Best Place to get fitted in Tokyo?

NewTokyo

Can Anyone recommend a place in Tokyo? I don't mind paying a fee. Apparently, If I know what I want, TSG will ship things in Tokyo as well.

I am specifically looking for a Driver, a 3 or 5 FW and a a hybrid or 2. I play mizuno Irons and wedges, but my longer clubs are crap.

I'm thinking Gfield. It may be irrational, but I'd like to keep the FW and the hybrid by the same maker. The driver can be anything.

Thanks,

Can Anyone recommend a place in Tokyo? I don't mind paying a fee. Apparently, If I know what I want, TSG will ship things in Tokyo as well.

I am specifically looking for a Driver, a 3 or 5 FW and a a hybrid or 2. I play mizuno Irons and wedges, but my longer clubs are crap.

I'm thinking Gfield. It may be irrational, but I'd like to keep the FW and the hybrid by the same maker. The driver can be anything.

Thanks,

Are you going to live in Tokyo or just a short visit? While all department stores do carry golf clubs, they do not do any fitting. For a fact, I know Victoria does but you probably need to make an appointment. If you are looking for Epon or Gfield stuff, you really have to look hard as they are basically only carried by small specialty stores/club makers. If you dont know Tokyo, these workshops are not that easy to find and they are not in Ginza or Shinjuku either or more popular tourist areas. Keiyo-Golf is a fairly large club maker/fitter with tons of different shafts for demo. Niki Golf and Alpen are two of the better known chain.

I am sure Chris can tell you more and in better detail.

I'm also going to be in Tokyo for the whole of next week. While my wife drags me around the boutiques for most of our time there, I want to reserve one afternoon to check out golf stores. Have been there before but can't exactly remember where I went except for Nikigolf. Any recommendations? I'd really like to shop for Paradiso clothes, cool accessories and maybe balls. Although I don't think I'll buy any clubs, I'd still like to check them out.

I'm also going to be in Tokyo for the whole of next week. While my wife drags me around the boutiques for most of our time there, I want to reserve one afternoon to check out golf stores. Have been there before but can't exactly remember where I went except for Nikigolf. Any recommendations? I'd really like to shop for Paradiso clothes, cool accessories and maybe balls. Although I don't think I'll buy any clubs, I'd still like to check them out.

While most department stores carry golf clothes, Victoria Golf have a whole floor for Tourstage and Paradiso. You can check out their site for different store locations in the city. There is no deal for golf balls but do have some strange ones. Clubs are actually more expensive in Japan as compare to the same clubs in Hong Kong. There are bargain/discount places but difficult to find.

Are you going to live in Tokyo or just a short visit?

I've lived here for 4 years, and have recently rediscovered my golf game. I know Tokyo pretty darn well and can even read lots (but not all) Kanji.

Keiyo-Golf is a fairly large club maker/fitter with tons of different shafts for demo. Niki Golf and Alpen are two of the better known chain.

I am sure Chris can tell you more and in better detail.

Keiyo is in Adachi-ku right? I think this is very close to my girlfriends house. I haven't heard about Niki and Alpen. Do you know a web-site for them?

Thanks,

While most department stores carry golf clothes, Victoria Golf have a whole floor for Tourstage and Paradiso. You can check out their site for different store locations in the city. There is no deal for golf balls but do have some strange ones. Clubs are actually more expensive in Japan as compare to the same clubs in Hong Kong. There are bargain/discount places but difficult to find.

Yeah I know clubs are cheaper in HK which is why I'm only looking for apparel and accessories which I wouldn't be able to find here. Thanks.

Yeah I know clubs are cheaper in HK which is why I'm only looking for apparel and accessories which I wouldn't be able to find here. Thanks.

Actually PRGR makses the best clothes and they are expensive in HK.

You should pick up some while in Tokyo before the golfing season (sales) in Japan. I have golf shirts from them that are 6 years old and they still look new.

Actually PRGR makses the best clothes and they are expensive in HK.

You should pick up some while in Tokyo before the golfing season (sales) in Japan. I have golf shirts from them that are 6 years old and they still look new.

I believe you but I just like the Paradiso brand. The best shirts I ever owned were actually the original Bobby Jones shirts from the early 90s with the golfer on the placket. I kept those shirts until probably last year and could have worn them no problem. Their quality was first rate. Nowadays they're twice the price and half the quality...

Where can I get Mizuno iron covers and accessories like that?

I believe you but I just like the Paradiso brand. The best shirts I ever owned were actually the original Bobby Jones shirts from the early 90s with the golfer on the placket. I kept those shirts until probably last year and could have worn them no problem. Their quality was first rate. Nowadays they're twice the price and half the quality...

Where can I get Mizuno iron covers and accessories like that?

I have never use iron covers except during travel hence never look for them. I suspect Mizuno would have their own stores in Tokyo as Honma. Victoria carries tons of accessories but just never pay attention to them.

I have never use iron covers except during travel hence never look for them. I suspect Mizuno would have their own stores in Tokyo as Honma. Victoria carries tons of accessories but just never pay attention to them.

Is Victoria in the same area as Nikigolf etc? I went there 5 years ago but can't remember the name of the area - lots of golf stores.

As far as clothing in Japan goes, its not notch, some of the shirts are limited edition and made in Japan too.

Tourstage, Taylormade Japan, Adidas, PRGR, Mizuno, Beres, and Callaway all have ultra expensive lines.

As far as shopping for this stuff its best to write down the product number of the item you want and let me know as in most cases i can get it cheaper if the size is still available.

As far as clothing in Japan goes, its not notch, some of the shirts are limited edition and made in Japan too.

Tourstage, Taylormade Japan, Adidas, PRGR, Mizuno, Beres, and Callaway all have ultra expensive lines.

As far as shopping for this stuff its best to write down the product number of the item you want and let me know as in most cases i can get it cheaper if the size is still available.

Thanks Chris. I shall do that.

I'm in Tokyo right now, leaving in the morning. Went by the Honma store near Tokyo Station next to Ginza area. The entire line is there and was nice to experience in person to get an idea of the clubheads. I walked away very impressed with the look of the Beres line.... 800 series and 900 series are gorgeous though i didnot hit anything.

I also was at Victoria golf in both Ginza (narrow 5 or 6 stories) and in the store near Omatasando. LOTS of clothing, bags, shafts, clubs... They have an INSANE CASE of Mizuno clubs showing all the finishes and options. Wish i took a photo. There was a matte black iron finish option that basically made the club look like a stealth bomber..... not sure how it would hold up. Victoria Golf is high end and a good place to look for fun....

QUESTION; What is up with all the 38" putters here? Are the belly putters or "extended short putters" that are not supposed to be anchored.

Seth

Cleveland Comp -

Nike irons CCI / MacGregor Irons 675

Nike/ TM wedges

Nike t130 extended to 43

If you stay in Shinkuju, Tokyo, Victoria Golf is the place to go. It is across the street of Takashimaya (hugh department store) at Shinkuju JR station south exit. http://www.tagzania.com/item/31675. It is tax free when showing passport in Victoria Golf. Another place I suggested is www.golf-second.com which very close to Century Hyatt and Keio Plaza Hotel. Map can be found in the website. Lots of PRGR stuff. I find new PRGR TR wedge (in black) is less than 8000yen.

OK, for the Paradiso/Tourstage clothing, you should go to Okachimachi (御徒町, another JR station) which is between Akihabara and Ueno. There are several shops on the west side of the station (or rail bridge). The one named ''KG'' has 2 multi-floor shops, one at north exit and one at south exit of Okachimachi station. My GaugeDesign cap is from KG. Even the small shops, they have an upper floor for clothing. Tourstage, Paradiso, Srixon, XXIO... all the major japanese brands can be found there. It is easy to spend 4 to 5 hours in Okachimachi. You can ask for discount in these Okachimachi shops.

If you stay in Shinkuju, Tokyo, Victoria Golf is the place to go. It is across the street of Takashimaya (hugh department store) at Shinkuju JR station south exit. http://www.tagzania.com/item/31675. It is tax free when showing passport in Victoria Golf. Another place I suggested is www.golf-second.com which very close to Century Hyatt and Keio Plaza Hotel. Map can be found in the website. Lots of PRGR stuff. I find new PRGR TR wedge (in black) is less than 8000yen.

OK, for the Paradiso/Tourstage clothing, you should go to Okachimachi (御徒町, another JR station) which is between Akihabara and Ueno. There are several shops on the west side of the station (or rail bridge). The one named ''KG'' has 2 multi-floor shops, one at north exit and one at south exit of Okachimachi station. My GaugeDesign cap is from KG. Even the small shops, they have an upper floor for clothing. Tourstage, Paradiso, Srixon, XXIO... all the major japanese brands can be found there. It is easy to spend 4 to 5 hours in Okachimachi. You can ask for discount in these Okachimachi shops.

Wow, thanks for all the info! Do you mean I can get fitted at Victoria Golf? In any case, I can at least kill one full day and not have to pound the boutiques for 3 straight days... :atsg_smilie_roll:

Li, I guess you are in Japan now.

Yes, you can have fitting in Victoria Golf.

One full day...just for the irons only, right? I think you can spend half of a day for golf bag only. I am sure after the first day visit, you would check how many more your luggage can carry and plan to re-visit on the second day.

Regarding the Mizuno shop, I thought it was in Shibuya. My friend says in Harajuku. I don't know. I had been the shop front door. When I looked from the outside, G/F is soccer stuffs, then tennis, baseball, swimming stuffs... I don't know japanese. I just looked at the displays and posters. I did not find any golf related to catch my attention.

Have a good trip!

Li, I guess you are in Japan now.

Yes, you can have fitting in Victoria Golf.

One full day...just for the irons only, right? I think you can spend half of a day for golf bag only. I am sure after the first day visit, you would check how many more your luggage can carry and plan to re-visit on the second day.

Regarding the Mizuno shop, I thought it was in Shibuya. My friend says in Harajuku. I don't know. I had been the shop front door. When I looked from the outside, G/F is soccer stuffs, then tennis, baseball, swimming stuffs... I don't know japanese. I just looked at the displays and posters. I did not find any golf related to catch my attention.

Have a good trip!

Yes just arrived. Will just do Victoria Golf and see how it goes. Thanks for the info :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Skip the Fitting at Victoria Golf, its a waste of time. VG is just a great store to see all the products you hear so much about here.

• 1 year later...

Chris, can u provide us with more info on the free fitting session over at Fujikura in Tokyo??

What heads do they fit you with???

Am i able to bring a Driver head and have them install it for a fee after the shaft fitting..

And most importantly, how can I get there??

Many many thankx in advance.

Chris, can u provide us with more info on the free fitting session over at Fujikura in Tokyo??

What heads do they fit you with???

Am i able to bring a Driver head and have them install it for a fee after the shaft fitting..

And most importantly, how can I get there??

Many many thankx in advance.

The heads are a no name component brand, i forget what its called. I have been fitted twice at Fujikura about 3 years ago, I do not remember the location in Tokyo but i'm sure fujikura can help you with it if you contact them.

It was 1 hour, they have you hit a ton of shafts. They give you a Video of your swing but keep in mind you are hitting into a net.

I really enjoy fitting myself the most, Fuji on the first visit set me up for the 757 X-Stiff, the second fitting only several weeks later they put me together with the 659 in R flex. Kinda weird if you ask me.

I suggest to all golfers to purchase contact tape for the face and lie, also a plastic lie board. Understand and take your time learning your true loft/lie/length/grip size/ and swing weight. Keep in mind specs can be different with various shafts and club types based on the result of the shot.

After you master that move on and find access to a vector, velocity, or trackman. It doesnt matter which one really they all do the same thing just some more accurate.

Make sure you have at least 6 measurements done on your clubs, if you read the data correctly you can better understand why perhaps a single club goes further or you have a hard time hitting a particular iron. Usually and even with PGA or LPGA players some of their clubs are out of whack straight from the tour van.

Have a distance gap analysis done with EVERY club in the bag if possible. adjust the clubs above and below the gap to close it up. I notice a lot of players have a big gap between the AW and PW and long iron to fairway wood. This takes a long time and you must hit a ton of balls. For the scratch type player it should be no more than an hour but we have had 26+ hcp people fail to complete the process because they need to hit to many balls in order to get reliable data, We usually only need 5-6 perfect struck shots in each club, we find for high handicappers every 1 out of 15 shots give us what we need.

Shaft fitting analysis is also very important, by hitting a variety of shafts from all major brands in many flexes you begin to understand why and what shafts give you the best distance and dispersion. you can honestly gain 20 yards by selecting the right iron shaft for your swing. With distance your dispersion usually gets a bit more erratic but find the optimal and fine line that makes you happy.

A quality fitting takes about 3-4 hours depending on the customers skill level and their ability to hit clean shots providing good data.

This is just my opinion, Most customers games greatly improve after something like this.

It is also an educational process where the customer learns a great deal about why, how and what they should do for self analysis during practice or a round of golf.

• 2 years later...

Thanks Chris. I shall do that.

How about getting fitted for equipment in Tokyo ? Any suggestions ? A place where you can hit clubs and get computer feedback as to which best suits ?

Edited by birdieshardtocomeby

• 2 years later...

Necro-posting in the old thread.

Can anyone confirm if Victoria Golf in Shinjuku carries Epon accessories (ie hats, ball markers, iron covers, etc)?