Ryoma - Field Testing w/Joe Average Golfer(S)

idrive

FWIW

I have been having my playing partners (about 20 so far)

hit the Ryoma/Quadra Driver setup.

they hit the Ryoma after they hit their t shot IF they have hit a good drive.

EVERYONE without exception hits the Ryoma farther and straighter. EVERYONE.

This is the first driver that has yet to have a negative in any way from anyone that

has hit it and some of the guys I play with are very skeptical... tough crowd.

Is it the longest driver?? Maybe, maybe not but it is the most forgiving, best overall

driver for the recreational golfer out there that I've come across. Matched with the

right shaft for your swing and you will be a better golfer. I don't usually say that about

a golf club. Bad swing, bad results... the ryoma makes the bad swings end up longer,

straighter.

My buddy who gives me a bad time about my J-spec eq. called me yesterday to

see if he could use the driver for his tournament today... that's almost like changing

lead into gold. doesn't happen. I told him no.... didn't want him to have an unfair

advantage...

Anyone else getting these same results?? would like to hear from everyone else that's

hitting/testing this driver. It may not make my bag but I think I can rent it out and

end up coming out ahead....

If you don't hit the sweet spot every time, want more distance on mis**ts... this

is your driver. Feels and sounds good too.

Edited by idrive

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW

I have been having my playing partners (about 20 so far)

hit the Ryoma/Quadra Driver setup.

they hit the Ryoma after they hit their t shot IF they have hit a good drive.

EVERYONE without exception hits the Ryoma farther and straighter. EVERYONE.

This is the first driver that has yet to have a negative in any way from anyone that

has hit it and some of the guys I play with are very skeptical... tough crowd.

Is it the longest driver?? Maybe, maybe not but it is the most forgiving, best overall

driver for the recreational golfer out there that I've come across. Matched with the

right shaft for your swing and you will be a better golfer. I don't usually say that about

a golf club. Bad swing, bad results... the ryoma makes the bad swings end up longer,

straighter.

My buddy who gives me a bad time about my J-spec eq. called me yesterday to

see if he could use the driver for his tournament today... that's almost like changing

lead into gold. doesn't happen. I told him no.... didn't want him to have an unfair

advantage...

Anyone else getting these same results?? would like to hear from everyone else that's

hitting/testing this driver. It may not make my bag but I think I can rent it out and

end up coming out ahead....

If you don't hit the sweet spot every time, want more distance on mis**ts... this

is your driver. Feels and sounds good too.

hahhhaahah lead in to gold!

well...........,

my buddy on sat palyed his 47.5 inch ryoma / shingo spec m6 monstosity ......., 10.5*

swing weight (get this............E7)

yes...........!

against me and was there or there abouts like 10-15 behind most of the day into pretty storng gusting winds.

hes more like 30+ yards behind me most of the time

ill say its the longest certianly the longest hes ever hit a blall

and ill say its the longest driver ive ever hit.

................ and i dont even have one.............

the ball flight was absolutely terrific mid lsight no pop up raising aeroplane style flight just a thing of beauty.

he was hitting small fades and small draws all day . pretty mcu h down the centre.

easily the best hes ever driven. id say he hit a cpl of 280s and ive never seen him hit longer than 265 that kinda difference.

ive played 80 + times games with him.

thing is now....... the stig is going to lift one of these and that spells trouble..........

beceause he can hit an iron ,

and he likes my money.

(i shud get a damn finders fee !)

however......., the spectaclualr news is

than means i get to have his 2010 shingo m6 !

beceause its now redundant

yes...........!!

i shud have hit it on course but i was getting so toasted on sat that my mind was in damage control and i cudnt afford to muck about.

i did hit it at the range pre game. and it was a big draw ball for me that set up too much

but for tedders itwas like finding a spec of gold amonsgt the lead.!

totally differnt feeling from my clubs bec of the power tail.

tedders SS is about 100 ish and this initial conditioning of the driver was an experiment .

it just came in at these numbers, after construction.

he was fully going to cut it down to 46 but after sat

the only was to get this out of his bag is

"to pry it form his cold........dead..........fingers..............."

ryoma........ 1

field.......catch up.......!

A lot of people have gotten Ryoma's and most have come back to me with feedback on simply how easy it is to hit.

this is what I touched on in my reviews and testing... a bad shot goes far, a good shot even farther.

Low spin, good carry good run... all around its a very strong performer.

One can never have enough forgiveness especially we average Joes.

We just sent a demo to bogeydog which will start making the rounds to those who ask for it.

Bogey's comments to me by email have already been very positive after a session at the range.

A lot of people have gotten Ryoma's and most have come back to me with feedback on simply how easy it is to hit.

this is what I touched on in my reviews and testing... a bad shot goes far, a good shot even farther.

Low spin, good carry good run... all around its a very strong performer.

One can never have enough forgiveness especially we average Joes.

We just sent a demo to bogeydog which will start making the rounds to those who ask for it.

Bogey's comments to me by email have already been very positive after a session at the range.

T, how do you get in line to hit this demo club?

Jim

I have the demo here in Maryland. I took it to the range Saturday. I must say, yes it is so easy to hit, almost automatic. What surprised me was the powerful feel that it had. My miss is towards the toe. These created a slight draw. I knew they we slightly missed, but if on a course, my playing partners would never know. It is a very nice looking club from address. I never noticed the funny sole design.

I will likely buy one, but I am not sure what to shaft it with: Quadra FE, Crazy or my JPGA Griffin. I almost think it could be a monster with a Matrix Ozik Xcon5 (I know this is politically incorrect)

I will test it on the course Wednesday then ship it off the next demonstrator.

Edited by bogeydog

I have a Kamui on a Crazy LY01 and have ordered a Ryoma on the exact same shaft. It would be an interesting head-to-head contest when I get the Ryoma (Tario, hurry hurry!). From what I have been hearing/reading, I don't doubt that the Ryoma would be longer and straighter on the mis-hits. But from what I've been getting off the sweet spot of the Kamui, I'd be really surprised, shocked even, if the Ryoma could outhit the Kamui on the good shots. We'll see........ ;)

I have a Kamui on a Crazy LY01 and have ordered a Ryoma on the exact same shaft. It would be an interesting head-to-head contest when I get the Ryoma (Tario, hurry hurry!). From what I have been hearing/reading, I don't doubt that the Ryoma would be longer and straighter on the mis-hits. But from what I've been getting off the sweet spot of the Kamui, I'd be really surprised, shocked even, if the Ryoma could outhit the Kamui on the good shots. We'll see........ ;)

Frank based on its design, it is not only more forgiving but it should technically be longer as its single frame body and huge weight on its as should really transfer energy better than the more classic Kamui. Also the Ryoma for sure is a lower spinning head.

Frank based on its design, it is not only more forgiving but it should technically be longer as its single frame body and huge weight on its as should really transfer energy better than the more classic Kamui. Also the Ryoma for sure is a lower spinning head.

That's good to hear. I didn't ask you -- I know for a fact that the custom lie angle on my Kamui made a big difference to hitting solid shots, how would the Ryoma measure up with its standard lie angle, which may not be absolutely suited to me?

That's good to hear. I didn't ask you -- I know for a fact that the custom lie angle on my Kamui made a big difference to hitting solid shots, how would the Ryoma measure up with its standard lie angle, which may not be absolutely suited to me?

Hi Frank,

The 1* difference in lie angle, 58* for the Kamui vs 59* for the ryoma should not make a huge difference though compared to 61 and 62* which is very common on some JDM retail drivers now the 58-59* should reduce shots left.

A lot will come down to how you swing as well of course and what your bad shot is. I'm sure you will be able to hit solid shots with the Ryoma.

Hi guys!

I too recently got myself a ryoma. When contemplating to buy it I too was very skeptical. Even more when it is lighter than normal drivers i have previously used. On top of that i too have expressed my concern regarding the shaft flex. My very first driver was tourstage Japan make. Even with an SR flex the tourstage came way way too soft. The head is very good though.

When i made my final decision to part with my blood and sweat to exchange my "house" for a driver i was very excited. I hardly had time to go on course, mostly in driving range. As the range was only till 200m i can't really tell for sure how far it went. Finally time to test it out on course. The ball flight and the rest was very comparable to my previous driver and how it looked like in the driving range.

However the actual distance it produce was absolutely horrifying. I was easily 30m ahead of my previous driver. Even more so I didn't really hit the sweet spot on a good swing. It was probably a 90% good swing and impact.

The feel is really smooth. So smooth until i became over confident and tried to swing faster and press harder. Then it became really awful. I hardly hit it nicely. Mostly hooks.

When i began to realise my mistake it was too late an lost the game. This is definitely the most easiest driver to use. So simple and straight that it Ia very good for Avg Joe. I am a bit more seasoned even though i hardly play on course. But i spent many evenings in the driving range. Now you guys might assume that i began to hat this driver but NO!! I want to exchange it for the premia. T! Can I change? Haha. Now i have learned to control this wild horse. I too notice my swing speed has increased. Partly due to its lighter weight and also it superbly easy to use and far. But it is still difficult to control this wild horse. I must learn to self control myself. I always has a tendency to want hit it further and further. Which at times i succeed.

Enuf said. This superb driver needs a great deal of self control (my opinion) otherwise you Will lose control of your mind keep on wanting to hit further and further.

Great piece of work indeed.

Hi Billy.

W/c model did you pick up? Also, do you think that the shaft may have something to do with the loss of control when you go after it? Maybe a stiffer flex or a different shaft profile for your swing?

With a 10.5* V-Spec Ryoma driver stock stiff/regular shaft I lose the ball also. Aftermarket shaft was needed in my case!

Hi guys!

I too recently got myself a ryoma. When contemplating to buy it I too was very skeptical. Even more when it is lighter than normal drivers i have previously used. On top of that i too have expressed my concern regarding the shaft flex. My very first driver was tourstage Japan make. Even with an SR flex the tourstage came way way too soft. The head is very good though.

When i made my final decision to part with my blood and sweat to exchange my "house" for a driver i was very excited. I hardly had time to go on course, mostly in driving range. As the range was only till 200m i can't really tell for sure how far it went. Finally time to test it out on course. The ball flight and the rest was very comparable to my previous driver and how it looked like in the driving range.

However the actual distance it produce was absolutely horrifying. I was easily 30m ahead of my previous driver. Even more so I didn't really hit the sweet spot on a good swing. It was probably a 90% good swing and impact.

The feel is really smooth. So smooth until i became over confident and tried to swing faster and press harder. Then it became really awful. I hardly hit it nicely. Mostly hooks.

When i began to realise my mistake it was too late an lost the game. This is definitely the most easiest driver to use. So simple and straight that it Ia very good for Avg Joe. I am a bit more seasoned even though i hardly play on course. But i spent many evenings in the driving range. Now you guys might assume that i began to hat this driver but NO!! I want to exchange it for the premia. T! Can I change? Haha. Now i have learned to control this wild horse. I too notice my swing speed has increased. Partly due to its lighter weight and also it superbly easy to use and far. But it is still difficult to control this wild horse. I must learn to self control myself. I always has a tendency to want hit it further and further. Which at times i succeed.

Enuf said. This superb driver needs a great deal of self control (my opinion) otherwise you Will lose control of your mind keep on wanting to hit further and further.

Great piece of work indeed.

Billy glad to hear you gained 30m over your previous driver. That in itself speaks of the ryomas performance.

For any player, swinging harder and pressing will cause loss of control, so in this case we'll have to look at a shaft. (email me)

But plus 30m more means you should not have to push harder and press... you are just getting greedy for distance! - haha but don't we all! (^_^)

For those who wonder Billy is playing a standard D-1 with SR flex.

Actually i was thinking about the shaft profile as well. But my first few tries were superb! What happened eventually was i force my swing to be faster and has more jerk actions. This i had to blame on the superb shaft. Because i became too comfortable with it and tend to not only swing faster but created more jerking action while at it. That's why i call it a wild horse cos u tend to want it to be further and further.

I pulled back all my wild actions and swing more. Now everything went back to normal. It has to do with my swing. Also the slightly closed face also made my swing and address a little weird and uncomfortable. But i overcame it. Thinking back i think it Will be better if the shaft is a little more stiffer. I think i Will do great. I have intention of changing it to crazy. Yeah i'm crazy like my mates called me. Now not only i have to remember to swing more instead of forcing it to go further but i need to sell another small "house" to shaft it with crazy.

Actually i was thinking about the shaft profile as well. But my first few tries were superb! What happened eventually was i force my swing to be faster and has more jerk actions. This i had to blame on the superb shaft. Because i became too comfortable with it and tend to not only swing faster but created more jerking action while at it. That's why i call it a wild horse cos u tend to want it to be further and further.

I pulled back all my wild actions and swing more. Now everything went back to normal. It has to do with my swing. Also the slightly closed face also made my swing and address a little weird and uncomfortable. But i overcame it. Thinking back i think it Will be better if the shaft is a little more stiffer. I think i Will do great. I have intention of changing it to crazy. Yeah i'm crazy like my mates called me. Now not only i have to remember to swing more instead of forcing it to go further but i need to sell another small "house" to shaft it with crazy.

Billy, swinging faster is only useful if your swing speed peaks at impact. In any case, swing speed is not the only way to getting more distance. As importantly, if not more so, you'd want to get a good contact with the ball. Without control, the extra 30m may end up being in the wrong direction and that can't be a good thing!

You guys are absolutely correct. Excitement and curiosity overpowered me when i first started using this. That's why the first few rounds were fantastic. Till i start experimenting and wanting to got more distance. That's when i starts to get crazy. Well I've learned my lesson. To all master i shall keep my reins tight on this horse. Or maybe i need a "crazy" shaft to tame this stallion.

My first round with the Ryoma this morning. I started the round with it; the 'feel' wasn't too much different from my Kamui and expectedly so, since they both sport the same Crazy shaft and made to be the same swing weight. The 0.5° open face of the V-Spec wasn't noticeable at address, which was a good thing. The first shot was a slight pull and I didn't get a good contact. It still sounded pretty good, I must say, and I still found the fairway but I didn't notice any significant gain in distance from this 'bad' hit as I would have expected from the Kamui.

The performance was quite consistent on the off-center hits (wasn't driving too well today). I thought the dispersion was tighter than the Kamui but I still didn't see any noticeable increase in distance. I was beginning to think maybe it had to be a really poor hit to get the gains? Or else the Kamui is just as good? On the good drives, I also didn't get anything over the Kamui. In fact, in some instances, I felt I would have gotten a few more yards out of the Kamui -- but that is probably unfair to say since I am not completely comfortable with the Ryoma yet.

Anyway, my partnership was 2-down after 9, so I decided to stop fiddling with Ryoma and switched back to the Kamui. Happily, we ended winning 2-up. This was by no means a conclusive test; I would probably have to find some range time with the Ryoma to get better acquainted with it. Lets see if it does better next week.

My first round with the Ryoma this morning. I started the round with it; the 'feel' wasn't too much different from my Kamui and expectedly so, since they both sport the same Crazy shaft and made to be the same swing weight. The 0.5° open face of the V-Spec wasn't noticeable at address, which was a good thing. The first shot was a slight pull and I didn't get a good contact. It still sounded pretty good, I must say, and I still found the fairway but I didn't notice any significant gain in distance from this 'bad' hit as I would have expected from the Kamui.

The performance was quite consistent on the off-center hits (wasn't driving too well today). I thought the dispersion was tighter than the Kamui but I still didn't see any noticeable increase in distance. I was beginning to think maybe it had to be a really poor hit to get the gains? Or else the Kamui is just as good? On the good drives, I also didn't get anything over the Kamui. In fact, in some instances, I felt I would have gotten a few more yards out of the Kamui -- but that is probably unfair to say since I am not completely comfortable with the Ryoma yet.

Anyway, my partnership was 2-down after 9, so I decided to stop fiddling with Ryoma and switched back to the Kamui. Happily, we ended winning 2-up. This was by no means a conclusive test; I would probably have to find some range time with the Ryoma to get better acquainted with it. Lets see if it does better next week.

Frank, nice review!

I take it that both the Ryoma & Kamui heads are roughly the same specs. Did you have similar trajectories between the two and how was the dispersion of your bad hits with the Ryoma compared to the Kamui?

Also, I'm wondering if the distance gains for some are because of a longer stock shaft length of the other models(???).

Hope to hear more about your impressions after you've been able to spend more quality time with it.

Give the Ryoma a bit of time Frank. I remembered you had emailed me saying the Kamui had great distance but miss hits were shorter than usual. The Ryoma should not be like that. I gamed the Kamui for a whole summer and I find the Ryoma not only longer but a lot more forgiving on miss hits. Once you dial it in hopefully you can see some differences.

ok.....,

45.25 x 321 x d1.5

crazy 80 noir 7.7

ryoma v-spec d1 9.5*

today at sentosa serapong course .

first time in a match at a course about as good as they get

tees bit fr forward but never the less got to see how this palys in all tis glory

sultry 24* no wind ,typical singapore day

front nine was a bit eratic hit 4 of 7

back nine got it sorted nicely an hit 5 of 6 and found the centre of the club on all but 1shot

distance was as expected. excellent seriosuly excellent got a cpl of biggies going and was a long way down the centre

control overall was good although i hit a cpl of slices in the day but the results werent attrocious just missed the fairway by 10 yards.

feel was good, def NOT my favourite, tho like the epon and yamaha better for feel.

look at address is hard to come to terms with at first its a elongated rounded square looking face and it looks closed but isnt.

the face looks a bit thin and long but its has that v or triangle shape on the face that frames the ball beautifully.

the head shape is very appealing can not notice the power tail at all and looks very agreeable.

at the end of the game i was saying to my partners of the day this was the first ive played with it and all of them agrreed unanimously if ichangd drivers i was MAD.

i hit a bunch on the range and tried moving it about

and found i could work it a wee bit, more than the 435 jbeam not as much as the 425 prob slightly more than the 102 no where near as much as th 101.

as for an over all combo, well that noir shaft is good, its def a slight draw ball compared to the tj adn the crazy 80 and 50 . not as low spin as some other i felt .havnt looked at the specs but id be surprised if tis the same as the 80, 50 or tj

took me a little while to play to the draw ball , setting up on the left side ofthe box a lot nad hitting to unfamiliar territory .

but after i trusted my self to unleash over the right side terrain the results were great.

this is most def a keeper and a club ill play alot .

do i like it as much as my other big 4...... not sure yet, but one thing i noticed is its a better performer when i didnt go hard at it and just smoothed it

i think this is the best driver ive hit for that shot.

def in the rotation wont change it around liked what i had .

i def got few right out there trajectory was superb mid flight with lots of roll thats the shot im after in drivers

id have to say this was easily as long and straight as my good drivers .

but i wasnt "wow this is the best ever." like i was expecting................,

and i think i prefered the the stinger shaft in it ..,

i think this driver wil be a driver i use a lot , its def in my favourites after 1 match

and i think ill play it if im not driving well on the range , bec its forgivability is superb.

its in the final...!

Edited by supo67

I am waiting for the club to come...

I ordered a premia 8.5. Was thinking about v spec 8.5, 'cause i really like the black color over gold. However, I prefer squared face. I hate closed face. Not sure about the open one....

Hopefully i made the right decision