Iron shaft roundup - what's your all-time favorite & why?

Mjr. D

i have a set of SP blues in my irons but i got them in stiff flex and i think that might be a little too much for me. i'm considering just toning it down to some ns pro 950s in reg flex. i know the SP blues get a lot of love but am i being crazy to want to remove them for a lesser quality shaft? they're installed in a set of miura mc-102s.

if i do change them out i'll sell the SP blues here. i have no idea how much pullouts can actually sell for since i don't see them listed that often, any idea? it's 4-pw, standard length.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say the NS950 is lower quality. It's just different and fit's a wider range of player.

I get along great with NS950, one of the best feeling and easiest to hit shafts around.

lots of people like it less because its a standard shaft offering. I consider it an upgrade to the standard dynamic gold shaft.

NS Pro 950s are great shafts, super smooth just a bit too high for me. There's a NS Pro 8950 for the North American market that I liked better. A little heavier and lower torque than the 950s. I'm considering for my Onoff 247s either SPB stiff, Modus 3 stiff or C-Tapers R+, I play my irons stiff and 1/2" or 3/4" over 38" 5 iron and swing weight can be an issue. Any thoughts?

"

No insult intended, but if you fit into a R flex in 950s then i can understand why the SP Blues in S donesnt agree with you as not only is it a flex to stiff, but the SP Blue is also a far more demanding profile than the 950.....

The 950 def isn't a lower quality shaft, just a much different type of shaft for a much different type of player than SP Blues. If your looking for a lighter weight, easier to load/launch shaft, than the 950 is top quality indeed, NS Pros are fantastic shafts regardless of the model.

J.

i guess i mis-spoke when i said lower quality. the 950s just seems to get less love than the peenings. however, you guys are all probably hard hitters and i'm still a noob.

i didn't get fitted for the peenings...that's what the clubs came with on a great deal on ebay. the reason why i wanna switch them is because they feel way too heavy than what i was used to in my previous set of irons. i have a couple 950s in my wedges and like the weight, altho those are stiff flex, not reg.

so any idea how much 4-pw pullouts would sell for? and any of you guys interested? :)

They aren't expensive at all brand new(not 100% sure the exact cost), it would probably not cost you much more to find somewhere that sells them locally than to buy a set of pulls and have to pay shipping.

J.

Oh, also, were the SP Blues in Stiff flex playable for you? If you were able to game them, but they just felt a bit too heavy and stiff for you i would def say go for a Stiff flex in the 950s, if the SP Blues were just flat out unplayable and you really struggled just to swing the club and make decent contact, then go for the R flex in the 950s.... I'm not a professional fitter and I would def recommend having a full fitting done with a pro if you can, but that's just what I would suggest based on my experience with ALOT of different shafts, flexes, and other specs...

J.

NS Pro 950s are great shafts, super smooth just a bit too high for me. There's a NS Pro 8950 for the North American market that I liked better. A little heavier and lower torque than the 950s. I'm considering for my Onoff 247s either SPB stiff, Modus 3 stiff or C-Tapers R+, I play my irons stiff and 1/2" or 3/4" over 38" 5 iron and swing weight can be an issue. Any thoughts?

"

I went for the C Tapers R+ hardstepped once coming from S300, PX5.5 & KBS Tous Stiff. It is lighter at 115g and awesome on the1957s. No exaggeration, my game is like night and day, shooting so consistently in the 70s and dropped 3shots in the 1st 2 months and its not even summer yet when my game peaks :) Playing it your length 38.5" 5 iron (?) you may have to go standard stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

how do the 950s compare with DG R300 SLs? they are going into miura mc 102s.

ns950s are going to launch higher than dgr300 sls. the dgr300 is a r flex s300 in the 120+ region

while the sl is around 115. ns 950 is around 95 grams R and 105 stiff. theNS950 will have a lower

kickpoint=higher flight VS the DG higher kick, lower launch than 950 but not by much. Nippon though

will be the smoother one though. depends what you like snappier or smoother?

yesterday 10/8 i made a surprising discovery.

reshafted my 302 4 iron with shimada tour, used for 3 rounds coming from sp blue in #4.

the shimada 4 iron was not to my liking. i got very handsy with it and had a lot of snap hooks,

sure its my swing but i think the shaft should adapt to my swing not the other way around. was

going beyond my comfort factor. i was also longer , higher straighter with my old ns950 HL shaft.

in short the shimada tour 120 not for me. kick was very snappy, i like the rubbery kick of nspro better.

havent given up yet i have a shimada tour lite s on standby and will reshaft my #4 today. this should be

less demanding and prove more frutful, at least i hope it should compared to the tour 120. i normally play

my long irons lighter anyway so no surprise there.

another discovery i made was that the shimada black tour 120 wedge is the best wedge shaft i have ever tried.

having tried SP blue, TT TC, Black golds, DGS4 tour issue, 2f15 protos, ozik programs and my current gamers DG

spinners, these black are in a different bracket. they are very very tight. dispersion was amazing. i usually pull my

gap wedge when i really go after it but this wedge shaft held up. is also much lower than any USDM and japanese

shaft i have ever tried. i also rate this to be spinnier than my ultra high spinning DG spinners shafts on conforming

wedges. i love it! i am reshafting all my wedges with this shaft as we speak.

i know that this is a wedge shaft but i would have hoped the shimada iron shafts felt like this. may even consider shafting

my 9 and pw with this amazing shaft! ive ended my dg wedge era. long live the shimada black wedge!

@ spoon, i have been looking to change my wedge shafts. Currently using kbs tour black but find it lacks a bit of feel, balloons & loose dispersion. You mentioned shimada tour 120 black.......have you tired the crazy tour black wedges ? If yes how do these compare ? Thks

@ spoon, i have been looking to change my wedge shafts. Currently using kbs tour black but find it lacks a bit of feel, balloons & loose dispersion. You mentioned shimada tour 120 black.......have you tired the crazy tour black wedges ? If yes how do these compare ? Thks

Yes i have tried the kbs tour, it was ok personally. but cannot compare it to the SP blue, nvs wedge. but those two cannot even compare to the shimada.

in my heirarchy of wedge shafts i would rate: shimada black>dg spinner LOB > 2F15 protos > DG s400 tour issue > SP blue > nspro WV125 > KBS TOUR

the shimada black is the numero uno wedge i have tried. Thanks to Jason his recommendation is spot on.

feels the same as the crazy:)

yesterday 10/8 i made a surprising discovery.

another discovery i made was that the shimada black tour 120 wedge is the best wedge shaft i have ever tried.

having tried SP blue, TT TC, Black golds, DGS4 tour issue, 2f15 protos, ozik programs and my current gamers DG

spinners, these black are in a different bracket. they are very very tight. dispersion was amazing. i usually pull my

gap wedge when i really go after it but this wedge shaft held up. is also much lower than any USDM and japanese

shaft i have ever tried. i also rate this to be spinnier than my ultra high spinning DG spinners shafts on conforming

wedges. i love it! i am reshafting all my wedges with this shaft as we speak.

i know that this is a wedge shaft but i would have hoped the shimada iron shafts felt like this. may even consider shafting

my 9 and pw with this amazing shaft! ive ended my dg wedge era. long live the shimada black wedge!

Looks like there's a 110 version in both chrome & black. I'll need to find these over here to give them a try.

Looks like there's a 110 version in both chrome & black. I'll need to find these over here to give them a try.

yup they have a 110 version but dont think it comes in black. you defintely have to give it a try.

actually to dispel some notions, its not really black. actually its not, far from it. just has a smokish

sheen to it. similar to the nspro 999s but lighter.

Yes i have tried the kbs tour, it was ok personally. but cannot compare it to the SP blue, nvs wedge. but those two cannot even compare to the shimada.

in my heirarchy of wedge shafts i would rate: shimada black>dg spinner LOB > 2F15 protos > DG s400 tour issue > SP blue > nspro WV125 > KBS TOUR

the shimada black is the numero uno wedge i have tried. Thanks to Jason his recommendation is spot on.

feels the same as the crazy:)

Where do you get the shimada 120 tour black wedge shafts ? My local guys in HK dont have it & cant find it in the proshop jdm website ? Thks

Edited by Chanaa

Where do you get the shimada 120 tour black wedge shafts ? My local guys in HK dont have it & cant find it in the proshop jdm website ? Thks

Pm Gochhin. i am sure that TSG can get these for you.

Shimada is a specialty shaft so not a lot of builders carry them

I'm using Aerotech Steelfiber i110's in my Bridgestone J38 DPC irons -- S flex soft-stepped once. I tried the 95g version with a D3 swing weight but they just didn't feel right. Soft-stepped the 110's and built them to D2 and that was the magic combo. I also use Prosoft Inserts (for elbow tendonitis) and the clubs feel like a hot knife through butter. I put the 125g Aerotech's in my wedges.

Steelfibers are expensive but I've found them to be every bit as accurate as anything else with the benefit of absorbing shock without losing feel. These are great shafts.

Both the Shimadaand Crazy wedge shafts are beyond awesome, and anyone looking for a wedge shaft should really not look past these... The two shafts are VERY similar, borderline the same, the Crazy is a bit stiffer and a hair lower while the Shimada gives a touch more feel and spin, honestly though I highly doubt most people would be able to tell the difference... You can also order the Shimadas(both 110 and 120) with deign tuning finishes that look aweessoommee!!! Really fantastic shafts that will suit a pretty wide variety of players.

J.

Both the Shimadaand Crazy wedge shafts are beyond awesome, and anyone looking for a wedge shaft should really not look past these... The two shafts are VERY similar, borderline the same, the Crazy is a bit stiffer and a hair lower while the Shimada gives a touch more feel and spin, honestly though I highly doubt most people would be able to tell the difference... You can also order the Shimadas(both 110 and 120) with deign tuning finishes that look aweessoommee!!! Really fantastic shafts that will suit a pretty wide variety of players.

J.

Thks ! The shimadas on the way :-)

Looking into the Nippon 8950s. It was recommended i go with stiff 950s stiff softstepped once. Looks like I can go R flex in these. Anyone have any experience with these shafts?

I had the Nippon 8950s, really liked these. They're a little heavier and lower torque than the 950s, so lower launch but still have that smooth feel.

What's the difference between Shimada K's and Shimada Tour shafts? Is your link one to the Japanese website and the other one to the international line?

Guest kbeasley

What's the difference between Shimada K's and Shimada Tour shafts? Is your link one to the Japanese website and the other one to the international line?

I would love to give the Shimada wedge shafts a try, but I can't seem to find any resellers in the US.

Have any US based members had any luck purchasing these?

J.

J,

Have you had a chance to try the Shimada 110 wedge shaft? If so, does it have the same characteristics as the 120?

J,

Have you had a chance to try the Shimada 110 wedge shaft? If so, does it have the same characteristics as the 120?

I have the 110 and the 120

The 110 is mushier and more elastic, has the more powerful

Kick and is generally easier to use for the majority of golfers,

The. 120 is heavier, tighter and more stable.

I use the 120 in my gap and sand and the 110 in my lob.

I use 3/4th swings with my lob the most hence the more flexible shaft