388 users what reshaft has worked for you?

bruinduke

I recently picked up a 388 head. It's on the lighter side at 196ish grams and only gets to about C6 in a 65 kiyoshi just short of 45 inches.

Has anyone had any luck reshafting a 388? If so, what shaft and length has maximized carry and roll? I usually prefer a 44.5 inch driver, but at this head weight I would have to add some lead tape to get to D2+.

i reshafted my 9.5 with a crazy ly 7.2 and lost about 10 yards overall. i have since replaced that with the stock shaft which works extremely well for me.

I've gamed a 388 9.5* w/ Graphite Design GT 6 Stiff for the past 3 months.

Plays at 45.25" ....Nice mid launch for me with draw flight and good rollout

The stock shaft worked very well for me in the 388. . I did add 4 grams of weight using tungsten weight pads in the back center of the head.. I don't think I could get any more out of this club. I did reshaft the XV with the Crazy Boron. That was a big improvement over the stock shaft..

Thought the stock shaft was good until I put a Crazy Royal Dec in. I have never had a shaft change make as big

a difference as this did. I'm just going to say it is longer now. If I said how much longer people would think I'm on

drugs.

played the original in it for about 6 shots.

while it was adequate . it was to whippy for me

swapped it out for a diamana stinger boron in 70s. this went high and very long. played it in hawaii for a decent time and it more than held its own against some very big guns. only thing id think is it prob went a little BIT too high for those conditions every day.

downwind tho, oh baby its nice !!

shafted the other one with a diamanaX. lighter head same as urs 196 gram.

this set up has been really good. lowered the trajectory and gained more roll. maybe tigher over all .

as long as i dont try and wallop it it gets very good distance, but it not an ideal set up for me, as its too light.

played this enough to know its nuances.

calm days its as good as anything. as its just so straight..!

but the lighter head works against me.

thats just me tho.

the better suited shaft is prob the stinger for me.

. the boron makes this come alive, and its def longer.

the crazy boron might be a very good idea.

the stinger def is. simlar stuff.

the diamana X is for control.

Thought the stock shaft was good until I put a Crazy Royal Dec in. I have never had a shaft change make as big

a difference as this did. I'm just going to say it is longer now. If I said how much longer people would think I'm on

drugs.

Which royal deco?

Some great advice here. Sounds like its going to get expensive.

Does anyone know the hosel depth? And anyone having luck playing the head at less than 45 inches?

Im playing it at 44.5 while its manageable not exceptionally good comparing to 435 or ryoma. the hosel is 0.5 inch deeper had an ad z9003 70s in her, full insertion proved to be too stout.

Which royal deco?

The original http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=3339

I believe the new Royal Dec Type A would be the newer model that would work best for you and I. You may want to

double check with T.

I'm playing this at 46" to help with the SW. I do choke it down a good solid inch however. What's interesting, I just put

the RD shaft in and never have checked the SW.

I had my built by S-Yard with the GD Z9003 Type 6 in stiff.

Its perfect. I believe its 45.25" which is an inch less than what I had typically played before. I can't tell you what the hosel depth was, maybe Tario remembers as he had them build it for me, but I love this club. Best driver for me out there.

I will say that I believe the Z9003 shaft to be very stout. I recently had a Romaro 3 wood built with a Type7 in stiff. Its definitely heavier than my other 3 wood combo which is a RC VS with a P9003x. It also feels stiffer than the P9003x as well.

I have found the 388 to play a shaft looser than stated flex. I play it at 44.5" and needed to go heavier, for SW purposes, and stiffer to get it to work right for me. Am currently playing it with a QFE 75X and liking it quite a bit more now.

The Royal Deco's are a tuff call. I've had some of my longest ever with it but also the most wildly high weird shots.

We tend to move people away from the RD now as it fits a very narrow range of player.

For me personally in 388 I use the crazy boron. love that shaft it's my go to. I think it fits a more aggressive tempo.

Interesting comment on the Royal Deco. It works great for me at 46 inches. Easiest shaft I have used, but I am smooth vs aggressive tempo. i could see an aggressive tempo having control issues.

The Royal Deco's are a tuff call.  I've had some of my longest ever with it but also the most wildly high weird shots.  

We tend to move people away from the RD now as it fits a very narrow range of player.  

For me personally in 388 I use the crazy boron.  love that shaft it's my go to.  I think it fits a more aggressive tempo.

you have me wondering if that might fit me. neither the TJ 46 noir and LY fit me as i think they were just too light. i was hitting moonballs with those shafts. but i dunno...crazy has me confused right now.

you have me wondering if that might fit me. neither the TJ 46 noir and LY fit me as i think they were just too light. i was hitting moonballs with those shafts. but i dunno...crazy has me confused right now.

Ya don't go with the RD if you haven't done well with lighter shafts. You can drop myself or T a PM talk about your tempo, ss, good and bad, what you use now and what you do or don't like about it, etc..

J- you keep intriguing me on that Royal Deco shaft... <g> Think I have to talk to Tario about one...

Question though: I have both of the stock shafts in S and S/R in my two t388's, and I find myself preferring the S/R most days. How does the flex on the Royal Deco compare with the flex on the stock t388 shafts?

Thanks.

I have had the original RD shaft and the RD 519 proto in at least 4-5 different drivers. Hitting it high has never been a problem.

R - if the T.388 SR stock shaft works best the SR RD would be perfect.

Just my opinion, there is no doubt we have some high SS players here. I believe they are the exception to the mainstream

JDM player. Smoother, easier transitions and avg. SS speeds (95-100) are much more the norm.

We all want to hit it like Adam Scott.... 999 out of a 1000 of us could NEVER play the shaft he does in his driver.....

Thanks, J, i'm definitely in the smooth swing category, right on either side of 100, I like a light shaft, and as we've talked about, I think we like similar feel. The only time I tried a Crazy was in the Ryoma, it was the Noir TJ46 in 6.7, and I didn't care for it, it was a hook machine for me. But since I know you also liked the stock t388 shaft, I'm thinking the Royal Dec should be worth a try. Thanks again.

Hi Richard, after seeing your comments above, if the TJ46 6.7 was a hook machine for you, the RoyDeco SR will probably not work.

As I had suggested to you with your distances being 260-270, S is a bare minimum for the RoyDeco but SX more likely.

The ultra light shaft experience is not for everyone especially those who hook.

You would be better off with the LY01 Nero in 6.9.

Could the left leaning Ryoma also have contributed to the hooking issues?

I guess. I do have a natural draw, but I don't normally hook. Found the same thing happened with the F3 fwy wd with a Crazy in it (think it was the FW80...). Anyway, it's one of those things about shafts that makes me wish it was easier to demo them. May have to come over there some day like Craig and have my own Crazy adventure... ;=]

The F3 is a Ryoma as well. If memory serves, the head weight distribution of Ryoma encourages the hook for some swing types.