Classics

chuck4golf

Any feedback on the R1?

Cool.

I'm trying to bring in some sets of these to refinish and offer up.

I fight the urge to buy those every time the rare opportunity pops up. You're gonna really test my will power if you do that!!!

Wow, those are something entirely different from what I see on ebay! Were there JDM versions, or were these refined by you? That's a club that fits the bill beautifully. I'm pretty shocked to tell you the truth.

(edit) So I found one tsg blurb on these - that's the way the jdm heads were sold. Stunning difference in look from even the tour issue tp's. This set I would want, but those I saw on ebay left me totally flat.

Edited by chuck4golf

Those JDM r9 TPs seem to be super rare, rarely see them even when you spend a day rummaging through used clubs shops in Tokyo.

ooooooh a custom set of these wud be unreal.

the a-grind r1 are the sharpest tool in the shed for a CB ive ever seen by a country mile.

they are micro thin topline. fat thru the body for a really thumping impact and they are EASILY as workable as any blade u cud think of.

not soft, they are a denser feel. I was contemplating these and the buchi202s, but then the honma tw series came out and I went all in of blades.. I guess if I was to get another cpl o sets of cbs it wud be the r1s and the buchis.

Black Satin brushed Nickel Copper underlay yeah could be insane.

Ive currently got 4 sets on the way to us where we will yank the shaft, do our best to polish dings away, then refinish and sell.

1 x Copper + Satin Finish

1 x Soft Black Hand Polished

1 x Smoked Copper

1 x Black Boron

I had the TP JDM version for a while, not sure the year 2011 maybe....the ones with the horizontal milling in the cavity, but at the time didn't have the game.

Sold them to one of our local lads who made the final 4 in the last couple years in club champs since gaming them.

Had them fitted with a set of shimada tours.

Gamed them for the last 3 years with obviously outstanding results. This was his first JDM and sure it wont be his last.

Great forgings.

Edited by hutchy

While a darkhorse came from way back in the pack - some used Vega cb's with right weight/flex mci from pinggolf at a great price- when Chris sells these r9's it will be difficult to not try them. But for now, I have this players cb slot filled. Now if the portended floods in so cal will hold off for a few weeks, I am about to indulge in a golf orgy. Play the game. Sub-76 or bust.

This thread was fun to read. You guys really know a lot about great gear. I had zero knowledge about prgr or these tm's. It is tempting to try them all out. Oh, I forgot. My ho'ing days are ending.

Ha. We'll see!

I would echo what Stew said about the A-Grind R1 CB. Incredibly solid club, dense hit, beautiful brushed satin look in the bag. My personal best scoring number on my home course with OTi shafts in this club.

RLL, being an utter nerd and having time to doodle, I created a little weighted matrix to look at all these suggestions. Pseudo objectivity. Depending on my mood, each club won. Point îs, these are all great examples of classic heads. Just depends on taste preferences and fit.

Yea these are good too loved these my mates still got his set.

2007 i think they are maybe?

Damn good irons! These Then they started tommake absolte shiiiite

What a toilet company model tm has fkkn toilet.

Edited by supo67

Yea these are good too loved these my mates still got his set.

2007 i think they are maybe?

Damn good irons! These Then they started tommake absolte shiiiite

What a toilet company model tm has fkkn toilet.

lol....Steady on ninja...But you right I guess. Dont think purity and materials are on the top of the adidas hit list when it comes to making golf clubs.

Bring back the flags I say.

Yeah, 2007 was my last TM's, too. Beautiful simple CB's similar to these and with the flag in the cavity. Think they were called XD's or something like that.

Chuck, I feel your pain/gain matrix. ;=]. It does come down to taste on some level. I hear the great things about PRGR, too, but for me their stuff is... well... ugly. Not quite where TM has gone -- ie, in the toilet -- but for JDM, for me, it's crass looking. Feel would have to be off the charts for me not to have nightmares about the look...

Good luck in your search. (And with giving up ho'ing... ;=]. )

RLL, I think the TM that Chris posted looks very good. Yeah, the PRGR are not real attractive, but then the stuff I read about it's playability was also not what I want in this set.

Vega's arrive tomorrow. As excited as I have ever been for new set. If they work, irons are set. Wedges next.

RLL, I think the TM that Chris posted looks very good. Yeah, the PRGR are not real attractive, but then the stuff I read about it's playability was also not what I want in this set.

Vega's arrive tomorrow. As excited as I have ever been for new set. If they work, irons are set. Wedges next.

Funny how we all see things differently. For me there'sno way the TM clubs look better than the PRGRs menioned, especially the TR500 model.