Crazy Royal Decoration + Ryoma

jamnguy1

There's been lots of posts about the Ryoma driver.

The Ryoma driver is forgiving and launches high, but I didn't get the distance gains out of it compared to some of my other drivers ...

Not until I put a Crazy royal decoration shaft in it.

I did play it about 1 inch longer at 46", but the gains are quite noticeable.

At the range, there's this big tree about 210y away. Usually I would hit some of the big branches off the middle or top of the tree.

With this combination, I'm able to hit it over the tree.

I think what did it was the shaft. This is a lightweight shaft with a BIG kick.

I was able to let this shaft work with little effort on my part.

I will be getting another royal decoration shaft with an even softer flex just to see if I can control an even bigger kick.

BTW, I was going to upload some pictures, but the site is not allowing it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's been lots of posts about the Ryoma driver.

The Ryoma driver is forgiving and launches high, but I didn't get the distance gains out of it compared to some of my other drivers ...

Not until I put a Crazy royal decoration shaft in it.

I did play it about 1 inch longer at 46", but the gains are quite noticeable.

At the range, there's this big tree about 210y away. Usually I would hit some of the big branches off the middle or top of the tree.

With this combination, I'm able to hit it over the tree.

I think what did it was the shaft. This is a lightweight shaft with a BIG kick.

I was able to let this shaft work with little effort on my part.

I will be getting another royal decoration shaft with an even softer flex just to see if I can control an even bigger kick.

BTW, I was going to upload some pictures, but the site is not allowing it.

J, what are the club specs of your current set-up?

You'll need to downsize the file size of the pics to be able to get them to post.

Ryoma V-spec 10.5

Royal Dec SR flex

46" length

SW D2

J, what is your swing speed? I have the same set up with TJ-46 Noir at 6.2 45.5" length D2 and could barely get the ball in the air. After working with the driver for almost 6 months, I finally gave up and decided to switch out the shaft. I want to give a shot with Royal Dec SR but don't know if it has same stiffness as TJ-46 Noir 6.2 since Crazy rated both shafts for the same swing speed. Do you have any experience with any other Crazy shaft before this set up? Or anyone out there? Thanks :tsg_smiley_crazy:

Ryoma V-spec 10.5

Royal Dec SR flex

46" length

SW D2

For what it's worth, here are the pics from my phone.

I am waiting for a simular setup. I looking at SR flex but at 45.5".

What is your head weiight?

I also think I might be between flexes. So I also would be interested in your observation of the R flex vs the SR flex?

Ryoma V-spec 10.5

Royal Dec SR flex

46" length

SW D2

J, what is your swing speed? I have the same set up with TJ-46 Noir at 6.2 45.5" length D2 and could barely get the ball in the air. After working with the driver for almost 6 months, I finally gave up and decided to switch out the shaft. I want to give a shot with Royal Dec SR but don't know if it has same stiffness as TJ-46 Noir 6.2 since Crazy rated both shafts for the same swing speed. Do you have any experience with any other Crazy shaft before this set up? Or anyone out there? Thanks :tsg_smiley_crazy:

I've been fitted, put on the machine who knows how many times. SS is usually somewhere 90-95. I think the longer length gives me an increase in ss.

I'm surprised you have a tj-46 noir 6.2 and can't get the ball in the air. Let me guess, maybe a low duck hook? I don't know, that was my bad miss when I try to over-swing even with the tj-46 noir 6.2 which I had in a different head. I didn't have a problem getting the ball in the air with that shaft. Just from feel, I think the profile of the 2 shafts are slightly different. Tario told me the RD has a stiffer butt section and that feels about right. Both shafts can feel whippy at that flex and really requires a smooth tempo. It feels whippy when I'm taking a practice swing but doesn't feel whippy when I take a real swing. For that flex, I have to think about tempo alot. So the only thing I can think of is that if you have an aggressive transition or some swing mechanics, it won't work as well. I think others have talked about experimenting and finding the right crazy shaft which if found is rather blissful or otherwise frustrating. For a really good all around shaft, even for avg ss like mine, the quadra is a safe choice. For me, this RD shaft is really making me feel I can tackle those long par 4s.

I am waiting for a simular setup. I looking at SR flex but at 45.5".

What is your head weiight?

I also think I might be between flexes. So I also would be interested in your observation of the R flex vs the SR flex?

That's a good question because I forgot.

Once I get a 2nd RD shaft, I'm planning on putting it in my epon 151 and I will weigh that head beforehand.

I'll try to post at that time.

I know that I was going to build it as long as possible maybe even 47", but the SW was just too high like D5. I thought about back weighing it but that would add total gross wt to the club, and I've not had good success with backweighting in other drivers or any other clubs for that matter.

I think this shaft would be stable even at the max limit length of 48".

I was playing 45" exclusively in the past, but now alot of drivers are made longer. The TM burner is what 46" and Ping K15 is 45.5".

I haven't had much problem going the longer length as long as my tempo is good.

Actually the RoyDeco has a softer butt section which is why there is a huger sensation of kick.

The TJ-46 should launch as high if not higher than the RoyDeco.

Jay, you are definitely an SR as we have discussed.

People can go softer as long as they can control it and have a smoother tempo.

As I had mentioned few years ago, one Japanese magazine had a test where a group of guys who typically use S flex hit drivers installed with ladies flex.

At first they were all over the place but once they got the timing down, they began driving the ball further than their own drivers with stiff flex shafts.

Of course consistency and dispersion can go down but distance can surely go up with a softer shaft.

I'm just finishing my honeymoon with this same setup.

My Vspec is 9.5* loft

SW came out D2 @ 46.5" Has as Iomic sticky on it.

I've never played a Driver over 45" before.

I'm not sure why. probably the length. but the club intimidated me for the first few swings. Never been afraid

of a club before.

Took me about 15-20 balls to get the feel and the timing at the range. After that it has been 4 rounds of Golf.

I'm officially on the band wagon. Between the longer shaft, lighter weight, and royal deco

I'm seeing gains of 10-15 yards. Amazing smooth kick you can feel.

I've also put some bad swings on it that seem to just keep ending up in the fairway.

Ryoma / Royal Decoration What a combo

I'm swinging easier, smoother, and the ball is going farther.

I'm just finishing my honeymoon with this same setup.

My Vspec is 9.5* loft

SW came out D2 @ 46.5" Has as Iomic sticky on it.

I've never played a Driver over 45" before.

I'm not sure why. probably the length. but the club intimidated me for the first few swings. Never been afraid

of a club before.

Took me about 15-20 balls to get the feel and the timing at the range. After that it has been 4 rounds of Golf.

I'm officially on the band wagon. Between the longer shaft, lighter weight, and royal deco

I'm seeing gains of 10-15 yards. Amazing smooth kick you can feel.

I've also put some bad swings on it that seem to just keep ending up in the fairway.

Ryoma / Royal Decoration What a combo

I'm swinging easier, smoother, and the ball is going farther.

Jeff, great minds think alike ;)

J, thanks for great advice! Exactly what happenned to me, duck hook and terrible slide :-( my playing partners told me that I was too agressive which is not my normal swing and quite frustrating especially hearing so many great reviews on the driver combo. I actually played with my friend's Ryoma with R flex stock shaft and have no problem at all just feel a little too soft. Any change in your swing or feel comparing between TJ-46 noir and RD? Since I feel that I have to put alot effort to swing with TJ-46 noir hope not with RD. Tario told me to chage to another brand, Wyvern, but I don't want to give up trying another Crazy yet.

J, thanks for great advice! Exactly what happenned to me, duck hook and terrible slide :-( my playing partners told me that I was too agressive which is not my normal swing and quite frustrating especially hearing so many great reviews on the driver combo. I actually played with my friend's Ryoma with R flex stock shaft and have no problem at all just feel a little too soft. Any change in your swing or feel comparing between TJ-46 noir and RD? Since I feel that I have to put alot effort to swing with TJ-46 noir hope not with RD. Tario told me to chage to another brand, Wyvern, but I don't want to give up trying another Crazy yet.

I had the TJ46 in 6.2 which is regular flex and it did not feel as stable as the RD in SR flex which may be due to the flex itelf. It's likely the longer length forced me to be smoother with the swing to get good impact. When I get handsy (which happens with an aggressive swing), I turn the clubhead over too fast, and that negates all of the benefits of the shaft. The ball goes low and left. (Pulling the ball left is another issue for me.) That said, overall the differences in both shafts are not really night and day, and I think the tj46 has a slightly more glassy/fiberglass (as opposed to a tight rubbery) type of feel which I like. Like I said before, i did not have any problems getting the ball up in the air with the tj46. It's hard to say for sure, but my impression is that if you have difficulty with the Tj46, you could have difficulty with the RD as well.

Finally got to play on a course I am familiar with today. All of the other rounds have been on courses I didn't know or

know very well.

Everything is landing in the fairway.

I am simply hitting this combo longer and more consistently than anything I've tried.

I find myself (after an initial 15-20 balls) having know problem with the length..... I kinda like it....

ok..., do u think its more of the shaft being light nad gettiting higher SS or just a greta combo.

i have a crazy super longest yard , super hard shaft thats 58 grams. that i havnt put in a head yet , ive been ponderign what to put this in, i gottt try it this wekeend.

i thought the ryoma first of all.

I think it's the combo..... lighter shaft.... shaft

I choked down a couple of times to see if it made much diff... not really. but hitting the full 46.5" with a good full swing

is a mid. penetrating ball flight with the ball landing in the fairway. There is no way you will balloon the ball with this combo.

Sound is a nice solid thud. Very muted

I've got the same setup 9.5 Ryoma V-Spec + Blue Royal Deco Stiff flex shaft.

It took me about 9 holes to get into it's groove. A couple of things were tricking my mind.

The first was that because it kicks vibrantly I automatically assumed it was a bit to soft for me.

Because I wasn't squaring the club head up at impact leaving it right I also thought it was soft.

After making a few adjustments the shaft began to do it's magic. Very nice feel to it and dare I say perhaps the best distance of any shaft I have ever had.

Playing a course I am very familiar with I was landing the ball further than before and that's with the same Ryoma head and some of Japan's best shafts.

I'm killing this combo.

I have never been so consistently long and straight

i shafted my d1 9.5 with a 58 gram superlongest yard super hard shaft .

played it at 44.75 inch yesterday.

totally differernt feel ,performance.

the light super stiff shaft gives this head a very very lievly ping.

was hittting it LOW and long, lots and lots of run, not really very moveable but i did get that small push or pull.

cant say it was a slice or a draw just went a tiny bit left or right when i didnt get it right.

need to play this a bit more bec im not sure if its the right specs for me.

318 gram overall. ilike the idea of it but i think i need slightyl heavier

think it will bea good combo , the extra stiffness and light shaft kinda negated one another.

didnt feel like a steel rod. was a nice lively low feeling.

very low spin id think as the ball found it hard to get airborn.

they suit eachother these two, thyemight live to fight another day in my ever ®evoloving driver fiasco.

i will also say now that the maruaman conductor 10.5 * super deep straight shot head i shafed withe the diamana stinger 70x and palyed 2 drivers, this being the control driver instead of the kasco or 3 wood wont be getting pulled.

these two were a good foil for each other, the maruman was high all carry and while not overly long, was incredibly straight!

really liked that

• 1 month later...

I blame this post for my urge to reshaft my already working Ryoma and CB46 hhahaha.. Any excuse!

Pulled the trigger on a white Royal Deco. Hopefully in next week!

Anyone want my CB46 7.2 ? :)

i shafted my d1 9.5 with a 58 gram superlongest yard super hard shaft .

played it at 44.75 inch yesterday.

totally differernt feel ,performance.

the light super stiff shaft gives this head a very very lievly ping.

was hittting it LOW and long, lots and lots of run, not really very moveable but i did get that small push or pull.

cant say it was a slice or a draw just went a tiny bit left or right when i didnt get it right.

need to play this a bit more bec im not sure if its the right specs for me.

318 gram overall. ilike the idea of it but i think i need slightyl heavier

think it will bea good combo , the extra stiffness and light shaft kinda negated one another.

didnt feel like a steel rod. was a nice lively low feeling.

very low spin id think as the ball found it hard to get airborn.

they suit eachother these two, thyemight live to fight another day in my ever ®evoloving driver fiasco.

i will also say now that the maruaman conductor 10.5 * super deep straight shot head i shafed withe the diamana stinger 70x and palyed 2 drivers, this being the control driver instead of the kasco or 3 wood wont be getting pulled.

these two were a good foil for each other, the maruman was high all carry and while not overly long, was incredibly straight!

really liked that

Whats the CPM on the super longest yard Hard flex? I also feel that if the shaft is light enough the stiffness feels much less pronounced. I have the old LY-02 in Xstiff and the cpm is 279, so pretty stiff. But it doesnt feel tht stiff during the swing, I guess because it's only 57 grams.

I blame this post for my urge to reshaft my already working Ryoma and CB46 hhahaha.. Any excuse!

Pulled the trigger on a white Royal Deco. Hopefully in next week!

Anyone want my CB46 7.2 ? :)

Nice buy E! What flex did you end up with?

If yours was a softer flex, I'd probably give it a go jsut to see what the Crazy hype is about.

My game swing is 100mph & I swear this goes better than when I step on it at 105mph.

But u need 100mph I believe.

Nice buy E! What flex did you end up with?

Stock Stiff, it's bordering XS accdg to T, I'll the softer side. U get to try maybe next week :) I think u can use S in this

What??? White??? They weren't making white 2 months ago... dang that's what I ordered but I couldn't

and of course I couldn't wait.....

Played a course called Paiute Sunday. Wind blew like just about always.,,,

This was the best combo, by far I've played in windy conditions. Not saying the wind didn't move the ball

but it was finding the fairway better than anyone else. Fly's below the radar and then runs.