So... lets discuss the current state of affairs regarding drivers/irons

Mjr. D

It's been a while but it's starting to salivate again.

I haven't been following things as closely as in the past so I'd love to hear member's thoughts on the current best drivers and irons.

Drivers:

So what's currently sitting atop the pile? Modart? the Maxima, still? TPRX? The new Honma drivers? Kamui Air? Water? Fire? Geotech RF800? PRGR Egg 1?

Irons:

Anything out that's truly special?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks.

"I'm", not "it's". "it's" sounds perverted.

That's funny I was going to make the same post askingwhat the latest trend is in drivers.......

seems to me that there haven't been too many interesting releases lately....... except maybe Modart, BAldo.

seems like Yammy is a bit of a miss this year, (or am i mistaken?)..... Tourstage haven't come up with anything new yet....

so for me TRPX, Romero, S-Yard and Epon AF153...... the shallow heads are on my horizon......

but nothing Really stands out.

Still love my 302's on the iron front.

Well this year I was on a quest to find a driver that would be my main gamer. Last year I used the TPRX D excusively and had great results.

During the spring I tested the Maxima G, Kamui Nitro Foam, Kamui Air custom, 2014 Gloire, against the TPRX D.

The Gloire for me only lasted a couple of rounds it was very forgiving and gave good distance, I just couldn't get used to the feel

The Nitro was a very long driver that for the most part found the fairway. The sound or lack there of, was hard to get used to. When the ball strikes the face and makes almost no sound, I lose my sense of whether I made a good strike or not.

The Air is very very long driver head and has great feel at impact. However with my limited skill set I have yet to tame this driver. I have been very inconsistent finding both sides of the fairway.

The Maxima for me works well. It is long and forgiving.Stays in the fairway and has a nice feel at impact.

The TPRX D is not the longest of the bunch but just finds the fairway. Plays a baby cut and that is just fine with me.

So in the end I am probably going to game the TPRX and Maxima this season.

I think the issue is too many great choices.

In no particular order:

- RomaRo Type-R

- Kamui Works Air KM200 Custom

- JBEAM 535

- Modart MA01D

- Maxima & Special Tune

- PRGR Egg1

- Geotech RF800 & Alpha Spec

- Royal Collection XVP Custom Driver

- Mizuno Craft 513

- TRPX D013

All very good drivers above and if you want to get brave:

- P-Tune

- SYB

- Justick Proceed

- Baldo 8C

- Mystery

- Metal Factory

im loving the Kamui Nitro, it is long and I'm a big fan of the quiet muted feel, those with higher swing speeds will absolutely love it !

It has awesome distance / forgiveness !

My runner up was the Epon AF153, it is a fairway finder and very well balanced driver....it is avg length but super forgiving....if you are playing to keep it in the fairway, the Epon is a winner.....i didn't find it high launching whatsoever !

Sticking with the t.388. Awesome combo with the Yamaha RMX Tour MBs behind it.

Agreed, too many good choices. Seems like the most ever at any one time. I wish there was a clear cut winner here. No complaints with the Maxima V except the ever so slightly closed face and non adjustability (some prefer that).

Also, the Modart irons vs the new SUS316s - are the 316s the softest ever? Chris thinks Mizunos are softer...

No buzz yet on the jbeam 535 or the royal collection xvp? I saw the RC the other day and it looks pretty good at address.. Wondering if there's any feedback?

the tourstge adjustable one might be worth a look if u like classic. its gone beck toe ver ymuch like the p551 from a few years back. low punchy and classic tourstge. pretty much no ones flavour.

but its everyting , everything listed above is for sure

Agreed, too many good choices. Seems like the most ever at any one time. I wish there was a clear cut winner here. No complaints with the Maxima V except the ever so slightly closed face and non adjustability (some prefer that).

Also, the Modart irons vs the new SUS316s - are the 316s the softest ever? Chris thinks Mizunos are softer...

Modart is definitely not soft. Has clicky feeling..... very interesting club.

Sus 316 isn't soft either. Since they are forged ss, I expected the softest club ever. I actually think personals and 302 are softer.

That's just me though.

Modart is definitely not soft. Has clicky feeling..... very interesting club.

Sus 316 isn't soft either. Since they are forged ss, I expected the softest club ever. I actually think personals and 302 are softer.

That's just me though.

your correct, the sus is not the softest peon due to being SS.

SS is more firm compared to what Epon uses in their other iron line.

you have a mod art? pics please:)

I think you would enjoy the Mizuno Craft 513. I am surprised more people have not tried it.

I personally think it is the best MP Craft driver to date. Not as demanding as the Craft 611 but still workable compared to full 460cc sized MP Craft drivers of recent years like 425+ or the H4. Not super soft at impact but soft enough. Nice muted thwack that feels and sounds hot. Love the traditional head shape too. I was originally going to get the 9.5P (power version) but I read somewhere that the standard version 9.5 deg had a real loft of around 8 deg so I went with slightly higher launching standard 9.5 and it is perfect for me.

I think I would have struggled to launch the 9.5P with the more forward internal weighting.

I still enjoy hitting the Yamaha V203 from a sound and feel perspective. I think it is close to perfect.

Kind of has that whip crack sound " Whoaachii!! " ( you get the idea :) )

For me, I have gamed a 435, Crazy new 450, Maxima Type V, TRPX D-031, TRPX S-031, Kamui Pro Nitro (foam and non-foam), Epon AF-153, now an Epon Zero and coming a Kamui Works Air (yikes). Distance wise, the Zero and 435 are up there with the Nitro, D-031 and Maxima right behind. For feel, it definitely goes to the Zero or TRPX.

For irons, I have pretty much stuck with MP-64s until I threw 302s in the bag and now gaming 316s (with Onoff 358s to ship soon).

The 316s I would say are in between the MP-64s and 302s in terms of softness. The 302s are some of the most buttery/best feeling/best performing irons still out there. The 316s are slightly more player-esque for a CB than the 302s but more forgiving than the MP-64s (but not as much as the 302s).

I still think the 302s are something special with the 316s challenging them only if you want slightly more feedback that the SS brings and something a tad more player-like...

So Chris, if it narrows down to only S-013 and BM 535,what would you pick? and why?

Modart D is excellent, could be the best looking driver ever and it performs. Irons still have the 13 Onoffs and really like them but prgr Nabla Tours showed up today. Wow nice.

So Chris, if it narrows down to only S-013 and BM 535,what would you pick? and why?

The BM535 is on back order till end of June. There is a very big backlog for this club at the moment so based on demand I would choose the 535 BUT I know the TRPX is a stud and I can't get rid of them, a little loud for me but the feel and performance is a good match for my swing.

I just got my TRPX air shaft the one the long drive guys have been using in Japan and it's going into a Kamui KM200 today if it doesn't behave in that head it's going into a D013 or the S013.

Any reviews of the Geotech conforming 800 series driver?

I have both the RF800 and the RE14 QUELOT. The RF800 is hard off the face and low launching for A 10.5 head. I much prefer the feel of the SYARD T.388 to create a similar ball flight. We have such wet conditions this year that I need more carry. IM PUTTING It ON THE SHELF until conditions dry out. THe QUELOT is autopilot easy to hit. Even easier than the MAXIMA. It has a crisp feel at impact, and I hit a nice mid high controlled draw with good carry and distance. It plays similar to the ORIGINAL GLOIRE. I have a CRAZY RD in it.

Edited by driverhead

2014 is the most confusing year for drivers, too many great choices.

In no particular order, I'd pick:

Roddio Type-S
Romaro Type-R

Modart MA01S/D

ONOFF Type-S

Ryoma Maxima ST

Kamui Air

have tried so many but fell in love with so few...mmmm

Just gamed yammy 460 with mana w60 and OMG....I want them all...! or enough to last a lifetime at least.

other than that

CRZ 450

T388

AF 103

Havent tried the new ryoma's as yet....yet!