Bridgestone Science Eye Portable

Duffer19

T, will you be adding the software and usb in the proshop also? if so, how much is it? if i order i'd like to do it at the same time so as to combine the shipping costs. is the software going to be in japanese only? i hope it's also in english...

Edited by leepark

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few questions.

Will the magnetic strips be reusable? Is it a tape or magnet that makes it stick to the club?

Does the software comes in english language?

Will the instruction manual be translated to english?

Are the units in english/metric or just metric?

We will add software by the weekend guys. In regards to the translation we can post a screen capture of the software or program with instructions via the forum.

We have not received ours yet so we don't know if there is an English option. I really don't think there would be, so count on troubleshooting to be done in the forums.

T, will you be adding the software and usb in the proshop also? if so, how much is it? if i order i'd like to do it at the same time so as to combine the shipping costs. is the software going to be in japanese only? i hope it's also in english...

S, the Science Eye can already be ordered in the pro shop with different combos including with or without the software. Ordering everything together would combine and save on shipping.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to use Trackman on a frequent basis, which is a $40k machine. Now golfers can have something similar for only $100 is incredible. I love how it hooks up to a laptop. Being able to use a machine like this on a daily basis is going to save me a lot of strokes. Thank you Japan!!

I'm fortunate enough to be able to use Trackman on a frequent basis, which is a $40k machine. Now golfers can have something similar for only $100 is incredible. I love how it hooks up to a laptop. Being able to use a machine like this on a daily basis is going to save me a lot of strokes. Thank you Japan!!

Since you use the Trackman on a frequent basis (BTW I'm proud, when I say that the inventors of the trackman device are two danish guys) could you do a head to head comparison between the Trackman and this $100 Bridgestone device to tell how precise it is, compared to the real pro stuff ?

Got one today.

Works mostly as advertised.

You turn it on, select a club, apply a magnet sticker to the club head, position the device and swing away.

The device is supposed to measure club head speed, simple direction (in-out, out-in straight) and distance.

I've not used a professional tracker in a while, so I can't vouch for the accuracy. however it seems like it works. if I hit the shot fat, the average speed would drop 30-50%.

It has a mph setting as well, but the default is m/s. The instructions are in Japanese, but you don't really need japanese to use the device, if someone gives you the basic instructions.

If you don't position the device 5cm to the right and 15cm up from the ball, your reading will be incorrect. To help with this, there is a "cheat sheet" card included that is 5x15cm.

the little magnets are semi-reusable. I figure you could reuse them a few times befure the stickyness wears off. the set of ten extra magnets only cost 380 yen (approx 3.50$). I tried taking one of the driver, and there was no gummy residue at all. stuck it back on the driver okay.

The distance measurements aren't that helpful. It can't tell if you top or shank the ball for example. however the headspeed measurements are great. I don't know if the out-in, in-out, straight information is accurate. in my short test, it was all over the place. that being said, my swing is all over the place.

The SW isn't as impressive. First, you have to install japanese language support as shown here and here.

Then you have to install the drivers... twice. there is no nice installer, you have to plug in the device and point the windows driver search to the CD. It's kind of pain.

The SW itself use downloads a cvs file from the device. the CVS file could be opened by excel if you want. The ScienceEye software present some pretty graphs but I am not sure it's that necessary. you probably could create equivalent and more useful graphs in excel. The SW itself also only does m/s

All in all, I think this is a tremendous tool. A knockout price on a small, portable, lightweight device. The internal memory is limited, so I suggest getting the SW if you want to track your head speed over a long time (the course of a season or what not). like I said, the SW itself isn't that great, but you do need the drivers and the USB cable.

any questions?

Got one today.

Works mostly as advertised.

You turn it on, select a club, apply a magnet sticker to the club head, position the device and swing away.

The device is supposed to measure club head speed, simple direction (in-out, out-in straight) and distance.

I've not used a professional tracker in a while, so I can't vouch for the accuracy. however it seems like it works. if I hit the shot fat, the average speed would drop 30-50%.

It has a mph setting as well, but the default is m/s. The instructions are in Japanese, but you don't really need japanese to use the device, if someone gives you the basic instructions.

If you don't position the device 5cm to the right and 15cm up from the ball, your reading will be incorrect. To help with this, there is a "cheat sheet" card included that is 5x15cm.

the little magnets are semi-reusable. I figure you could reuse them a few times befure the stickyness wears off. the set of ten extra magnets only cost 380 yen (approx 3.50$). I tried taking one of the driver, and there was no gummy residue at all. stuck it back on the driver okay.

The distance measurements aren't that helpful. It can't tell if you top or shank the ball for example. however the headspeed measurements are great. I don't know if the out-in, in-out, straight information is accurate. in my short test, it was all over the place. that being said, my swing is all over the place.

The SW isn't as impressive. First, you have to install japanese language support as shown here and here.

Then you have to install the drivers... twice. there is no nice installer, you have to plug in the device and point the windows driver search to the CD. It's kind of pain.

The SW itself use downloads a cvs file from the device. the CVS file could be opened by excel if you want. The ScienceEye software present some pretty graphs but I am not sure it's that necessary. you probably could create equivalent and more useful graphs in excel. The SW itself also only does m/s

All in all, I think this is a tremendous tool. A knockout price on a small, portable, lightweight device. The internal memory is limited, so I suggest getting the SW if you want to track your head speed over a long time (the course of a season or what not). like I said, the SW itself isn't that great, but you do need the drivers and the USB cable.

any questions?

Awesome review NT!

Did you try it on a USA PC with Vista or a Nihon PC?

Awesome review NT!

Did you try it on a USA PC with Vista or a Nihon PC?

Actually, the machine is a MacBookPro, running US version windows XP under parrallels.

The SW says XP/Vista compatible, so I think we can assume a US version of Vista would work as well.

any questions?

Can I see the data from the .cvs file ? I'm curious what data is saved. Feel free to post some data as is in this thread!

To confirm - does this unit capture ball speed, spin, and launch angle?

Thanks,

Todd

All4Golf

Can I see the data from the .cvs file ? I'm curious what data is saved. Feel free to post some data as is in this thread!

To confirm - does this unit capture ball speed, spin, and launch angle?

Thanks,

Todd

All4Golf

26.7, 117.0, 0.00,I6, -2

22.5, 98.0, 1.31,I6, -2

25.0, 109.0, 1.42,I6, 2

28.7, 159.0, 0.00,W1, 2

38.3, 212.0, 0.00,W1, 0

36.7, 186.0, 1.54,W5, 0

36.9, 187.0, 0.00,W5, 1

There are no headers in the csv, but it corresponds to:

head speed m/s, est. distance, total swing time, club selection, and club swing path.

for head direction, negative means in -> out, positive means out -> in, and 0 means straight.

total swing time is sometimes zero because I didn't address the ball correctly (w/ respect to the science eye)

The device only tracks the club head. it doesn't track the ball at all. basically this means you are limited to the data above. no ball speed spin or launch angle.

for the price however, it's still amazing. I think it's most useful at a driving range. You can see how the ball goes and keep track of the head speed. It's basically useless on the course. I'd imagine it would also be very helpful if you were practicing your swings into a net or something. It's not perfect, but the head speed will give you an idea of how far and how consistently you are hitting the ball.

26.7, 117.0, 0.00,I6, -2

22.5, 98.0, 1.31,I6, -2

25.0, 109.0, 1.42,I6, 2

28.7, 159.0, 0.00,W1, 2

38.3, 212.0, 0.00,W1, 0

36.7, 186.0, 1.54,W5, 0

36.9, 187.0, 0.00,W5, 1

There are no headers in the csv, but it corresponds to:

head speed m/s, est. distance, total swing time, club selection, and club swing path.

for head direction, negative means in -> out, positive means out -> in, and 0 means straight.

total swing time is sometimes zero because I didn't address the ball correctly (w/ respect to the science eye)

The device only tracks the club head. it doesn't track the ball at all. basically this means you are limited to the data above. no ball speed spin or launch angle.

for the price however, it's still amazing. I think it's most useful at a driving range. You can see how the ball goes and keep track of the head speed. It's basically useless on the course. I'd imagine it would also be very helpful if you were practicing your swings into a net or something. It's not perfect, but the head speed will give you an idea of how far and how consistently you are hitting the ball.

Thanks for the reply and data. You make good points about headspeed feedback and achieving consistency.

A golfer familiar with launch monitor feedback in addition to this unit will be able to bridge the gap of if my head speed is ___ , it translates into a ball speed of ____ .

Is there a contact I can use to inquire further? Please PM me with the details.

Regards,

Todd

All4Golf

Looks like a cool little device but as stated by some other people that have used it, it doesn't do ball speed, spin or launch (which to be honest, are probably the three most important things). I think it's something nice to measure your swing speed..maybe against your buddies or something....but the distance is just some number based on the clubhead speed and face angle (and what club you selected), the results won't be very accurate....

Looks like a cool little device but as stated by some other people that have used it, it doesn't do ball speed, spin or launch (which to be honest, are probably the three most important things). I think it's something nice to measure your swing speed..maybe against your buddies or something....but the distance is just some number based on the clubhead speed and face angle (and what club you selected), the results won't be very accurate....

Do not expect performance of a $5,000 Vector from a $120 portable machine. Look at it as cool toy that you can take it to the range or in your basement/backyard.

Wondering if any of the experts here can help. Received mine recently. But since I can't read the Japanese instructions, I have a problem toggling the switches to read swing speed, yardages, etc...

On top of the equipment, there is a power button, a club selection button, and a "data" button. I can't figure how to toggle the switches so I can get data for yardages.

Thanks for the help.

Do not expect performance of a $5,000 Vector from a $120 portable machine. Look at it as cool toy that you can take it to the range or in your basement/backyard.

Yeah..that's what I just said...it's like a cool little toy you can mess around with but it's not a launch monitor...

I just ordered mine today. For those of you that ordered it in the US, how long did it take to get once you placed your order to it arriving?

thanks!

I just ordered mine today. For those of you that ordered it in the US, how long did it take to get once you placed your order to it arriving?

thanks!

I received an email from Jacque with the tracking number on October 19th, it was mailed on 18th and arrived at my Florida address on 20th!!!!! Frigging awesome! :atsg_smilie_roll:

Now to find some time to use it and figure out the buttons!

Oct 18 17:37 Posting/Collection FUSE Branch Osaka prefecture

Oct 19 1:42 Dispatch from outward office of exchange OSAKA INTERNATIONAL Branch Osaka prefecture

Oct 19 16:26 Arrival at inward office of exchange AMC JFK NY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Oct 20 09:41 Processing at delivery Post Office 34203 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Oct 20 10:28 Processing at delivery Post Office 34203 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Oct 20 11:11 Final delivery 34203 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Cheers

-Keng

EMS Japan is one of the best and you also gain a day crossing the dateline.

Edited by Duffer19

HELP NEEDED.

I rec'd the science eye today, however I can't get it to register a swing. The red lights blink, but no numbers show other than the 0.0. Rarely, if I accidently brush the club or just the magnet near the unit I get it to capture, but I am definately missing something. Can someone who has this unit help me?

Thanks.

Dennis