is not an issue, just tell me what you think I would like best, here is what I'm looking for

• A player's cavity back profile that is relatively soft feeling
  • needs to have some offset (not a lot but none isn't good either)
  • would prefer a thinnish topline (as long as it isn't thick)
  • I'm sort of a low ball hitter with lower spin so the higher the launch the better for me (usually like thinner soles as well but open to suggestions)
  • my set will consist of only 4-PW and will most likely be shafted with an s200 shaft or something similar
  • 5 iron will be 37.75 inches or 38 inches
  • MUST have conforming grooves for my tournaments

please give suggestions based on looks, feel, experience, quality, whatever.....I know very little about Japanese irons so I need your help

thanks,

PGAPro

Edited by PGAPro

Hi have you tried Miuras? Or maybe you could go for the Yamaha XV forged Tour , that should fit your requirements.

Hope that helps.

Hi have you tried Miuras? Or maybe you could go for the Yamaha XV forged Tour , that should fit your requirements.

Hope that helps.

have tried Miuras and wasn't the biggest fan but their new 501 might fit my needs, I will check into the Yamaha as you suggested, thanks

like the looks of both Epon & Fourteen from what I have seen

the 302 from Epon and maybe that 910 or 710 from Fourteen, any feedback at all would be certainly appreciated, I know we have some guys here that know equipment

I suspect both Chris and Gocchin will have an opinion and I will listen to them, both great guys to deal with

thanks

like the looks of both Epon & Fourteen from what I have seen

the 302 from Epon and maybe that 910 or 710 from Fourteen, any feedback at all would be certainly appreciated, I know we have some guys here that know equipment

I suspect both Chris and Gocchin will have an opinion and I will listen to them, both great guys to deal with

thanks

i was going to say epon 302 immediatly. but im not sure if thet are conforming grooves.

the sole on them isnt small is pretty full but not too bad.

workability is good without being extreme.

shafted with nippon stell super peening blue on lush grass there isnt much eslse sweeterto hit.

and they spec them 100 % to ur requirements.

yamaha are a bit smaller,, bogeydog is the expert on these.

saw some very tasty mizzies at the show but i was only loking at the blades. the mp68s i think they were just beautiful.

pretty much all end forged irons are as good as there is to hit.

i had a good look at the 901 from Fourteeen and they look really good, they are endo forged. and the lines on them are not too chunky.

i thought the tc1000 from a cpl of yrs back look more pro esque tho the 910s look more cavity based than player based

saying that i do game the kyoei irons , they feel more like miuras , a bit more solid. super direct and distance control in my ones anyway just brilliant.

Edited by supo67

302's

they are everything you're looking for.

no better iron

guys,

been a member for a while now and bought some JDM stuff here and there but never a set of irons, here is what I'm looking for in an iron, I would like the help of those who are "in the know" about the equipment

price is not an issue, just tell me what you think I would like best, here is what I'm looking for

• I'm sort of a low ball hitter with lower spin so the higher the launch the better for me (usually like thinner soles as well but open to suggestions)
  • my set will consist of only 4-PW and will most likely be shafted with an s200 shaft or something similar

please give suggestions based on looks, feel, experience, quality, whatever.....I know very little about Japanese irons so I need your help

thanks,

PGAPro

As far as Yamaha, I believe in them 100%. I have owned wach Tour model for the past 4 years. Based on your specs and desires, I must say the Yamaha Tours are spot on. The Epon 302s are also right there. Both Endo forged. The issue with Yamaha is the availability. Only 1200 sets. Both are extremelly excellent. I prefer the Yamaha feel and look at address. It is slightly more compact than the 302.

Where in the US are you? PM me as we could be close thus I could show you the Yamaha 2011 Tour irons. With some magic, maybe TSG can source you a set.

I would also look into the new Tourstage offerings. They sure look good.

guys,

thanks,

PGAPro

Epon 302s but with Nippon Super Peening Orange to kick it out higher than the dynamic golds + way better feel in the nippons

J, good to see you. Its been a while!

Agree with either AF-302 or Yamaha Tour Models. The tour models are already hard to get.

Skip is on with the super peening... great feel, very smooth.

Epon 302 - Super Peening Blue.

2011 Yamaha V Forged! Not the Tour, the regular model.

I am impressed! For me it rivals the AF302.

Another one to look at is the Japan Only Titleist VG3 ( its the softest sounding, feeling iron ive seen with an undercut )

Thanks,

Chris

• 12 years later...

Is this a record?