Mizuno teams with Bettinardi for new putter line!

TourSpecGolfer

Mizuno announced a partnership deal with Bettinardi putter co for a new line. There are supposed to be 2 aluminum and 4 carbon steel putters in the line up. Now both Hogan and Mizuno sport the Bettinardi badge. There is already a stink in Japan within crews golf, they have over 1 million dollars in inventory which equals to about 2 million street value of Bettinardi Japan putters that retail around 550.00 USD the probs began when the hogan line was released with a retail price around 200.00 USD some of the models were the exact same design as the crews hurting their sales badly. Now with the Mizuno line there will be 3 lines of Bettinardi stamped putters in Japan. Not a good situation at all. Im personally not so thrilled with the design and stamping on these putters.

mizuno06demoday9.jpgmizuno06demoday10.jpg

mizuno06demoday11.jpgmizuno06demoday12.jpg

mizuno06demoday14.jpgmizuno06demoday15.jpg

However, I'd gladly play a Betti putter with a Mizuno name on it than Hogan. Mizuno has always had great guys working on their putters...Cameron, TP Mills, and now Bettinardi. I may have to look into this further down the line. His Hogan line kind of tainted his image a bit and dropped the "overpriced slightly out of reach" individual line into simple stock comptition, which I don't believe was the best move on his part. Lending your name to a company that hasnt made putters in decades isn't the brightest move if your trying to get your name on the map I suppose, but Mizuno might be a refreshing start for him...but give me a nice Betti with no OEM on it anyday.

don't understand this.... Its the second time in a very short space of time that Bettinardi has got into bed with another manufacturer that isn't really going to do his reputation much good. From where I stand Hogan is a non entity brand and Mizuno is known for its irons. Why is Bettinardi so keen to pair up with someone else?

With all due respect I don't think I'd call Hogan a non-entity brand. There's a lot of history attached to that name and a great deal of craftsmanship. Now with Callaway ownership it's time to wait and see but the new Apex blade is a good looking club. As for the putters, I could never get used to the appearance of the Betti Hogan's and was surprised at the price point those came in at. Especially considering his non OEM price point. If I were involved with Crews I would, like Chris mentioned, be beyond angry at this new venture with Mizuno. I only hope the results look better than the 2 products pictured as those do nothing for me at all. I will say that the pics on Gary Mayes' site of the blue Bettinardi grips leaning up against the Mizuno bag make me want one just for one of those, very very attractive.

Why would Bettinardi go with an OEM..hummmmm I wonder.......perhaps it might be related in a minor way to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Just a thought and I'm sure it could be some kind of artistic, altruistic motive know only to Bob and someone other than his accountant.

I for one am anxiously awaiting the results of this combination of great golf equipment makers whose products I admire a great deal.

With all due respect I don't think I'd call Hogan a non-entity brand. There's a lot of history attached to that name and a great deal of craftsmanship. Now with Callaway ownership it's time to wait and see but the new Apex blade is a good looking club. As for the putters, I could never get used to the appearance of the Betti Hogan's and was surprised at the price point those came in at. Especially considering his non OEM price point. If I were involved with Crews I would, like Chris mentioned, be beyond angry at this new venture with Mizuno. I only hope the results look better than the 2 products pictured as those do nothing for me at all. I will say that the pics on Gary Mayes' site of the blue Bettinardi grips leaning up against the Mizuno bag make me want one just for one of those, very very attractive.

Why would Bettinardi go with an OEM..hummmmm I wonder.......perhaps it might be related in a minor way to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Just a thought and I'm sure it could be some kind of artistic, altruistic motive know only to Bob and someone other than his accountant.

I for one am anxiously awaiting the results of this combination of great golf equipment makers whose products I admire a great deal.

I think if you read my post again, you'll see the words, from where I stand. this could also be shown as IMO or IMHO. In the UK Hogan is virtually non-existent as a brand. I recognise that there is a lot of history in this brand, however, in this day and age, I think (can be proved wrong) that not too many people play Hogan putters. I would guess that the history/heritage of the brand lies in their irons rather than their putters.

The RJB/Mizuno deal looks good. I am not sure if Miz will distribute putters in Japan. Any word on that Chris? I agree that the Hogan retail offerings did not go well. He was not publicized well and they forced him into a $100 price point putter. As for Japan distribution, I thought that is being left to Crews and was one of the main reasons he went with Miz over Bridgestone. Also, there are a few Miz staffers that know RJB from their Northwestern days.

BM,

Feed the word up to upper management that these are some of the ugliest "premium" putters in recent memory... :tsg_smiley_no:

Concur! I bought 3 Betties directly from the studio one week prior to the announcement of joining Hogan and they are much nicer in look and feel than the Hogan lines. Hopefully this marriage is better than the last! :tsg_smilie_whistle:

BM,

Feed the word up to upper management that these are some of the ugliest "premium" putters in recent memory... :tsg_smiley_no:

Done. Like they listen to me anyway! LOL! I hope they end up looking better also. This is why I stick with my old T.P. Mills! Always does the job.

Concur! I bought 3 Betties directly from the studio one week prior to the announcement of joining Hogan and they are much nicer in look and feel than the Hogan lines. Hopefully this marriage is better than the last! :tsg_smilie_whistle:

I've been told that's it sweet. I won't see the puters until next week. I'll give you guys a heads up when I get them.

My view is this is a simple branding exercise.

RJB obviously has a great perception out there in the golfing community. The fact that a number of manufacturers are prepared to jump into bed with him speaks volumes.

No doubt Bob is looking for scale, through these associations. Cameron has had his association with Titleist from day one.

I like all others will be interested to see how the association with Mizuno progresses.

Love Mizuno. Love Bettinardi. That said, my "non branded" BB2 will be staying in the bag.....at this stage!!

My view is this is a simple branding exercise.

RJB obviously has a great perception out there in the golfing community. The fact that a number of manufacturers are prepared to jump into bed with him speaks volumes.

No doubt Bob is looking for scale, through these associations. Cameron has had his association with Titleist from day one.

I like all others will be interested to see how the association with Mizuno progresses.

Love Mizuno. Love Bettinardi. That said, my "non branded" BB2 will be staying in the bag.....at this stage!!

Phillip. Mizuno, not Titleist is his first gig. I agree with everything else. :tsg_smiley_japanese:

The RJB/Mizuno deal looks good. I am not sure if Miz will distribute putters in Japan. Any word on that Chris? I agree that the Hogan retail offerings did not go well. He was not publicized well and they forced him into a $100 price point putter. As for Japan distribution, I thought that is being left to Crews and was one of the main reasons he went with Miz over Bridgestone. Also, there are a few Miz staffers that know RJB from their Northwestern days.

Bettinardi is done making putters for Hogan. They are still on the Hogan site and you will see them in shops as they are still for sale, but when they are all sold, that's it as they are no longer made. Crews is doing well in Japan and the Bettinardi Mizuno is staying in the USA which won't hurt Crews. That's all the info I have for now.

Bettinardi is done making putters for Hogan. They are still on the Hogan site and you will see them in shops as they are still for sale, but when they are all sold, that's it as they are no longer made. Crews is doing well in Japan and the Bettinardi Mizuno is staying in the USA which won't hurt Crews. That's all the info I have for now.

Thanks for the info Todd,

Its good to hear that mizzy will keep the Q line in Japan and let Crews do the deals with Bettinardi.

Do you know anything about who does the designs in Japan for Crews Bettinardi and will the U.S ever see anything similar to the Crews MC-3 with its black finish and gold face? IMO the best looking putter BB has ever made.

Thanks for the info Todd,

Its good to hear that mizzy will keep the Q line in Japan and let Crews do the deals with Bettinardi.

Do you know anything about who does the designs in Japan for Crews Bettinardi and will the U.S ever see anything similar to the Crews MC-3 with its black finish and gold face? IMO the best looking putter BB has ever made.

Chris, Bobby does all the designs for everything. Guys from Crews and Mizuno will give ideas, but Bobby is the main man. Bettinardi likes to make the Japan line different from the US line. The MC3 is a soft carbon BB1 w/ copper insert. It is one awesome putter and the tour only ones I have are sweet.

I concur with everyone that these aren't as good looking as his other models. I'm much more impressed with the work that TP Mills has done in recent months. His display at the PGA Show was awesome!

Mizuno announced a partnership deal with Bettinardi putter co for a new line. There are supposed to be 2 aluminum and 4 carbon steel putters in the line up. Now both Hogan and Mizuno sport the Bettinardi badge. There is already a stink in Japan within crews golf, they have over 1 million dollars in inventory which equals to about 2 million street value of Bettinardi Japan putters that retail around 550.00 USD the probs began when the hogan line was released with a retail price around 200.00 USD some of the models were the exact same design as the crews hurting their sales badly. Now with the Mizuno line there will be 3 lines of Bettinardi stamped putters in Japan. Not a good situation at all. Im personally not so thrilled with the design and stamping on these putters.

mizuno06demoday9.jpgmizuno06demoday10.jpg

mizuno06demoday11.jpgmizuno06demoday12.jpg

mizuno06demoday14.jpgmizuno06demoday15.jpg

This is a neat story that is short, but sweet: Bettinardi started to make putters for Crews starting in 1998. So they started fresh in 1998 with nothing and now do $25 million of Bettinardi sales a year and every year doubles. Bettinardi is huge in Japan. So overall, Crews is very happy with Bettinardi and they keep going very strong.

This is a neat story that is short, but sweet: Bettinardi started to make putters for Crews starting in 1998. So they started fresh in 1998 with nothing and now do $25 million of Bettinardi sales a year and every year doubles. Bettinardi is huge in Japan. So overall, Crews is very happy with Bettinardi and they keep going very strong.

No offence but thats not what i'm hearing from distributors and industry folk in Japan. i'm hearing they have been sitting on 1-2 million dollars of inventory for quite some time and there was disappointment when BB signed with hogan, i'm sure you can see why many of the same models for 300 bucks less retail is not good for crews when trying to sell a premium putter. I find it very hard to believe that they double sales every year and think the story you were told is quite exaggerated to be honest.

MC3big.jpg