FORGED - Mizuno vs. Titleist

Mikey

I know that most of you out there are forged iron players as myself.

I was just wondering out there how many play Mizuno or Titleist and if they have played both, which do you prefer?

I have played both. It seems to me that I have over the years thought that Mizuno has made the best looking and feeling forged irons next to Tourstage and Miura.

Personally, I think I like the feel overall of the Mizuno forgings. I have a set of the MP-30's with Flighted Rifles and just love them.

A friend bought a set of the Titleist 690.cb's with Rifle shafts. I hit a few of them and I think I still do like the feel of the Mizuno forgings better.

I just thought I would see out there the response on this and get other opinions.

I think also that anyone looking for a great set of forgings right now, check out Mizuno on ebay. I have found so many sets that are sold and selling for under $600 and that is a steal if you aske me.

Before playing the MP30s, I have owned MP14s, (3) MP29s, MP11s and (2) Pros. I have owned Titleist 690mbs and '97 tour models. I have to say the Mizunos are softer and better feeling for me. The Titleists wear better on the range, though.

While I have also played both , 29's and the .MB's , to me the 29's felt great while the 690's had a totally different feel that I still can't describe .

Not good and not bad just not what I was use to .

But I did find that the 690's wear from range use was terrible .

My 7 iron looks like the chrome has just disappeared on it and I'm still fighting with them to take it back and either rechrome it or send me a new one .

Thats one of the reasons I will never buy a Titleist product again other then a Scotty putter .!!!

I had Mizuno MP-33's and am currently playing 690.cbs and have had the no dots also.

I know what a knife cutting threw butter is when I'm having my morning toast but I still don't know what that feels like with golf clubs. The closest thing to butter IMO is the MR-23 US Spec blades.

After reading all the reviews on the MP-33's, I had to try them. I thought they were nice and felt sweet when hit solid. I actually shot 85 the first two times out of the box. Then the honeymoon was over. Too much of a penalty on mis**ts and the vibrations killed my wrists. Nice clubs for the consistent hitter of the sweet spot, not for me. I play for two weeks, then take two weeks off and in the summer, I've only played twice the past two years.

I had the 690 no dots and shot 82 first time out with those. They didn't feel as soft as the Mizunos on solid shots but on mis**ts they didn't vibrate either.

I have the 690 dots now with Project X 6.5, shot 82 today in windy conditions. These feel sweeter and softer than the no dots when hit solid and the mis**ts don't kill you either.

I would say the biggest difference is that the Mizuno's felt sweeter when hit solid and the Titleists are more forgiving.

Just my 2 cents

I've played both, lots of different variations from either, and its hard to say.

With Mizuno, IMO, everything from them is pretty similar in terms of feel. The 14s feel similar to the 9s, which feel similar to the 33s, which feel are similar to the MS-5 etc. There isn't enough of a noticable difference between feel with those clubs no matter what era they were produced IMO.

Titleist is different. There's a huge difference between how the older Tour Models felt vs. the 97 Custom grind. And its a jump again to the 681, another jump to the 681T, and now the 690s at least to me, feel different than the 680. Theres no consistency I guess. So while I preferred the feel of the 681T to Mizuno's stuff, I didn't like the Tour Models better.

That said, I'm an oddball here, I'd dump both of them and go with something from Hogan. I've always preferred that feel over anything else.

I have talked to several club builders about this and they all said that overall the quality and consistency of Mizuno is #1. I'm talking Head weights, Lofts, and Lie angles are much better than any other OEM including TM, Tourstage, and Miura.

I have not given Mizuno a valid chance to make it into the bag but in 2 weeks my custom set comes in and then I will have a personal opinion on this subject.

Chris.....

What is the price on the Mizuno MP-30's in the satin finish, no paint fill??

I would be interested possibly in a set with TF Rifles (6.0's ) and of course, US specs. for loft, lie, length, etc.

Mike

I've hit the 690 MBs and the MP33s at the range and couldn't feel the difference, felt very similar, but again that's with range balls, true test would be a ProV or HX tour test drive on hardpan summer fairways.

I agree, biggest deciding factor would be quality of finish, sounds like Mizuno heads that up.

I have talked to several club builders about this and they all said that overall the quality and consistency  of Mizuno is #1. I'm talking Head weights, Lofts, and Lie angles are much better than any other OEM including TM, Tourstage, and Miura.

For Mizuno Japan stuff thats usually true. Mizuno US not at all. There's all sorts of horror stories of people pulling shafts only to discover that the head wasn't the right weight and they'd poured lead on it. The US custom order department isn't the greatest in terms of getting what you want done. I've seen several that were so far off it was ridiculous. Lofts and lie angles have varied greatly from set to set depending on which ones you got. It wasn't a big issue with say the Mp-14 or MP-29 but with the MP-33 they were all over the board in my experience.

Mizuno Japan on the other hand has been spot on in every situation I've been involved with, and I've only known one or two people who've had problem with them. And even then that was the person's fault not Mizuno's. They kind of forgot that the standard lie angle for Mizuno Japan used to be much flatter than the standard American lie angle, so when they ordered the clubs didn't come to the spec they wanted.

I have mizuno MP-33s and hit the 690s extensively. I would actually put the 690s ahead of the -33s in terms of feel. Nothing huge, and I was only personal preference - but I thought the Zunos were too soft & just didnt really "feel" nice. I liked the more solid feeling 690s.

My 670s on the other hand are much better. The nickel-copper underlay really changes the clubs feel, and even with the dulling feeling due to PX shafts, they are noticeably more lively. It is hard to put it into words but in terms of forging I would go with this: (from what I have played)

Scratch

Tourstage MR-23

670s with nickel copper

690s

RAC Miura CBs

MP-33s

Mizuno's are softer - I have no doubt. Played the 33's for 2 years and played the 690mb's for several months now. HOWEVER, the U grooves on the mizuno's create too much spin. Also, the sole grind of the 690mb's (I know - not feel related) - is perfect. I'm sticking w/ the Titleist. I wish the 33's didn't create so much spin - b/c they are very soft.

I have talked to several club builders about this and they all said that overall the quality and consistency of Mizuno is #1. I'm talking Head weights, Lofts, and Lie angles are much better than any other OEM including TM, Tourstage, and Miura.

I have not given Mizuno a valid chance to make it into the bag but in 2 weeks my custom set comes in and then I will have a personal opinion on this subject.

Brushed satin? You'll post pics of course? :)

I have had 2 sets of MP-14's which have lasted me 8 years out of the 9 I've been playing. I need new irons but I have yet to find blades that I like better. When the 33's came out I was excited about Mizuno's new clubs but when I hit them they felt a bit hard similar to the hogan Apex blades when the new style became popular. I have hit the 681's (hope its the right number) from titleist and thought they were very nice and soft. Just not quite to my liking yet. Still no hole in one. lol G

I have to add my vote for Mizuno, although I play an North American spec blade. I (happily) haven't seen any of the inconsistencies that are mentioned in this thread. They are like butter. It'll take something special to take em out of my bag.

I vote for the Mizuno's , but I am a little biased since I am playing them right now, after testing them against other brands.

Used to play Titleist, but decided to change, its nice to stick to one brand if you are happy, but it is also nice to change.

I think that the Mizuno's are softer than the Titleist no doubt. However even though I like a soft feel with my irons, the Tilteist feel is very nice, its hard to describe.

Either way you cant go wrong with any of these two brands it all comes down to personal feel and preference.

• 2 weeks later...

Played / owned the MP: 29's, 14's (2), 33's, 30"s

Titleist:681's, 690's, 680's

Mizuno wins, which is why I have a custom set of 33's on the way. The Mizuno forging is superior to Titleist with the exception of the 681's; their forgings by Hoffman were very good and on a level with Mizuno for feel. The finishing of the Mizuno forged blades is without peer. I think I have cured the shot trajectory "issue" with the 33's by lower lofts; their feel and foregiveness are special.

I have talked to several club builders about this and they all said that overall the quality and consistency  of Mizuno is #1. I'm talking Head weights, Lofts, and Lie angles are much better than any other OEM including TM, Tourstage, and Miura.

How much for a cutom set with satin finish? The one where I can choose where the M will be stamped and have my initials stamped? Just drop me a PM if you can get these for me.

Jovi

I had Mizuno MP-33's and am currently playing 690.cbs and have had the no dots also.

I know what a knife cutting threw butter is when I'm having my morning toast but I still don't know what that feels like with golf clubs. The closest thing to butter IMO is the MR-23 US Spec blades.

After reading all the reviews on the MP-33's, I had to try them. I thought they were nice and felt sweet when hit solid. I actually shot 85 the first two times out of the box. Then the honeymoon was over. Too much of a penalty on mis**ts and the vibrations killed my wrists. Nice clubs for the consistent hitter of the sweet spot, not for me. I play for two weeks, then take two weeks off and in the summer, I've only played twice the past two years.

I had the 690 no dots and shot 82 first time out with those. They didn't feel as soft as the Mizunos on solid shots but on mis**ts they didn't vibrate either.

I have the 690 dots now with Project X 6.5, shot 82 today in windy conditions. These feel sweeter and softer than the no dots when hit solid and the mis**ts don't kill you either.

I would say the biggest difference is that the Mizuno's felt sweeter when hit solid and the Titleists are more forgiving.

Just my 2 cents

i would say neone using blades playing of a handicap of 5 or above is kidding themselves. god some most pros dont even use blades

Perhaps you are right - but how do you know? Might want to get off your high horse just a little bit.

I played Mizunos for years (MP-29, TP-19, T-Zoid...) and loved the feel. Recently I started playing the Titleist 690.cb, and I was very impressed. Impact felt very soft, but I attribute that to the cavity-back design. What really impressed me was the positive effect of the aggressive grind on the leading edge. Most of the older Mizuno forgings had very little bounce, and a softer leading edge, which would allow the club to dig a bit if you really trapped the ball.

For my swing, right now, the Titleist 690.cb performs beautifully. Since I do not have my clubs ground to spec, I have to really research the design of a club before I make a purchase. In this case, I opted for improved performance over slightly better feel.

Just my 2 cents

i would say neone using blades playing of a handicap of 5 or above is kidding themselves. god some most pros dont even use blades

Oh, I don't know. I'm a 9.6 and just shot 76 on a tough mountain course with my Mizunos. Played Pings for years, had three sets, when I switched, it was like, why did I take so long to do it? I guess YMMV.

Just my 2 cents

So because the pro's don't use them I shouldn't? perhaps some of us like kidding ourselves...I carry a 1.6 but I don't play blades because of that, it's because I like the way they look, feel, and sometimes inspire confidence.. nuf said

Of the two I prefer the Mizuno's over Titleist and the only reason I can offer is because..just a look, feel thing with me..as always just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

I played Mizuno MP-33's and Titleist 690.CB's both with 6.5 TFR's and for me I would have to give the 690.CB's the nod. Both are excellent clubs, with outstanding feel and good ability to work your shots. I just found the 690's fit my swing and game a little better.

That said, neither of them can match the performance of my TourStage Z101's, they are just the best feeling and performing Irons I've ever used!