Miura CB 2006 vs. MB 5003

Richmond Golfer

How do these two compare for feel and forgiveness. I only ask because of the reputed ease and forgiveness of the MB 5003 which may it the logical choice over the CB 2006?

Actually the MB-5003 just happens to be much more forgiving than anyone ever expected. The MB-5003 is considered by Miura Giken as a pro-spec model geared towards scratch golfers while the CB-2006 is a standard model aimed at low to even good ball striking mid cappers. The CB-2006 is not as compact as the MB-5003 and with it's cavity "should" technically be more forgiving, it does have slightly more offset as well. Feel wise the CB-2006 uses the same steel and forging process of course has a different design. We still need to test them out and see how they feel.

post-8383-1222742296.jpg

post-8383-1222742300.jpg

post-8383-1222742304.jpg

post-8383-1222742309.jpg

post-8383-1222742313.jpg

Actually the MB-5003 just happens to be much more forgiving than anyone ever expected. The MB-5003 is considered by Miura Giken as a pro-spec model geared towards scratch golfers while the CB-2006 is a standard model aimed at low to even good ball striking mid cappers. The CB-2006 is not as compact as the MB-5003 and with it's cavity "should" technically be more forgiving, it does have slightly more offset as well. Feel wise the CB-2006 uses the same steel and forging process of course has a different design. We still need to test them out and see how they feel.

post-8383-1222742296.jpg

post-8383-1222742300.jpg

post-8383-1222742304.jpg

post-8383-1222742309.jpg

post-8383-1222742313.jpg

T,

I should be able to give you a Review of the CB2006 by Friday at the latest as my set of CB2006's should hit here any time now. I am excited to put these puppies to the test...launch monitor, distance and carry, feel and above all dispersion, then on to the course (if the weather holds, Sic) for a playing condition shakedown.

Goodsie

T,

I should be able to give you a Review of the CB2006 by Friday at the latest as my set of CB2006's should hit here any time now. I am excited to put these puppies to the test...launch monitor, distance and carry, feel and above all dispersion, then on to the course (if the weather holds, Sic) for a playing condition shakedown.

Goodsie

Thanks Goodsie. as always I look forward to your feedback. I have a feeling these will have that Miura feel coupled with forgiveness. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Goodsie. as always I look forward to your feedback. I have a feeling these will have that Miura feel coupled with forgiveness. Let us know how it goes!

I note that, as with all Miura models, the 2006 comes in both steel fit and carbon fit which is slightly heavier. Would carbon fit heads be offered at the proshop as well selected as graphite shafts option?

Edited by Duffer19

T,

FYI. The CB2006 heads that I received have misbored hosels. They average .342 which, as you might guess, is a far cry from the .355 Tapered. I have already sent a strongly worded email to Miura about this. The hosels must be rebored for these CB2006 heads to be usable. I am angry that Miura could make such a glaring mistake. Miura advertises that the CB2006 is made in Japan, but with this mistake, it makes you wonder!!

Goodsie

Edited by Goodsie

T,

FYI. The CB2006 heads that I received have misbored hosels. They average .342 which, as you might guess, is a far cry from the .355 Tapered. I have already sent a strongly worded email to Miura about this. The hosels must be rebored for these CB2006 heads to be usable. I am angry that Miura could make such a glaring mistake. Miura advertises that the CB2006 is made in Japan, but with this mistake, it makes you wonder!!

Goodsie

Its not misbored, It is Miura. All their irons are like that.

Its not misbored, It is Miura. All their irons are like that.

On the Spec sheet on the original listing, when you posted and announced the intro of the CB2006, it clearly states that the hosel is 9.1(9.3) which is .355 (H). Mirua then doesn't bore to that Spec? Is that what you are saying?

On the Spec sheet on the original listing, when you posted and announced the intro of the CB2006, it clearly states that the hosel is 9.1(9.3) which is .355 (H). Mirua then doesn't bore to that Spec? Is that what you are saying?

I sure feel that way. I have checked about 5-6 sets of heads and all of them are way to tight of a squeeze down the hosel.

That just doesn't make any sense. How can these heads not be to "spec"?

JMO... but Miura has dropped the ball somewhere along the line in the finishing process with these heads.

I would think they would want them back ASAP and make them right.

T,

Goodsie

Having to bore the hosels in the Miura heads did not start with either the CB2006 or MB5003. It is a Miura trait that goes well back.

Having to bore the hosels in the Miura heads did not start with either the CB2006 or MB5003. It is a Miura trait that goes well back.

I thought one of the "Advantages" of the spin welded hosels were the tight tolerances...must not be the case or I don't understand the advantages of spin welding!

I thought one of the "Advantages" of the spin welded hosels were the tight tolerances...must not be the case or I don't understand the advantages of spin welding!

I don't know. I just play golf and all I really care about is how the club feels and performs. I don't set up the clubs myself, but I've heard from my clubmaker and from others that they've had to bore the hosels. Regardless, the gives me a spec sheet of headweight, swing weight, etc. when he's done and I've set up all my other sets to those numbers regardless of the type of head or different type of shafts I've tried. I think a good clubmaker makes adjustments to the clubs for the individual person. I've played other people's set of Miura and I thought they felt terrible. Like the old saying goes, if you go to a demo day and you like the demo, it's probably best that you buy demo rather than ordering a new set.

I sure feel that way. I have checked about 5-6 sets of heads and all of them are way to tight of a squeeze down the hosel.

For Pete's Sake!! Just because that is the way Miura has "always" done it, does not make it right!!! They print spec's then don't follow them and we just sit on our hands and do nothing. Apathy is one of the last stages before we lose out totally on freedom's, the right to think and act.

I probably stand alone here because I challenge the Holy Grail of Golf, but alone I will be because Miura is at fault for putting out less than a desirable finished product. I can't tell you how much email I've received telling me that the clubs are great and that they have had to make adjustments to the undersized hosel just to play them. What is up with that? Water drip torture has won out here??

It is as simple as having Miura get a slightly larger drill bit when the Spin hosel slugs are almost finished. That isn't too hard of a thing to do...right?? Instead Miura pushes out crap hosel dimensions and we just think that's great. Baloney!! I'm gonna do my part with a reverse water drip torture to Miura. Excuse my rant here but enough is enough.

For Pete's Sake!! Just because that is the way Miura has "always" done it, does not make it right!!! They print spec's then don't follow them and we just sit on our hands and do nothing. Apathy is one of the last stages before we lose out totally on freedom's, the right to think and act.

I probably stand alone here because I challenge the Holy Grail of Golf, but alone I will be because Miura is at fault for putting out less than a desirable finished product. I can't tell you how much email I've received telling me that the clubs are great and that they have had to make adjustments to the undersized hosel just to play them. What is up with that? Water drip torture has won out here??

It is as simple as having Miura get a slightly larger drill bit when the Spin hosel slugs are almost finished. That isn't too hard of a thing to do...right?? Instead Miura pushes out crap hosel dimensions and we just think that's great. Baloney!! I'm gonna do my part with a reverse water drip torture to Miura. Excuse my rant here but enough is enough.

No need to apologize Goodsie for your rant, you have every right to do so. I didn't even know this was the case myself as I don't play Miura's and haven't in the past. I was surprised to find this out from Chris as well. It doesn't really make sense to me either so go right ahead and torture them. (^_^)

I doubt this is the real reason. But is it possible that the hosel are left smaller as the inside of the hosel are not finished and rusting may develop if stored for a long time. When it's bored, you don't have the problem of shafting into a potentially rusty hosel. Or maybe Miura just wants authorized clubmakers who expect it to do the shafting and torture nonauthorized clubmakers.

Goodsie,

I hope this gets worked out to your satisifaction. It is not acceptable in my eyes. I've never understood the "mystique" though, hit a few different Miura irons, I feel the irons in your "sig" are better than the Miura's I've hit.

Again, good luck and keep up the good fight!

This Morning I took measurements of 15 brand new sets of the new CB-2006 irons and 100% of them are exactly as you mentioned.

They do this because they want only credible club makers to assemble the product meaning that they need to do a slight bore on the hosel pre shaft install.

Another reason is Miura claims that they do this to prevent rust in the hosel area from forming.

Question, I thought Miura claimed that their weight tolerance is the closest in the industry +/- 0.5gm per head..

If qualified clubmaker need to bore out to make shafts fit, doesn't that kill the tight tolerance??

I understand that there are tolerances on the grip and shaft and that the club maker would probably need to make adjustments to hit certain swingweight.

But I still don't see the point.. I guess the rust thing is why they do it???

Question, I thought Miura claimed that their weight tolerance is the closest in the industry +/- 0.5gm per head..

If qualified clubmaker need to bore out to make shafts fit, doesn't that kill the tight tolerance??

I understand that there are tolerances on the grip and shaft and that the club maker would probably need to make adjustments to hit certain swingweight.

But I still don't see the point.. I guess the rust thing is why they do it???

IMO the rust excuse isn't very valid but it is an effective tool to make sure those who are doing the assembly have their act together to some extent.

The reason why Miura has very tight tolerance is because the hosel is a separate piece from the head itself aka spin welded.

The clubmaker dispite the tolerance should check the swing weight and adjust to the customers request using methods like tip weights, tungsten powder, or lead tape.

This Morning I took measurements of 15 brand new sets of the new CB-2006 irons and 100% of them are exactly as you mentioned.

They do this because they want only credible club makers to assemble the product meaning that they need to do a slight bore on the hosel pre shaft install.

Another reason is Miura claims that they do this to prevent rust in the hosel area from forming.

Does Miura have a Worldwide list of Creditable Clubmakers? I pity the poor guy in Nigeria that just bought some of these misbored club heads. This whole thing does not make sense, again!! But, I'm on the hunt to find out what is going on and the trail is getting twisty, to say the least.

Edited by Goodsie

Does Miura have a Worldwide list of Creditable Clubmakers? I pity the poor guy in Nigeria that just bought some of these misbored club heads. This whole thing does not make sense, again!! But, I'm on the hunt to find out what is going on and the trail is getting twisty, to say the least.

Yes, they will suggest their accounts.

I will say that you need not dig anymore because the reason given in my post above is the actual reason and Miura will say the same.

Yes you will have to have it bored a bit bigger, and no it isnt enough to change weight much but overall the product is very good and the CB 2006 you have is one damn sexy iron.