Itobori irons - Half Cavity

Just bought these irons. Absolute beauty. Feel is great.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by bogeylondon

How about that guys?  Itobori has been putting out some cool stuff lately shall we bring them aboard?

Mayuki Takai has some major skills,  his nickname is wedgeman in Japan.

They look sick!

damnnnnn! yes bring em in!

Edited by zzoggie

That's some interesting design. How does that sole impact performance and feel?

TSG has successfully negotiated the option to leave the sole free of the Itobori grind so the customer can choose as much or little of that as they want.  

Stay tuned.

These are indeed very interesting and should prove a welcome addition to the TSG shop.  Like to read more reviews from anyone who has tried them. 

and I echo previous post asking how does that unique sole grind affect the performance ?

These irons won't require head covers to protect from bag chatter.   :) 

I've seen these a couple of times, very artsy/handcrafted look. I always thought the knobbly look was a bit gimmicky..If the grinder is top notch though, well yes, sure

2 hours ago, dickyfowler said:

and I echo previous post asking how does that unique sole grind affect the performance ?

I think it's obvious that the Itobori style grind adds many inconsistencies for turf impact, how much this will impact your game we cant say but many brands do advertise a smooth non friction sole contrary to this.

But Itobori also has Tsuchime and Arakenma series which dont have that grind.

Also I will post pics of Itobori's with a smooth bottom sole yet still have the "jagged" style on the trail, heel, and toe grind.

2 months ago I spent a couple of days and nights with Mayuki Takai at his super cool workshop in Nagoya figuring out how we can address this concern and the conclusion was to give the customer the option of what they want on the sole.  I will go over these options shortly.

The ones in the photos on this thread would definitely sell to The Thing (Fantastic Four).

Funny, I posted a picture of these a few months ago, and the general conclusion was that the grind wouldn't really help turf interaction.  I am curious how we know that the irons are a quality forged irons.  Chris, can you share your knowledge of their forging process when you post pictures of their smooth sole irons?

34 minutes ago, d**kyfowler said:

The ones in the photos on this thread would definitely sell to The Thing (Fantastic Four).

Its clobbering time!

just found this on youtube   

8 minutes ago, Mob said:

Funny, I posted a picture of these a few months ago, and the general conclusion was that the grind wouldn't really help turf interaction.  I am curious how we know that the irons are a quality forged irons.  Chris, can you share your knowledge of their forging process when you post pictures of their smooth sole irons?

I remember that. I'm also pretty sure Itobori uses generic blanks/open models for their club heads, so they don't have a specific forging process

These are Kyoei Open Model forgings which are the best you can get in Himeji.  Kyoei, Miura and Endo are the only factories that have the precision forging press in Japan,  That is the final press where they re-heat the head and do one last stamp.  Miura and Endo both learned this from Kyoei and actually Kyoei's heats it hotter than Endo's.  FYI Miura is not a foundry and purchase their base forgings from elsewhere,  not a knock against them at all,  I love MG.

Which leads me to a whopper...  No one has noticed that Miura now uses different base forgings than they did just a few years ago.  I don't even think Miura Global was aware of this.

5 hours ago, d**kyfowler said:

just found this on youtube   

awesome video. he just shaved close to 20grams based on feel. and was off by only 1 gram. i would have stopped at least 10 times to check weight lol

I LOVE this look! And the option to control where and how much of it is employed. Have to say, I enjoyed that video immensely. Free-form artistry in a grinder's hands! I look forward to seeing these and hearing how the grind performs as well. 

Also, Chris, thanks for the note about Miura:  "... Miura now uses different base forgings than they did just a few years ago..."   I believe this confirms what my hands have told me about recent offerings...